Pelagic lures

Will Wright

Hi guys! Been getting back into the fishing after the rain and boy it’s been productive! Only been using the light gear but I have been pulling in great fish on plastics! I would like some advice on which lures specifically to use with my 15lb/30lb leader  4000 reel size combo (15-45gm lure weight) the only lures I’ve used with this combo is metal slugs and they are alright but I would like to mix them up. Any lure suggestions to use off rocks for kings, bonito, Mack etc etc... would be greatly appreciated! I’m not sure if I should use poppers, jigs, minnows etc . As I said any suggestions would be great! 

Regards,

Will

Soft plastics off the rocks I always use zmans they have great action and I tend to go for whit or pink colours, and I match either a 1/2 ounce or 3/4 ounce depending on water conditions, a good little hardbody that will fit in your lure weight is the xrap magnum long cast 10 with the bib I like blue in colour they weigh 42grams I’ve caught rat kings and bonito off this lure 

10 minutes ago, kingbonito said:

Soft plastics off the rocks I always use zmans they have great action and I tend to go for whit or pink colours, and I match either a 1/2 ounce or 3/4 ounce depending on water conditions, a good little hardbody that will fit in your lure weight is the xrap magnum long cast 10 with the bib I like blue in colour they weigh 42grams I’ve caught rat kings and bonito off this lure 

Thanks, do you know specifically which zman you use? 

G'day Will

I'm not a rock fishing guru but I have picked up some solid tips from other fishos.

Some great hard bodies that I see often include Rapala X-raps, Storm So-Run minnow, Halco Lazer Pro and Nomad Riptide stickbaits.

Nomad and Halco make some wicked poppers for the price so it may be good to have one in your box.

Having a range of soft plastics is also handy. Anything from a 2.5" Slim SwimZ in a natural / white colour to large 9" plastics. It's good to try and identify what the fish are feeding on and try to match your lure to that.

In saying all of that, the humble metal should not be neglected. I have caught some quality fish with them and when you lose one it doesn't hurt the bank too much.

Cheers

• Like 2

Rapala x Rap, Halco roosta popper, Halco lazer Pro, any good quality metal lure spoons chromes... 

It's good to have a nice selection of colours and size variations / different lures. If you know they are there because you are sight casting or they are busting up and you aren't getting takes. Change the retrieve, change the colour, change the lure and repeat until you get them.

If your not sure if there are fish where you are fishing find the best possible spot and make a decision as to what lure you think will preform the best. Change every 10 mins. 

I use jerkshads ill pm you some photos tomorrow and I like the 7inch ones bigger is better, couple of weeks ago I was off the rocks and the Zman jershads were killing it in the bonito but this time of the year there not fussy anyway. A few king’s were taken on them to. But the xrap 14cm stickbaits are good to I’m pretty sure there 56grams 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kingbonito said:

And as someone mentioned before the storm so runs are good to, but a bibed lure can be abit of hard work casting all the time. The little xrap I mentioned before the bib is so small on them so it works good keeping them just under the surface 

Alright thanks mate 

6 hours ago, James Clain said:

Rapala x Rap, Halco roosta popper, Halco lazer Pro, any good quality metal lure spoons chromes... 

It's good to have a nice selection of colours and size variations / different lures. If you know they are there because you are sight casting or they are busting up and you aren't getting takes. Change the retrieve, change the colour, change the lure and repeat until you get them.

If your not sure if there are fish where you are fishing find the best possible spot and make a decision as to what lure you think will preform the best. Change every 10 mins. 

Thanks!