Best filleting knife

Wiskas

Hi Wiskas,

I've tried quite a few and most are pretty good. You get what you pay for so, for a really good knife, be prepared to spend a bit of money.

That being said, I reckon the best thing you could do with whatever knife you get, is to invest in a good oilstone and learn how to use it. 

As long as your knife is razor sharp it'll do the job. A blunt knife is a recipe for frustration and is a pain in the backside.

There's plenty of youtube clips on sharpening knives and, if you spend a bit of time and effort learning how to do it properly, you'll be really well served by your fishing knives.

KB

I have 9 or 10 fileting knifes (I have a knife problem I know )  and I constantly use the same knife it's a semi flex 150mm blade I think it's a rapala I like the shorter blade lengths even on larger fish. As previously mentioned you get what you pay for but regardless you need to keep a sharp knife.

Thanks Blackfish

I’ll be sure to have a look at the forum on that topic, cheers. 

Kingie Chaser, budget up to $100. What would you consider in that price range?

Thanks Micon01 for that information. 

Cheers all

Wiskas

Aside from a good knife I’d recommend booking yourself in to a course on how to sharpen knifes properly. Butchers and knife manufacturers run them, or even jump on YouTube and watch videos If that’s more your style. I find it much easier to learn in person. Had a butcher show me a few years ago and even though I am far from an expert, and even though I’d use a stone and steel regularly I was surprised at how much sharper my knifes could be if done properly. Also the sharper the knife the less chance of cutting yourself when filleting as you use way less pressure 

By the way I have 2 Dexter Russel knives I’ve had for almost 15 years And would highly recommend them. Really good grips that don’t slip even when wet or covered in fish 

17 minutes ago, wcurrall said:

Aside from a good knife I’d recommend booking yourself in to a course on how to sharpen knifes properly. Butchers and knife manufacturers run them, or even jump on YouTube and watch videos If that’s more your style. I find it much easier to learn in person. Had a butcher show me a few years ago and even though I am far from an expert, and even though I’d use a stone and steel regularly I was surprised at how much sharper my knifes could be if done properly. Also the sharper the knife the less chance of cutting yourself when filleting as you use way less pressure 

By the way I have 2 Dexter Russel knives I’ve had for almost 15 years And would highly recommend them. Really good grips that don’t slip even when wet or covered in fish 

That was something not brought up before @wcurrall about a knife sharpening course, great idea.

And yes Dexter Russels are highly regarded.

I say this every time a knife thread comes up, I am pretty useless at sharpening them, my wife and son take care of that part, I have all sorts of knives for different purposes, and I must admit, I can fillet fish as good as anyone, from a Whiting to a Marlin, one of my favourite knives for fish like Flathead and Bream and so on, is a cheap one from Kmart, cost $5, is the perfect size, and can be honed to razor sharp, I do have some good quality knives too, including a very long thin one I use for big Tuna and stuff, it takes a bit of getting used to because of the length, I have a big chopper kind of one I use to cut cutlets from Kingfish or the like, with the aid of a rubber hammer, cutlets are a breeze.

9 hours ago, Wiskas said:

Thanks Blackfish

I’ll be sure to have a look at the forum on that topic, cheers. 

Kingie Chaser, budget up to $100. What would you consider in that price range?

Thanks Micon01 for that information. 

Cheers all

Wiskas

To be honest I think you could buy several or a few knives for general use for $100.

I am a bit of a traditionalist mostly I think a soft long thin flexy blade will do for most things but there are times that a stiffer blade would be better.

Boning/filleting is one thing but then if you have to skin then is that same knife suitable for that to??

There is no 1 blade for everything really.

Anyway I received this basic Japanese filleting knife from a friend a while ago & haven't really used it to much but am super impressed with the design.

Flat one side for great skinning & a slightly scalloped upper edge for hugging the bone & maximizing flesh retention.

It came to me with an unfinished wooden handle/scabbard so I sanded it back & put a stain & finish on it.

90972730_Japfil2(2).thumb.jpg.6edae1720ad8c6207dbb634c8624b445.jpg

569328957_Japfil(2).thumb.jpg.88fb9eb4600ba9a746bc346a96fdb827.jpg

It has a hidden tang design which I don't normally like but for this kind of job its ok form me.

Great steel though that will keep an edge & last forever.

I've been searching for a decent knife to clean sharks and am yet to find one. I have found the red handled rapala knives which are as cheap as chips to be excellent for most main stream fish.

When it comes to skinning and boning fish out most of the blokes who do it for a living will tell you their knives are at their best just before they're stuffed. If you know someone who works in a co-op sometimes you can buy their old knives off them which are still good enough for us rec fishos to use.

I went through this in December. Did a lot of looking around this forum and others and 2 names kept coming up. Dexter Russell and Victorinox Swibo. In the end I found it hard to find those who stocked the Dexter Russell here and ended up getting the Victorinox Swibo from everten.com.au. I got a flexible blade filleting knife and a wider boning knife for under $80 for both. I haven't had the chance to fillet too many catches since then, but when I have used them they've been great. Everten were good too. I called them and spoke to them about preferred knives, and they were helpful. 

• Like 1