JonD

Poor start

Recommended Posts

Due to a change in fishing styles I decided it was time to part with much loved zodiac. That little boat had been the most fun boat Ive owned in 43 years of owning boats.

I was looking for a boat I could attach a burley pot to without the worry of a mako taking a chomp on and something with a little more storage. I decided on another Haines signature having owned a couple in the past. The same overall length as the rib gives a much bigger deck and storage area in the rf model and the opening front hatch system also allows for good lure flicking from the bow. Haines signature 543rf.

Due to the fires and road closures getting away to view any vessel had been impossible over the Xmas period, so I bought one without viewing. How could I go wrong with a low hour, one carefull owner ( school teacher) who had garaged it from new!!!!... yes I'm a fool who trusts most people by their word.

After a 12 hour drive to pick up the boat I was a little surprised the owner wasn't there as arranged to meet me ( he had been sleeping until the banks close Friday afternoon). Three hours late he rocks up with his first words being "you bought it it's yours" my heart sunk as I cast my eye under the hull seeing poorly matched paint and patchy filling. Walking to the back I simply couldn't believe how bashed the engine was and a totally written off propeler. Anything that could be rusty was, even under the cowling things were grim to say the least. Lie after lie started dribbling from the owners mouth, who wasn't even the person who I had been dealing with from the boatsales add. Contrary to the add it hadn't had just one owner either and the previous owner had lived in QLD where the boat was kept on an open mooring, hence the very poor gelcoat above the waterline.

The regular service history was a service in 2012 and 2016. The safety kit consisted of flares that expired in 2013. Just about every repair and fitting had been done with steel screws or string. Trailer wheels nuts snapped off and incorrect rollers for boat. Every drop of fuel drained from the tank, dead batteries, the list goes on and on.

My drive home was depressing to say the least, my wife had already given me the 'told you so treatments n the phone!!! 

Trying to move on and get the boat ready for the water as soon as possible, dumped a heap of money into it this last week and trying  to put the poor start behind me, after all what are mortgages for!!!!!

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a heartbreaking story Jon. There are some bastards around that's for sure. I don't know how the owner could be so callous. I don't know you real well Jon but I believe that you'll get this "vessel" on the water and continue spending many hours with your family, doing what you guys do best. Bite the bullet mate and make it work for you.

Maybe you could do some before and after process as you get her seaworthy. No doubt we'll see plenty of reports once you are back in business. Good luck mate, bn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's shit mate. It's a shame you had already handed over the cash

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Jon. I must say I am a touch disappointed in you for sticking with the deal. I would have said to the guy the boat is not what was described. I sure hope you didn't pay up front before your long journey ?. Something tell me you did. But in any case the boat wasn't as described so I would have demanded my money back.

What the advertiser done was FRAUD, trying to sell goods not as described .

I know it was a long journey but you should have bit the bullet on that one as now I feel you will be throwing good money after bad.

Anyhow now that you have done what you have done. I wish you all the best in getting the boat up to your standards without too much bother and money. Good luck.

I only wish I was fit enough to go down there and help you out with getting it up to scratch. I could stay with mate at Cobargo and do day trips, but alas My health forbids me from doing much labour these days.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, big Neil said:

That's a heartbreaking story Jon. There are some bastards around that's for sure. I don't know how the owner could be so callous. I don't know you real well Jon but I believe that you'll get this "vessel" on the water and continue spending many hours with your family, doing what you guys do best. Bite the bullet mate and make it work for you.

Maybe you could do some before and after process as you get her seaworthy. No doubt we'll see plenty of reports once you are back in business. Good luck mate, bn

I had intended doing pictures before and after but decided I would rather try and forget the before and just move on. Trying to decide if to respray the cowling and go with original decals or get my daughter to do a funky design. The plan is to use it on species that are likely to knock it around a little anyway.

It will become a fishing weapon and I don't mind a project to work on, it's just the fact I didn't know I was buying a project boat. Hopefully it might help others that might be a little more gullible like myself in future purchases.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bugger Jon, mind you selling can be just as much of a PITA these days, no shows, ridiculous offers, theives casing you out etc etc, much prefered the old trading Post coming out on a Thursday- make a few calls, Sat AM inspect a few boats, Sat arvo whittle the list down, Sunday make an offer, drive round pick up on Monday with an envlope of cash or a bank cheque.  Hope it turns out OK

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with he project. I would ask the Dept. of Fair Trading for advice. It will cost you nothing. False advertising is a Crime.

