Jpatane

Hi All, I’m new to the forum and squidding so I’m looking for some guidance on where to fish and links to any techniques for using the squid lures available. I’m near Sydney Harbour so anywhere people have had some success would be a great place for me to start :)

13 minutes ago, Jpatane said:

Hi All, I’m new to the forum and squidding so I’m looking for some guidance on where to fish and links to any techniques for using the squid lures available. I’m near Sydney Harbour so anywhere people have had some success would be a great place for me to start :)

I use Yamashita jigs. A lot of the wharfs in Sydney especially the ones closer to the sea hold some good squid. Squid are fast and can be very aggressive. slow drop to just above the bottom followed by a 2 fast flicks usually gets them but slower or more aggressive retrievals sometimes can be more productive.

Its good to have a few different colour jigs at your disposal, especially if your fishing with mates. have everyone use a different colour and then change when you isolate a preferred colour for the day.

little jigs catch big squid but large jigs don't catch many small squid so I prefer smaller jigs. 

Squid hang around weed beds but they can turn up anywhere: over sand flats, around wharf pylons.

Bigger squid can pull some drag but keep it loose because there tentacles especially the ends are like hard jelly so you can pull hooks really easy, sometimes you wont even know you had a take until you go to cast and see a bit of slime around your hooks.

This video might help but the best way to learn to catch squid is trial and error.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jpatane said:

Welcome to fishraider. 

We have many posts here with a wealth of information. Members are helpful and will post their info. The search engine is very good at finding info also.

Do a search on squid and you will be amazed at what comes up :)

Good luck and come back and report how you went.

20 hours ago, Jpatane said:

@Jpatane as Donna mentioned lots of good info on here & as I was saying in Donna's tutorial thread you have to look at all the info/footage you can to get an idea!

If you have a look at the video that James posted you can see where these guys are fishing in Sydney harbor, you can even see the naval vessel going by in the background in proximity to the heads.

You have to do some work & research yourself here.

If  we all said come here to this location & you will catch squid then shortly after there would be 100 people there & no room for you or me!!

Sure we can all benefit from some guidance but at the end of the day you just have get out there & put in the yards!

20 hours ago, James Clain said:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1