Boat and prop test

JonD

Just been for a quick run in the new ( old ) signature 543 rf.  the prop that came with th boat was to badly damaged to use so ordered a couple to test out. One being a 4 blade solas and the other being a 3 blade larger pitch. Due to needing good grip and fast take offs in bar crossings as well as gripping better offshore trolling the 4 blade was my first choice. In saying that, at the good old 4000 rpm the 4 blade was slipping by over 30% which seems very high. I will talk with the prop guys tomorrow and pass on today's figures.

The big surprise to me was just how used to such a great ride I had become used to from the rib in comparison with the Haines. The fact the signature 543rf has such a good reputation as a good all round riding boat now makes me realise just how fantastic the rib was. In 10-15kts of southery the signature was a wet struggle to even keep on the plain. I certainly won't be able to head offshore as easely as I'm used to.

I never take much notice of boat reviews but I would welcome any journalist who does these reviews we see in magazines etc to head down here and test in a south coast 10-15kts wind out of Narooma as I simply cant get my head around their facts. 

What motor are you running have a similar problem boat is a streaker 585 with a bf150 Honda was recommended 14/1/2 dia 17 pitch over revs say 6300 then sent a 14/3/4 dia 19 pitch now only get 5300 rpm motor is full reco had the same problem with a hole seller need to contact prop provider to find if a 18 pitch available has been a drama 

31 minutes ago, Smobaby said:

What motor are you running have a similar problem boat is a streaker 585 with a bf150 Honda was recommended 14/1/2 dia 17 pitch over revs say 6300 then sent a 14/3/4 dia 19 pitch now only get 5300 rpm motor is full reco had the same problem with a hole seller need to contact prop provider to find if a 18 pitch available has been a drama 

I have a 140 suzuki 2011 model ( before lean burn). 13.75x19  4 blade aluminium hit 6400 rpm. 13.75x21  3 blade also hit The limiter. The anti-ventilation plate remained below the surface and no slip in full turns, which points towards raising 1 or 2 holes.  Ive dealt with solas for many years, they normally get the props pretty close first time, with just a little cupping added if needed to tweak a bit more to get spot on.

Presume I’m dealing with the same crew his name is Steve very helpfull the motor is mounted about 50 mm above transom will ring and ask some more questions running solas prop first was a different brand supplied hopefully sort it out 

5 hours ago, JonD said:

makes me realise just how fantastic the rib was. In 10-15kts of southerly the signature was a wet struggle to even keep on the plain. I certainly won't be able to head offshore as easely as I'm used to.

5 hours ago, JonD said:

Welcome to our world, I’m sure you’ll love your new ride as much as if not more than the rib in no time 

5 hours ago, JonD said:

never take much notice of boat reviews but I would welcome any journalist who does these reviews we see in magazines etc to head down here and test in a south coast 10-15kts wind out of Narooma as I simply cant get my head around their facts. 

I agree with that comment, especially in the conditions they test them in but if they don’t give them good reviews you know they are inside boats or donkeys 

Hope to hear you get her sorted out soon looking forward to your new fishy ventures

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

Congratulations on the new toy Jon.

I though you were getting an ocean cylinder?

If the RIB was so good then why did you buy the Haines?