Cheers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buying unseen is fraught with danger, but, we all do "things" we should have been cautious about, I had a very similar story (kind of) but in reverse, a guy from interstate was going to buy my boat, it was as described, no hidden faults that I knew off, he told me he had transferred the money, and a truck would pick the boat up the next day, constant checking with the bank, no money, next day the truck turned up, check with bank again, no money, called buyer and he promised he transferred money, but I explained I hadn't any receipt of money, I called the bank again, and they just kind of said "yeah, that happens sometimes" I tried to explain my predicament, but, no go, I told the truck to go, I was not giving him the boat without money, he didn't care, he just said he will be back in 2 days. I started thinking how this looks from the buyers side, I still had the boat, in his mind, I also had his money, and I sent the truck away, the next day, I called the bank and they casually did some checking, and the money was there, thank god, the truck came back, picked up the boat, I called the buyer and he was pretty understanding, probably pissed off, but OK with it, and was/is happy with the boat.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocking story. Hope you didn’t pay too much

Just been through a similar exercise with a tinny and swordie fancies himself as a boat builder. Fortunately the vessel and the extras in the package were very good and as advertised. Way too many dollars have been spent on this project though. Will add that on when it gets sold ;) 

Let’s share before and afters @JonD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry to hear Jon ,didnt you put a picture up of the boat you bought?? and then when you went to pick the boat up it did not look like the picture???? ..bastards for sure  .scum bags con artists .if there is anything you need from sydney to help fix let us know mate raiders here to help if we can cheers dunc333

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your dilemma @JonD I hope the donk is sound & that the new purchase costs more in time than It does in dollars . On a another note it’s sad to hear of the zodiac moving on as I’m sure a lot of raiders  enjoyed reading of you & your families exploits in that rubber ducky, but as is life we all move on & I’m sure the new owner is happy with their purchase.

Once she’s up & running you’ll now have to cross the bar like everyone else😁 but I’m sure with your hours & knowledge you’ll be able to sneak out when most wouldn’t 

Looking forward to the new adventures of the D family & Co in there refurbished Haines 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about the boat troubles Jon. Hope to see you back on the water ASAP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Sorry to hear about your dilemma @JonD I hope the donk is sound & that the new purchase costs more in time than It does in dollars . On a another note it’s sad to hear of the zodiac moving on as I’m sure a lot of raiders  enjoyed reading of you & your families exploits in that rubber ducky, but as is life we all move on & I’m sure the new owner is happy with their purchase.

Once she’s up & running you’ll now have to cross the bar like everyone else😁 but I’m sure with your hours & knowledge you’ll be able to sneak out when most wouldn’t 

Looking forward to the new adventures of the D family & Co in there refurbished Haines 

Haha yes, will have to head out on calm days now!!!.. I had a 540f and a 505rf which both performed very well, hence why I decided to get another. I drive a fair few other simular sized boats such as Edencraft and Cootacraft for abb and urchin fishermen but these need heaps of power and more concentration to keep them going in the rough stuff.

Ive tinkered for for a week now, mostly under a cover until today. After taking the cover off today I'm starting to feel pretty excited about putting some fuel in tomorrow and doing a prop test. Hopefully I won't need to ask marine rescue for a tow now that I've applied as a volunteer!!!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear Jon.

If you have anything in writing ( even the original ad) that describes the boat as been in good condition, serviced, one owner,  etc then you can demand to return the boat and get your money back because it wasn't as described.

If that's the case and it ends up in court you will win every time as the boat trailer combo was not as described . 

To be successful you need to know the seller will not vanish overnight less likely if he owns a property.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve all done it Jon. If it makes you feel better I bought an expensive suit last month whilst in the US which I thought was a bargain. I get home and model it to the wife and she started laughing at me. The pants felt snug at the store but at home when wearing shoes my ankles were exposed 🤦‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

photos online can be deceiving, when I saw the boat I now have, the photos showed old boat, windscreen and a bit of a clean up. When I got there, no windscreen, different motor, a lot messier, was not impressed. Although motor is later model than what was shown, I still got in, checked everything, floor, transom, trailer was a mess and the motor started and ran fine, so I negotiated down from the price and drove it off. 

I spent several hours hosing and scrubbing out the boat as it was old fishing boat and just left under a tree after use and very untidy . Lucky a good clean shaped it up, I ended up making a windscreen for myself as the one in the photo was very faded and had to fit another seat on the front. that and fitted carpet and a few odds and ends

Short story long, it cleaned up ok and Ive done a bit more since to the old thing.

Hopefully yours cleans up well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, JonD said:

Due to a change in fishing styles I decided it was time to part with much loved zodiac. That little boat had been the most fun boat Ive owned in 43 years of owning boats.

I was looking for a boat I could attach a burley pot to without the worry of a mako taking a chomp on and something with a little more storage. I decided on another Haines signature having owned a couple in the past. The same overall length as the rib gives a much bigger deck and storage area in the rf model and the opening front hatch system also allows for good lure flicking from the bow. Haines signature 543rf.

Due to the fires and road closures getting away to view any vessel had been impossible over the Xmas period, so I bought one without viewing. How could I go wrong with a low hour, one carefull owner ( school teacher) who had garaged it from new!!!!... yes I'm a fool who trusts most people by their word.

After a 12 hour drive to pick up the boat I was a little surprised the owner wasn't there as arranged to meet me ( he had been sleeping until the banks close Friday afternoon). Three hours late he rocks up with his first words being "you bought it it's yours" my heart sunk as I cast my eye under the hull seeing poorly matched paint and patchy filling. Walking to the back I simply couldn't believe how bashed the engine was and a totally written off propeler. Anything that could be rusty was, even under the cowling things were grim to say the least. Lie after lie started dribbling from the owners mouth, who wasn't even the person who I had been dealing with from the boatsales add. Contrary to the add it hadn't had just one owner either and the previous owner had lived in QLD where the boat was kept on an open mooring, hence the very poor gelcoat above the waterline.

