Getting lower...

big Neil

I've been hitting the Murrumbidgee quite frequently during the past few weeks and the fishing has been pretty good throughout. I used to be able to go online and find information on water levels at various points of the river, then make plans to fish the best options. HOWEVER, I can no longer access such information as no statistics are being provided. Been like that for months too. I went out yesterday to Narrandera and was able to head downstream about a kilometre, too shallow to head upstream though. My local spot 4 days ago saw me run aground at a place which is usually low but passable. You might imagine that the bottom of the river would be VERY SOFT MUD but I was surprised to find it as firm as concrete.

One thing that became apparent from fishing several different places within a few days is that the Trout Cod are much more prolific in some areas than the Murray Cod and that they are breeding pretty well, as are the Murray Cod. Plenty of small ones aggressively taking the bait too. I had some Bardi grubs and these were absolutely hammered...

Apparently there is rain on the way but we have had very little recently. Cheers, bn

IMG_2563.jpgrs.thumb.jpg.6b3a49d47c9fec08967a895ad651e3cc.jpgIMG_2544.jpgrs.thumb.jpg.781d0996c9c27fe4ed66161372e75cd4.jpgIMG_2542.jpgrs.thumb.jpg.c0487631fdcb0b851e7225003c2d82cf.jpg 

• Like 5

Good to see you can at least put the boat in the water. BTW Happy Birthday for yesterday, wasn't around so couldn't wish you the best on the day.

The past few weeks we have had a lot of rain and the grass has turned from nasty brown to Green.

Frank

Edited by frankS

• 4 months later...

Hi BN,

Speaking of Cod I had a mate at Griffith tell me there has been a large fish kill in Lake Wyangan with a heap of large cod well over 1 metre die.

Have you heard anythiing of this??

Hoods

7 hours ago, Hoods said:

Hi BN,

Speaking of Cod I had a mate at Griffith tell me there has been a large fish kill in Lake Wyangan with a heap of large cod well over 1 metre die.

Hoods

No haven't heard that but would not be surprised at all. We need some good rainfall badly. bn

18 hours ago, Hoods said:

Hi BN,

Hoods

Hi Hoods

Your friend was correct Lake Wyangan is down to very low water levels and there was a major fish kill in the lake.

Heaps of cod, yellowbelly bony bream and carp, some of the cod were over a metre.

Very sad to see this happen, especially when the local council could have stopped this from happening.

Even parts of the Murrumbidgee here are very low at the moment, just an example Gogeldrie weir at the moment is down to 1.2m above the weir where at full capacity it is just over 6m.

hope we get some good rain over the winter period.

Very sad news. Especially the lack of action/management from Council.

The MDBC is a bit like the Foreign Investment Review Board - poor terms of reference..or deliberate...

Sounds like you lot are in desperate need of a trip to Port Stephens to practice your angling skills on Scratchies pet snapper!!

Yes very sad to see something that  could of been avoided and now the Griffith council has decided to fix the problem so it doesn`t happen again. Will be interesting to se if this action does go ahead .

Trip to Port Stephens would be good and something that one day we might have to do.

There are still places we can go to fish around here and of course there are also Blowering Burrinjuck etc.

Burrinjuck is fishing quite well at the moment with some nice Cod coming out.

cheers 

• Like 1