Rain ... what rain?

big Neil

According to the news NSW is copping heavy rain and potential flooding. Even we got a tablespoon full. Seriously though I hope that there is MINIMAL damage to the already suffering coastal areas and that ALL THE CATCHMENT AREAS reap the benefits of these falls. It is desperately needed everywhere. Keep safe everyone, bn

They’re apparently copping it worse in Sydney than here in Port Stephens.  However, the roof of our house is leaking again. We had the whole ceiling to the kitchen replaced last year under insurance and heard a drip yesterday morning. Managed to get a bucket in the roof and dry it up and replace a broken tile that may have been missed with the last repair. Will have the insurance company’s contractor look at it under warranty. Then tonight, we heard another drip in another area. I climbed up in the roof again and it appears that it may have come in through the whirlybird. It’s not dripping now but I got a bucket under there just in case. The whirlybird was replaced under an earlier insurance claim (hail) the year before. My son and I just spent 45 minutes in the roof taping up any sagging sarking to be sure. Not really happy! Apart from the costs of yet another excess, any day spent waiting around for tradesmen during my upcoming holidays, means one less day fishing! 😩😂

PS. I hope rain falls where they really need it.

Edited by Berleyguts

That's the last thing that you need Baz...not being able to get out fishing. You don't go often enough as it is mate. You know what they say? USE IT OR LOSE IT! 

Hope you get all the problems ironed out without too much hassle. bn

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

60mm overnight in Tamworth, all the creeks flowing again, some for first time in 5years,looks like more to come during the week. 

Great to here it’s getting out west of the divide, hopefully there’s plenty more to come during the week, spoke to a mate on Friday heading to Dubbo which he said was still dry but it was spitting at Bathurst 🤞it’s getting further west. Here on the central coast we’re heading towards 300mm since Friday. With the correct infrastructure this run off could be pumped across the divide & distributed to dams, reservoirs & in turn rivers which would help farmers & towns, unfortunately 🐷’s will probably fly before that happens 

• Like 1

Would be great to be able to sendNSW coastal rain towards the storage areas & the outback areas but that's not how gravity works.

You would think there are some extremely intelligent brains out there working on this & many problems we have but I don't care what party you support they are all pretty much self preservationist tools!

Our federal governments work in 3 year terms & they just really only care about how they can talk there way into re election...……...talk not much action!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, motiondave said:

theres been discussion for a long time , of creating infrastructure to capture water from the top end and pipe it down to rivers in the south, but thats "unsustainable" as it would not create an income immediately for the government, but im sure they would sell it off to overseas investors anyway.

This would mean many local councils/governments along the path of the pipeline would have to work together though......which would be a feat in itself.  Too much bureaucratic red tape will never see this happen.  You are correct in saying they would sell off a system like this to international investors.

I personally don't see why a somewhat easy task could be made to be so difficult to achieve.  Yes indeed, it would be a massive engineering project (I was a civil engineer/project manager previously), but aside from the construction and maintenance of such a project, it should be relatively simple task.   The only reason I can think of is that government officials want to line their pockets in someway, hence making a relatively simple outcome to achieve more difficult because of red tape and paperwork!!

We already see red tape and paperwork interfering with infrastructure previously built by looking at Kurnell's desal plant.  How many years did Sydney have to wait for it to be "turned on"!!!  

By no means am I political or have a deep understanding of politics, but certain issues, some very simple issues, can be solved quite easily by the people we empower and this is what gets my blood boiling.

I have been hearing lately, mainly on AM talk back radio, talk about local government looking to tax/charge property owners with private dams for the use of the water they catch in their dams.  WTF!!!!!  

That's my rant over for this evening anyway fellas.

Sorry for making you read my dribble.

Mick

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mii11x said:

This would mean many local councils/governments along the path of the pipeline would have to work together though......which would be a feat in itself.  Too much bureaucratic red tape will never see this happen.  You are correct in saying they would sell off a system like this to international investors.

I personally don't see why a somewhat easy task could be made to be so difficult to achieve.  Yes indeed, it would be a massive engineering project (I was a civil engineer/project manager previously), but aside from the construction and maintenance of such a project, it should be relatively simple task.   The only reason I can think of is that government officials want to line their pockets in someway, hence making a relatively simple outcome to achieve more difficult because of red tape and paperwork!!

