Livin' the Bream

Jbrace

Hey everyone, new to the forum.

At the ripe old age of 28 I fished for the first time last year and I haven't stopped since . In that time I've caught a few different saltwater species but no matter what new things I try,  I always go back to catching the trust old Bream . For some reason or another I'm addicted to bream fishing . 

In the last 6 months or so I've gotten pretty good at it, thanks mostly to a mate who has been fishing since before he could walk to teach me all I need to know . But I'm entering a bream fishing comp next week and it got me thinking about seeing how everyone else approaches bream fishing , as I've utilised my mates wisdom on the trade but also from experience do my own things .

So basically if anyone else is as keen on Bream fishing as me let's have a chat, share anything you want, pics, gear , tactics , little tricks youve learnt with certain lures, anything . I'm very eager to learn and try new things all the time . 

I personally fish from my Tinny and use a Shimano jewel with a 2500 reel and light as possible leader with either soft plastics (2.5 grubz or slim swimz) crankbaits (Daiwa double clutch, atomic bream crank etc) or surface lures , all dependant on the environment on the day . Obviously I target structures.  Sunrise and sunset usually having the most success . Now I pull quite a few bream in almost every session I go out, just like anyone I have some bad days where the bite just doesn't seem to be on but most of the time go alright but can't pull one in past the mid to late 30cm mark, I've definitely dropped a few big fellas over the months but that was down to me being an eager rookie and reeling in too agressive , ive learnt a better technique over time . 

Here's a few pics of a couple I caught last weekend, I actually caught 15 bream on this day, it was raining and a light storm and the fish were having a feeding frenzy. Was a great session .

All the best ! 

IMG_20200206_093341_045.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum Jbrace. I'm no Bream expert but can add a few words in reply. Firstly big Bream are probably more than 20 years old. They don't get to be that old by being stupid and if you can outsmart them at that size then you'll do alright in the comp which you're entering. I can only encourage you to be adventurous and keep thinking outside the box if you want to become more adept at what you do. Good luck in the Comp. bn

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Welcome to the forum Jbrace. I'm no Bream expert but can add a few words in reply. Firstly big Bream are probably more than 20 years old. They don't get to be that old by being stupid and if you can outsmart them at that size then you'll do alright in the comp which you're entering. I can only encourage you to be adventurous and keep thinking outside the box if you want to become more adept at what you do. Good luck in the Comp. bn

Cheers for the input mate . Definitely a few tricks to fishing, if something works for me one day I tend to stick it to the next time and if it doesn't work again I get frustrated and so many different lures to Target bream , you can end up spending more time swapping out lures than catching fish if the bites not on . Definitely still learning that side of fishing and completely agree it's best to try new things and not get stuck in a routine . Cheers mate 👍

Good luck in the comp mate. Sounds like your doing everything right already!! 

If you haven't already, use the search function at the top to see if there are some different techniques you can try to get you onto those bigger models. 

Cheers

Rah

• Thanks 1

Gotta love bream on lures they can just about make you insane 

Good luck in the comp, be prepared for the fish to be tough on a whole new level, 

Make sure you think outside the box and do something different if it looks too ridiculous to cast at then definitely give it a go

• Thanks 1

Have to admit I'm in the same boat with regard to Bream fishing - there's something about them that makes them different.  I think it's their ability to recognise a lure and to pick up cues from one another - they're clever little buggers. 

My favourite way to target them is on topwater - since I started targeting them this way my catch rate has gone up massively.  If you're keen to learn then grab a couple Bassday Sugapens and practice the 'walk the dog' retrieve.  There's many ways of doing, you'll need a really light tippy rod and light line (4-6lb max).  I wind slowly and tap the handle of the rod with my right index finger - that seems to give it enough vibration make the lure walk.

Make sure you incorporate plenty of pauses on your retrieve and don't be afraid to let the lure sit still for longer than is comfortable.  

A mate and I went out this morning and bagged over 20 in Johnston's Creek near Glebe.  The water was latte brown but they were smashing soft plastics on a slow retrieve. 

If you're in or near Sydney I'd be keen to meet up and share some techniques.  I am land-based though.

Good luck in the comp mate.  I've been tossing around the idea of entering as a non-boater for a bit now - I'd love to know how you go.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Niall said:

Have to admit I'm in the same boat with regard to Bream fishing - there's something about them that makes them different.  I think it's their ability to recognise a lure and to pick up cues from one another - they're clever little buggers. 

My favourite way to target them is on topwater - since I started targeting them this way my catch rate has gone up massively.  If you're keen to learn then grab a couple Bassday Sugapens and practice the 'walk the dog' retrieve.  There's many ways of doing, you'll need a really light tippy rod and light line (4-6lb max).  I wind slowly and tap the handle of the rod with my right index finger - that seems to give it enough vibration make the lure walk.

Make sure you incorporate plenty of pauses on your retrieve and don't be afraid to let the lure sit still for longer than is comfortable.  

A mate and I went out this morning and bagged over 20 in Johnston's Creek near Glebe.  The water was latte brown but they were smashing soft plastics on a slow retrieve. 

If you're in or near Sydney I'd be keen to meet up and share some techniques.  I am land-based though.

Good luck in the comp mate.  I've been tossing around the idea of entering as a non-boater for a bit now - I'd love to know how you go.

Hey mate, completely agree . They can be a real finicky fish at the best of times . They are far from stupid which makes it exciting to chase them and on the really light gear the big ones put up a fun fight . Really enjoy it especially with all the different styles of lures .

I've actually not done too much top water work , which is my own fault as it's new to me and I'm bad for sticking to styles I know rather than trying new things , so I will definitely give it a go, I'm heading out tomorrow so I'll try it then . I own 2 70mm sugapens as well as about 5 other surface lures , some atomic and Savage ones . 

I run a 7ft 1-4kg Shimano jewel which is a really light whippy rod with a 2500 stradic with 6lb line . 

I'll take your advice with the retrieve mate and let you know how I go. I'm in South Sydney and regularly fish botany bay, georges river , port hacking etc. 

First round of the comp is next Sunday at Bayview so very excited for it. I'll let you know I go ! 

Cheers mate .

39 minutes ago, Jbrace said:

Hey mate, completely agree . They can be a real finicky fish at the best of times . They are far from stupid which makes it exciting to chase them and on the really light gear the big ones put up a fun fight . Really enjoy it especially with all the different styles of lures .

I've actually not done too much top water work , which is my own fault as it's new to me and I'm bad for sticking to styles I know rather than trying new things , so I will definitely give it a go, I'm heading out tomorrow so I'll try it then . I own 2 70mm sugapens as well as about 5 other surface lures , some atomic and Savage ones . 

I run a 7ft 1-4kg Shimano jewel which is a really light whippy rod with a 2500 stradic with 6lb line . 

I'll take your advice with the retrieve mate and let you know how I go. I'm in South Sydney and regularly fish botany bay, georges river , port hacking etc. 

First round of the comp is next Sunday at Bayview so very excited for it. I'll let you know I go ! 

Cheers mate .

Mate you're sure to get some fish with that lot on your arsenal.  Just find a bit of clear or shallow water and you'll get into em.

I put off doing top water for ages as well.  Always seemed so unlikely that you'd get a fish that way but trust me, it works.  Best way is to go out one day with nothing but surface lures and just keep casting.

• Thanks 1