FishyMcFishFace

Egi any day! Sydney

Recommended Posts

Anyone up for a Egi session, Morning or evening actually any time of day, somewhere not sure on other exact locations around Sydney but the only place I've had luck is Bare Island and Rocky Point. Not so great luck last few sessions. Around sydney.

Otherwise can anyone share some good spots. I know "just look for the weed" but I cant really tell what's there.

Can go at the drop of a hat usually. Trying to improve my skill, keep losing expensive jigs getting annoyed with it.

I do have a small boat but was thinking more land based if I was to get the boat out i'd like to use em for bait and convert it to kingie session. 

Pics on fishbrain: mad4akingy

Tags Squid Calamari

Edited by FishyMcFishFace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pardon my stupidity, but what is a "egi sessions"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 11:45 AM, FishyMcFishFace said:

Anyone up for a Egi session, Morning or evening actually any time of day, somewhere not sure on other exact locations around Sydney but the only place I've had luck is Bare Island and Rocky Point. Not so great luck last few sessions. Around sydney.

Otherwise can anyone share some good spots. I know "just look for the weed" but I cant really tell what's there.

Can go at the drop of a hat usually. Trying to improve my skill, keep losing expensive jigs getting annoyed with it.

I do have a small boat but was thinking more land based if I was to get the boat out i'd like to use em for bait and convert it to kingie session. 

Pics on fishbrain: mad4akingy

Tags Squid Calamari

Let us know how you go

Had the same thing in mind on Tuesday but couldn't get any squid.

Water quality still very average. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Let us know how you go

Had the same thing in mind on Tuesday but couldn't get any squid.

Water quality still very average. 

Water was green to clear but good casting conditions to practice at least

I was at Bare Island off the bridge from 8am to 11am caught a small one ideal for bait seen 3 on chase. Nothing after that.

The first catch on my new dedicated Egi set up so was pleased. Technique improving and first time i didnt lose a jig 🤣 so a was a good day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, motiondave said:

pardon my stupidity, but what is a "egi sessions"?

Eggy bread 😂 Japanese for squid fishing this is the technique im using. 

Eisuke is a legend

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Had the same thing in mind on Tuesday but couldn't get any squid.

Water quality still very average. 

Try closer to the mouth of the bay on the last few hours of the rising tide for the green eyes, the arrows can handle dirtier water if you find the bait you might  be able to pick up a few 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the mouth of the bay but it was about 1/3 of the way of the run out tide at 6.30am.

Would have preferred run in but that was the time I had to be out there.

I have caught them at different tides & time of the day but that murk atm is like dirty black tea.

Will hopefully clear out soon.

 

Thanks for the tip :biggrinthumb:

Edited by kingie chaser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I was at the mouth of the bay but it was about 1/3 of the way of the run out tide at 6.30am.

Would have preferred run in but that was the time I had to be out there.

I have caught them at different tides & time of the day but that murk atm is like dirty black tea.

Will hopefully clear out soon.

 

Thanks for the tip :biggrinthumb:

I had a look there, some fella recommended that area but I didn't have the right footwear, the waves were coming in hard knee high in the only available spot, was pretty busy.  Wasn't so confident in my traction!

If you are fishing from a boat apparently there is a bommie that's supposed to hold a decent amount of squid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in a boat, south side of the headland.

Yes Bear island has a bommie right in front of it & can be very dangerous.

I have seen 8ft barrels breaking over it when the conditions are right & at the same time in a NW the swell hits the rock platform so not recommended at that time to be anywhere near there.

I've only just started to target them in the last few months really but only from a boat.

 

If you have a tinny @FishyMcFishFace it would open up more opportunities I think but hey I get how just walking in & having a flick can be way less time consuming & easier at times.

We might have to catch up for a session one day.

 

 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try around the corner from Bare Island at Yarra bay (or between the two areas). Does ok there, around Bare Island its like a squid jig graveyard but once you work out the area, it can be productive and lose less jigs. I've noticed the calamari lately are typically around the 15-20  cm hood mark but a couple months earlier it was around the 7-13 cm hoods so it looks like an upward trend.

A lot of the coastline areas hold squid, some areas they tend to be residential where other areas they're just passing by as you'll find you get them easier for a window of time only. Usually between 15-45 mins window of opportunity.

If you're choosing to fish around the rocks, I suggest getting a set of cleats, I use a set that I put over my shoes so I can remove them if not required and its more light weight to carry if I don't need them on compared to dedicate cleat shoes. Also note: Alot of those areas require Life jackets.

Water colour/quality, rain or sun, I've got them in all those conditions then only one I find less productive is during high wind over water.

Invest it sacrificial jigs if you don't know the terrain. Just cast one out and get an estimate on how long it takes before it hits the bottom, and then use your better jigs afterwards (both good and cheap jigs can catch), however remember that the jigs sink rates are slightly different to each other, also current speeds, swell also factor in to the speed of which it drops. This will give you an idea of how far down the water is to prevent snags and losing jigs.

You also mentioned you now have a dedicate egi setup, a good way to remove jigs (and really depends on what you snagged on) on egi rods, is to loosen line to allow the current to push the jig around a little and then try to retrieve or whip the rod hard multiple times until becomes loose and then retrieve. In both situations, once out retrieve line quickly as there maybe another snag nearby. With rock snags the use the current first, for kelp (plant forms) try the whipping. Just be wary that sometimes the snag is actually squid/calamari and you'll know this when you have a candle in the barb.

Out of curiosity, what egi setup did you end up with?

