A bit of a rare catch

big Neil

After all the lovely rain which we have had I decided on another trip to the river at Narrandera. Nobody else there (again) and there was a nice bit of water coming down. Had the boat in the water about 8am and headed upstream for a change. I ran aground after about 200 metres and decided to head downstream to my usual haunts. I had dead shrimps on a paternoster rig and cubes of cheese on the sinker at the hook rig. The fish were coming in at a steady pace, often both rods going off at the same,,,all Murray Cod to about 53 cms. I managed a rather large Carp on the shrimps then started to use live shrimps, which I had caught.

I caught a Silver Perch of about 47 cms on a huge cheese bait. From my experiences it is very unusual to catch them on cheese and in that part of the river. It was in excellent condition so is obviously managing to find ample food as it competes with the Murray Cod and Trout Cod. I left about midday and headed home to wash the boat. Ended up with more than a dozen Murray Cod, one Carp and one Silver perch. As always it was a lovely day to be on the river. Unable to upload pics??? will try in a separate post. Cheers, bn

• Like 3

Great to hear you’re still getting good flow & the fish are still on the chew, good photos & report, your not wrong about that perch looks like it’s in great condition there BN & I love how you’ve got the bait in that shot nibbly’s for both you & the fish. What’s your preferred cheese for the fish. Those white edges on the cods fins does that mean it’s a trout or been working hard in the flow or from spawning?

1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

Great to hear you’re still getting good flow & the fish are still on the chew, good photos & report, your not wrong about that perch looks like it’s in great condition there BN & I love how you’ve got the bait in that shot nibbly’s for both you & the fish. What’s your preferred cheese for the fish. Those white edges on the cods fins does that mean it’s a trout or been working hard in the flow or from spawning?

Preferred cheese is either Mozzarella or Colby. They are softer and don't break up like Cheddar when you put the hook in.

The white flashes are natural on the Cod's fins (both Murray Cod and Trout Cod).

Cheers, bn