We already see red tape and paperwork interfering with infrastructure previously built by looking at Kurnell's desal plant.  How many years did Sydney have to wait for it to be "turned on"!!!  

By no means am I political or have a deep understanding of politics, but certain issues, some very simple issues, can be solved quite easily by the people we empower and this is what gets my blood boiling.

I have been hearing lately, mainly on AM talk back radio, talk about local government looking to tax/charge property owners with private dams for the use of the water they catch in their dams.  WTF!!!!!  

That's my rant over for this evening anyway fellas.

Sorry for making you read my dribble.

Mick

I’m sure it would be achievable. Possibly no more ambitious than the Snowy Mountains Hydro Electric Scheme. Here’s another thought... run a pipeline from north-western Australia and pump seawater into Lake Eyre - it’s already a salt lake and there are no real mountains to cross - so it remains full... it would change the whole climate for the eastern states...

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. We have had a bit more steady drizzle and the region is nice and wet. Only surface wet though as we haven't had any penetrating rainfall that will reach the soils substructure. Still every bit helps. As I keep saying "hope it's falling in the dam catchment areas".

Lots of good commentary on what could be done and all of it IS ACHIEVABLE. Whether it's viable is another thing! Where I live used to be a major food bowl and we not only supplied the local market but also exported product all around the world. Some years back the MIA produced 1.8 million tonnes of rice in a season (one of the world's staple foods). Mainly thanks to the Murray Darling Basin Plan the region will produce less than 80,000 tonnes this year. Okay Parliamentary representatives can't make it rain and if they could we would (most likely) miss out anyway. Politics is a numbers game and inland areas will always be disadvantaged because of the "insignificant population factors" which come in to play. That's not me whingeing, that's reality! I love where I live but it is very sad seeing towns dying because they aren't getting enough water to achieve their potential. Life is what it is and Australia certainly has unique statistical values, not the least is that we share a MASSIVE country with an overall population of less than 25 million. We also inhabit a continent which is notoriously dry, most of the time. 

Cheers, bn

Hi @big NeilNot seen any carp, although there is an eel and fresh water crayfish. A bit further down there is mullet too.

I did see a blue car fish, that blocked the road yesterday too. They tried to drive though that in the daytime. I could understand it a bit at night, as the lighting is very poor, but in the middle of the day?

16 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Would be great to be able to sendNSW coastal rain towards the storage areas & the outback areas but that's not how gravity works.

You would think there are some extremely intelligent brains out there working on this & many problems we have but I don't care what party you support they are all pretty much self preservationist tools!

Our federal governments work in 3 year terms & they just really only care about how they can talk there way into re election...……...talk not much action!!

Hi kc. With 3 levels of Government in Australia ( Federal, State /Territory, Local) it would be reasonable to assume that we would be better served by our politicians, and we should be. However many of them seem to forget that they are there to serve the people of Australia and are too self interested to be effective.

Having said that I still believe that we live in the best country in the world and we have a lot to be grateful for. Maybe one day we will be able to control the weather, who knows? Cheers, bn

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

Hi @big NeilNot seen any carp, although there is an eel and fresh water crayfish. A bit further down there is mullet too.

I did see a blue car fish, that blocked the road yesterday too. They tried to drive though that in the daytime. I could understand it a bit at night, as the lighting is very poor, but in the middle of the day?

OOPS! Looks like the floor mats might be a bit damp. Hope the occupants were alright though. Cheers for the human interest videos mate. bn

• Thanks 1

Had plenty of rain, wind and big seas here in the Illawarra, I have a bit of a drama, it seems one gutter was blocked from a damn Norfolk Island Pine next door, during the rain the water has backed up and gone into the eaves, the paint is bubbling and I am pretty sure it's run down the cavity under the timber floor, which has been replaced by insurance not too long ago, 100 square metres of select grade spotted gum is not cheap to remove and replace! Anyone who knows the area, yesterday the waves were breaking level with the end of Windang Island, about 2k out, and I mean breaking, not just a foamy top spilling over.

• Sad 1