Saving GPS marks

TK01

Hi all

Im selling my boat and want to back up all the GPS marks before it goes so I can copy them across to a new unit in the new boat.

Is there a software program that makes this easy? I used to use a program called easygps years ago but it seems to have disappeared. It was great because you could enter marks in via your computer then transfer over to the GPS unit. Heaps quicker than doing them on the unit itself.

Or do I just buy an SD card and save them onto that?

I’m not the most tech savvy guy, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Cheers

It's a bit hard to give an answer not knowing the model you have & it's ability to be able to transfer data plus  the one your getting.

If they can do a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi between them then go for it BUT always have a back up so yes, transfer all your waypoints onto an SD card before attempting in case something goes wrong.

You can save them all to sd card from the HDS mate.  What model Lowrance you got?

Either youtube or read the manual to learn how.

When it comes to uploading to the new unit, again the manual or youtube.

Make sure they are copied to the sd card before you delete them all from your old unit!!!

Thanks guys, I know the SD card way to do it but was hoping to find out if there’s a software program that you can manage them on your computer rather than the unit. Doesn’t sound like it..

1 hour ago, mii11x said:

Make sure they are copied to the sd card before you delete them all from your old unit!!!

Anything electronic with data these day should be backed up in some way.

And it never hurts to even have a back up of the back up if its important enough!

22 minutes ago, TK01 said:

Thanks guys, I know the SD card way to do it but was hoping to find out if there’s a software program that you can manage them on your computer rather than the unit. Doesn’t sound like it..

Its very possible to have both units plugged into a PC & just transfer data from one hard drive to another.

Things like mobiles, transfers can be done with the right program, I just used smart switch to transfer all my apps & data from a 6 year old phone to a new one & the process only took 10 minutes, all done via wifi but same brand of phone also

But anyway dealing with 3rd party software is more complicated than it needs to be for a job like this.

SD card is by far easier.

YouTube is your friend!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TK01 said:

Probably best check with your map card manufacturer.  You might find there is some sort of app/program available.

Easiest way to transfer your existing marks from one unit to another would by sd card though.  The only drama I would see, would be a different branded unit not recognising the same type of formatted sd card you have for the old unit......or perhaps the storage size of the sd card.

Pretty sure all Lowrance HDS, new or old generations recognise up to 32gb max.  

I know my Gen2 hds10 is 32gb max.......so is my Live12.  Both units read a FAT32 formatted sd card.  Standard SD for the Gen2 and MicroSD for the Live though. 

If your old unit is SD only, just buy a SD/Micro card, ie it contains the micro card in the SD card, then you just pull out the micro card and use it in your new unit.

What model is your old lowrance?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the replies.  The old unit is the HDS Gen 2 also.

It's not so much the transferring marks between toys that I want to achieve, it's the ability to mess around with them on the computer rather than standing in the boat to do it.  The old "EasyGPS" program that I used for a now ancient sounder was great for this.  Especially for those times when you're heading to a new place and you have 20 GPS marks that you want to enter into your unit before you go.  It's so much quicker if you can do it on a keyboard.

I found EasyGPS online but couldn't get it to work so I was hoping there might be something more current out there.

As my library of marks grows however the need for this these days is diminished so it's no big deal I suppose.