Looking for advice for my next trip

crusher87

Hi raiders,

I’m planning a trip towards the end of this year or early next year. I have a 6.1m pioneer centre console, I’ve got a 2 week leave pass, happy to camp on islands and looking to target mackerel, GT’s, trout etc.

I did a trip last year where we camped on hook island in the Whitsundays for 5 nights and we ended up getting bugger all. I definitely don’t want to have another donut trip, so if anyone could recommend some spots to look at that’d be great. 

Thanks 👍

I spent 10 days fishing the cape, Karumba, Normington river bynoe river, little bynoe river, and Flinders river.

Heaps of species including Barra, GT's, Queenies, Threadfin Salmon ( my favorite ) , plenty of mud crabs, and smaller species like jungle perch, archer fish, sooty Grunter, and Mangrove Jack to top it off. couldn't get a Saratogo no matter how hard I tried. Get a cast net and learn how to cast it and go for the shrimp on the little Bynoe where fresh water meets the salt, there is a causeway you cast the net from and will reap one of the best feeds you will ever have.

shrimp.thumb.jpg.76b71ddb796715de7454c71cf4841868.jpg

Frank

Edited by frankS
added photo
  • Like 1

The boat would be great for Kurumba and the larger rivers, the shrimp fishing would be land based so the boat would have to be content to sit on the trailer. The fishing just off shore adjacent to the opening of the Normington river is as good as it gets, little known and not so busy. most people go to the more advertised places but miss out on the better fishing by not going to the more remote areas. It's good roads all the way and Normington has supermarkets and anything you would need to buy for survival. In my opinion it's just about heaven on earth. I would love to be able to make the trip again, but not fit enough to do it any longer.

Frank

Somewhere easily accessible to think about is 1770, lots of offshore over nighting, fishing good, facilities good. The Whitsundays fishing is always pretty hard going, remember it's a holiday Mecca, thousands of people fish it, unless you know where to go, out wide, you will only get a few decent fish.

Most of the great fishing between Harvey bay and Gladstone involves lots of sea miles and unless you know the spots there is a hell of a lot of baron water out there. IF you know some spots than good fishing but just wandering around the ocean looking for structure will take up all your holiday. And following the crowds is spot luck as well as most are visitors just searching and speculating. If you get some local who is willing to tell you where to go your are in good hands, but most locals up that way for some reason are not tourist friendly.

Just my opinion.

Frank

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi fish_more,

I’ve actually been looking at north west and it seems like an unreal spot. My only worry is the Anchorage for my glass boat. Though I haven’t found anywhere that looks as good and it’s easy to get fuel and supplies over the via the barge. Just need to pick the right time to go and get the leave pass from the wife sorted! Cheers