The regular service history was a service in 2012 and 2016. The safety kit consisted of flares that expired in 2013. Just about every repair and fitting had been done with steel screws or string. Trailer wheels nuts snapped off and incorrect rollers for boat. Every drop of fuel drained from the tank, dead batteries, the list goes on and on.

My drive home was depressing to say the least, my wife had already given me the 'told you so treatments n the phone!!! 

Trying to move on and get the boat ready for the water as soon as possible, dumped a heap of money into it this last week and trying  to put the poor start behind me, after all what are mortgages for!!!!!

 

He saw you coming a mile away mate. For an expeienced boatie that's owned so many boats you'd think you would of learnt a looooong time ago not to depart with your hard earned until you were 110% sure everything was honky dory.

 DTA- Don't trust anyone.

Hopefully your mistake doesn't send you broke.All the best with getting her back on the water.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon,

        Many years ago I did a similar dump thing  bought a boat in an auction on ebay -(near new motor was ten years old with 200 hours on it) and the paint rubbed off when polished,  trailer was in good nick but not 1 year old as described - I learnt my lesson from these con artists - The next boat I bought it brand new from a boat show (I now have a Stacer 509 searunner)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

He saw you coming a mile away mate. For an expeienced boatie that's owned so many boats you'd think you would of learnt a looooong time ago not to depart with your hard earned until you were 110% sure everything was honky dory.

 DTA- Don't trust anyone.

Hopefully your mistake doesn't send you broke.All the best with getting her back on the water.

 

The fact the person I dealt with from the boatsales add wasn't even the owner threw me completely off. If I had spoke with the true owner I feel sure alarm bells would of rung straight away.  Ive had a good run of buying and selling boats, mostly unseen from people's word. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonD said:

The fact the person I dealt with from the boatsales add wasn't even the owner threw me completely off. If I had spoke with the true owner I feel sure alarm bells would of rung straight away.  Ive had a good run of buying and selling boats, mostly unseen from people's word. 

mmmm..maybe post something on boatsales facebook page , if they have one , stating what happened, just so others can be wary in the future. anti social media, these days can really stir things up, and boatsales site will not want negative feedback of any sort. Might not be boat sales fault, but Id suggest do it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, motiondave said:

mmmm..maybe post something on boatsales facebook page , if they have one , stating what happened, just so others can be wary in the future. anti social media, these days can really stir things up, and boatsales site will not want negative feedback of any sort. Might not be boat sales fault, but Id suggest do it anyway.

Even though by posting an add on boatsales you agree to several legalities, when it comes down to the crunch it means nothing. I have contacted boatsales who simply take no responsibility what so ever.

I have a mechanic coming tomorrow to sort the trailer wheels and an auto electrician to sort the wiring. All the wiring they have done was simply twisted together and in some cases not even covered in ellectrical tape!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JonD said:

Even though by posting an add on boatsales you agree to several legalities, when it comes down to the crunch it means nothing. I have contacted boatsales who simply take no responsibility what so ever.

I have a mechanic coming tomorrow to sort the trailer wheels and an auto electrician to sort the wiring. All the wiring they have done was simply twisted together and in some cases not even covered in ellectrical tape!!!!

ok fair enough, is there a review page you can write on with your story, maybe shaming the seller?

or am I just too vindictive :D

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, motiondave said:

ok fair enough, is there a review page you can write on with your story, maybe shaming the seller?

or am I just too vindictive :D

 

I was thinking that way but now Ive cooled off and just keen on getting back out on the water.  Had an auto ellectric remove a carrier bag of poor ellectrical wiring this morning and wire up the battery's correctly.

Unfortunatly it wasn't as straight forward for the mechanic who worked on the trailer until lunch time and has to return back again tomorrow.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, Rebel said:

Good luck with he project. I would ask the Dept. of Fair Trading for advice. It will cost you nothing. False advertising is a Crime.

Cheers.

First of all thats the worst mate, hopefully its not too much work involved in getting it up to where you want it.

Second, I will have to thank you as it is now confirmed that I will never fall to a scam like that ever after hearing your story!  ;)  (I did actually buy an old yammy 15hp 2 stroke off someone without seeing it the other day, but I know him through work and I trust he hasnt ripped me off and it was only $300)

Thirdly, does anyone know if there is any legal leg to stand on in a situation like this? Ive only ever dealt with the ombudsman once before for a samsung phone I bought off a shoddy website.  As soon as I called the ombudsman I had my refund in my account a couple of days later.  Not sure if it was coincidence or if they made contact with the seller.  Just curious if anyone knows if there is anything you can do in this situation.  I know if you pay with paypal you can request a refund/dispute the sale.

 

Good luck with it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      65,546
    • Total Posts
      526,710