Heavy spin reel options

wcurrall

Raiders

Am looking at getting a heavy spin reel to pair with a t curve deep jig 300 rod, stats below. Am currently looking at a Saragosa 20000, holds about 470yd of 65lb. Will be mainly using for game fish, marlin, sharks and am doing a trip to Tas chasing southern bluefin in May. 
What heavy spin reels/combos are other raiders using?

Would obviously love a Stella but not too keen on throwing 1200 bucks at it haha

thanks guys

5DD6A333-9ED3-406D-89B2-B1C1DAD226F3.jpeg

Got a Saragosa 25000 paired with a terez 6'9 in 100lb line class. 

The best word to describe it is "tank"

Saragosa is a good reel!

Although if your going for larger faster fish maybe an overhead, although you would need a different rod. Maybe a Tyrnos or Talica.

• Thanks 1

I did away with all my overhead game gear as most of the fish I ever encounter are quite achievable on the spin gear. The rod you are using has more limitations than most 10000 up spin reels in my opinion. My biggest spin reel is a gosa 25000 which is starting to look knocked about after 5 years of sharking and marlin etc but this is way to big for the rod you mention in my opinion, something between 10000-14000 would be more appropriate for that rod.

_JDP3976.jpg.8ac71b968a154979b7c0e7a2a98afabc.jpg

_JDP4156.thumb.jpg.770244acce0ac3858bd7bfdc6fefef02.jpg

_JDP4180.thumb.jpg.9db7ae921a7fb39526941bfddc6b1ce7.jpg

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, JonD said:

I did away with all my overhead game gear as most of the fish I ever encounter are quite achievable on the spin gear. The rod you are using has more limitations than most 10000 up spin reels in my opinion. My biggest spin reel is a gosa 25000 which is starting to look knocked about after 5 years of sharking and marlin etc but this is way to big for the rod you mention in my opinion, something between 10000-14000 would be more appropriate for that rod.

_JDP3976.jpg.8ac71b968a154979b7c0e7a2a98afabc.jpg

_JDP4156.thumb.jpg.770244acce0ac3858bd7bfdc6fefef02.jpg

_JDP4180.thumb.jpg.9db7ae921a7fb39526941bfddc6b1ce7.jpg

Thanks for the feedback mate, I’m in the same boat trying to get away from the overheads, we have 2 penn internationals with 80lb and 100lb mono which we inherited from a mates old man years ago which are a pain to fish with especially when trying switch baiting so can relate to what you are saying

I’ll look at down sizing the reel, was only looking at the 20000 for capacity in case a big blue or something shows up haha. A mate I fish with got smoked last Saturday at port Stephens car park, fishing 50lb on an 8000 size reel we have on the boat and got down to the spool knot twice before busting off 😢 

Where'd you get that stripey? That’s an absolute beast 👍 well done

thanks again mate

2 hours ago, wcurrall said:

Thanks for the feedback mate, I’m in the same boat trying to get away from the overheads, we have 2 penn internationals with 80lb and 100lb mono which we inherited from a mates old man years ago which are a pain to fish with especially when trying switch baiting so can relate to what you are saying

I’ll look at down sizing the reel, was only looking at the 20000 for capacity in case a big blue or something shows up haha. A mate I fish with got smoked last Saturday at port Stephens car park, fishing 50lb on an 8000 size reel we have on the boat and got down to the spool knot twice before busting off 😢 

Where'd you get that stripey? That’s an absolute beast 👍 well done

thanks again mate

I fish out of Narooma, late in the season tends to turn up bigger stripes.

40 minutes ago, letsgocrabbing said:

Hey JohnD have you tried the fin nors? 

Not for a long time, the ahabs soon let me down so never tried them again.

5 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Fin-Nor LT100 Lethal can winch up the titanic, and you can get one for around $130

I think it is 25 KG of drag and holds 300 yars of 100lb braid

I like my one

My local tackle store stopped selling them as so many came back broken. The store owner showed me the last two he had sold, one with a broken handle and the other with stuffed gears. 

• Like 1

Still think for switch baiting the control given by an overhead is much better than a spin reel , line capacity is another issue , down size the Inters to Tiagra 30 LRSW which hold about 500 M of 24 kg and you are ready to rock and roll- as for Finnors for real heavy duty-nope aint going to happen.

• Like 1