Hope this info helps.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I was in a boat, south side of the headland.

Yes Bear island has a bommie right in front of it & can be very dangerous.

I have seen 8ft barrels breaking over it when the conditions are right & at the same time in a NW the swell hits the rock platform so not recommended at that time to be anywhere near there.

I've only just started to target them in the last few months really but only from a boat.

 

If you have a tinny @FishyMcFishFace it would open up more opportunities I think but hey I get how just walking in & having a flick can be way less time consuming & easier at times.

We might have to catch up for a session one day.

 

 

Keen for that kingiechaser I'm chasing kings that's my ultimate goal in life right now. Hahaha PM me let me know!

I've got a small 3.2m boat and 5hp engine still learning what it can handle and all the jargon and that bommie definitely sounds like a no-go lol! 

Need a radio for emergencies before I go out of protected areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Rob81 said:

You could try around the corner from Bare Island at Yarra bay (or between the two areas). Does ok there, around Bare Island its like a squid jig graveyard but once you work out the area, it can be productive and lose less jigs. I've noticed the calamari lately are typically around the 15-20  cm hood mark but a couple months earlier it was around the 7-13 cm hoods so it looks like an upward trend.

A lot of the coastline areas hold squid, some areas they tend to be residential where other areas they're just passing by as you'll find you get them easier for a window of time only. Usually between 15-45 mins window of opportunity.

If you're choosing to fish around the rocks, I suggest getting a set of cleats, I use a set that I put over my shoes so I can remove them if not required and its more light weight to carry if I don't need them on compared to dedicate cleat shoes. Also note: Alot of those areas require Life jackets.

Water colour/quality, rain or sun, I've got them in all those conditions then only one I find less productive is during high wind over water.

Invest it sacrificial jigs if you don't know the terrain. Just cast one out and get an estimate on how long it takes before it hits the bottom, and then use your better jigs afterwards (both good and cheap jigs can catch), however remember that the jigs sink rates are slightly different to each other, also current speeds, swell also factor in to the speed of which it drops. This will give you an idea of how far down the water is to prevent snags and losing jigs.

You also mentioned you now have a dedicate egi setup, a good way to remove jigs (and really depends on what you snagged on) on egi rods, is to loosen line to allow the current to push the jig around a little and then try to retrieve or whip the rod hard multiple times until becomes loose and then retrieve. In both situations, once out retrieve line quickly as there maybe another snag nearby. With rock snags the use the current first, for kelp (plant forms) try the whipping. Just be wary that sometimes the snag is actually squid/calamari and you'll know this when you have a candle in the barb.

Out of curiosity, what egi setup did you end up with?

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for the info, I have learned the hard way, i was also thinking of a mad idea to slide a big sinker down the line somehow to pop it off lol! 

I got a Daiwa Emeraldas mx2508 reel and a major craft sol para rod a real pleasure to use. 😍

Ordered a bunch of Tsunami jigs the natural fish skin colour has worked for me and $5 I can handle compared to the egi no pyon pyon I lost I was gutted plus I hate leaving shit in the ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few people that egi pater noster rig if thats what you mean?

I havent seen anyone or heard of anyone using a jig on a slider setup. Unless you mean a little running sinker to jig? This will change the action of the jig if you do, It wont be swimming or jerking how it should be. You can get egi weights if you need more weight for the jig or get a tip-run jig which is more designed for deeper waters typically for boat fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rob81 said:

There are a few people that egi pater noster rig if thats what you mean?

I havent seen anyone or heard of anyone using a jig on a slider setup. Unless you mean a little running sinker to jig? This will change the action of the jig if you do, It wont be swimming or jerking how it should be. You can get egi weights if you need more weight for the jig or get a tip-run jig which is more designed for deeper waters typically for boat fishing.

I mean when it gets snagged, maybe clip a sinker onto the line and try to throw it off the weed or rock its on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob81 said:

a good way to remove jigs (and really depends on what you snagged on) on egi rods, is to loosen line to allow the current to push the jig around a little and then try to retrieve or whip the rod hard multiple times until becomes loose and then retrieve. In both situations, once out retrieve line quickly as there maybe another snag nearby.

Another trick shown to me by an egi guru up my way is to grab your line near the tip of the rod apply a light bit of tension & with your other hand flick the line like releasing an arrow from a bow, do this several times & retrieve quickly once jig lets go

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FishyMcFishFace said:

I mean when it gets snagged, maybe clip a sinker onto the line and try to throw it off the weed or rock its on.

Ahh yeah I’ve seen a trick using a bottle Half filled with water and allowing the current to push it sideways but That’s a fair bit of effort and pretty sure you’ll attract the attention of nearby anglers.  using a sinker not too sure but sounds similar to some of the lure retrievers I’ve seen in store before

 

3 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Another trick shown to me by an egi guru up my way is to grab your line near the tip of the rod apply a light bit of tension & with your other hand flick the line like releasing an arrow from a bow, do this several times & retrieve quickly once jig lets go

I’ve tried this a few times and haven’t been successful with this trick on egiing. I have seen it used successfully once with hard bodied lures. Could either be I’m doing it wrong or trick might not work ok barbs over hooks. I tend to whip for rods more parabolic such as egi rods which in a can be similar affect. I wouldn’t try whipping it with my other rods but maybe the flicking the line would work best 

Edited by Rob81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I used to get squid in Cruwee Cove, mainly by boat but used to see quite a few guys fishing from the shore. I think they used to walk there via the golf course.

 

J

Edited by Jocler
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      66,436
    • Total Posts
      537,008