Seafarer5

Saragosa or Saltist or Slammer 3?

Recommended Posts

Looking for a new mid range spinner for 30lb braid. Tossing up between the  Saragosa 6000, Saltist 4000 or Slammer 3 5500. I have a larger Saragosa plus larger slammer, does anyone have any experience with the smaller ones?  Is any of these better / not as good as the others? They are all pretty similar price wise.

thanks in advance 

Edited by Seafarer5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at a Penn Clash CLA 5000. Great reel.

Tell you what is a great reel Shimano Thunnus C14 6000.

I have both. Can't fault them.

Cheers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like the slammer and goosa are about the same ( reel weight 600g , line capacity slammer has bigger spool )

if you mean the Daiwa Saltis spin 4000 it's stats look smaller? ( 450g  can't find braid capacty)

you know the goosa is built like a tank.

it's a bit heavy if you want to use it for hours but the next option is a stella at 4 x the price

If you are throwing metals 30g - 60g the heavier ones need a bit of a winch to wind them in time after time.

If you can handle the weight I'd go the Goosa.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a saltist 4000 and 6000 for a short time. Neither handled the open centre console formula 15 very well in terms of salt corrosion. I wasn't impressed with drag smoothness either, but that's just my findings.

Ive been keen on trying a slammer 3500 on the kings but at the moment I'm more than happy with a stradic 5000. As for the gosa's, well those just seem to keep on going what ever you through at them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 3:43 PM, Rebel said:

Have a look at a Penn Clash CLA 5000. Great reel.

Tell you what is a great reel Shimano Thunnus C14 6000.

I have both. Can't fault them.

Cheers.

Mate I have a thunnus 8000 and love it but am really after a solid salt water reel that I can fish with a locked drag. I will take a look at the Clash. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Houdini said:

looks like the slammer and goosa are about the same ( reel weight 600g , line capacity slammer has bigger spool )

if you mean the Daiwa Saltis spin 4000 it's stats look smaller? ( 450g  can't find braid capacty)

you know the goosa is built like a tank.

it's a bit heavy if you want to use it for hours but the next option is a stella at 4 x the price

If you are throwing metals 30g - 60g the heavier ones need a bit of a winch to wind them in time after time.

If you can handle the weight I'd go the Goosa.

 

I said the 4000 Saltist as it has roughly the same body size as the others. I’m really tossing up now between the gosa and slammer. Probably can’t go wrong with either. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JonD said:

I had a saltist 4000 and 6000 for a short time. Neither handled the open centre console formula 15 very well in terms of salt corrosion. I wasn't impressed with drag smoothness either, but that's just my findings.

Ive been keen on trying a slammer 3500 on the kings but at the moment I'm more than happy with a stradic 5000. As for the gosa's, well those just seem to keep on going what ever you through at them.

Thanks for the heads up on the Saltist. I know it has cast gears as opposed to machined also so I am leaning towards the other two. Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Thunnus are fantastic reels but are a little cumbersome for spinning lures repetitively. The saragossa is a solid reel that will feel and probably be tougher and feel like it has stronger gears than the stradic but once again wont feel as finesse as the stradic for constant spinning. I have a 5000 FK stradic and find the drag sticky (on all three of my spools) but it is nice to cast and retrieve. For bait fishing i'd consider Thunnus, for repetitive spinning where weight and speed is a factor id go stradic 5000, for big fish, slow spinning (jewies off walls etc), jigging and bait fishing/bottom bashing i'd consider the saragossa in a 5000 or 6000 depending on your requirements for retrieve rate (gears ratio) or line capacity.

 

I have no experience with the daiwa or penn stuff sorry. I always get shimano reels for the warranty and after sales service i have found fantastic over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a thunnus 12000ci4 for bait fishing off the rocks. I sold it as it was a chunky reel and didnt hold much line. Was a bit heavy compared to similar size reels without the live baiting mechanism. 

Also the live baiting gearing was a pain to service and put back together. (No one ever mentions that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive got the Gosa 6000 attached to a Terez spin stick-its very fast, seems as tough as the rest of the Saragosa's and the handle is a cracker for spinning-its been catching tuna,macks and kings for a couple of years now-no servicing-no need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 11:45 AM, Captain Spanner said:

The Thunnus are fantastic reels but are a little cumbersome for spinning lures repetitively. The saragossa is a solid reel that will feel and probably be tougher and feel like it has stronger gears than the stradic but once again wont feel as finesse as the stradic for constant spinning. I have a 5000 FK stradic and find the drag sticky (on all three of my spools) but it is nice to cast and retrieve. For bait fishing i'd consider Thunnus, for repetitive spinning where weight and speed is a factor id go stradic 5000, for big fish, slow spinning (jewies off walls etc), jigging and bait fishing/bottom bashing i'd consider the saragossa in a 5000 or 6000 depending on your requirements for retrieve rate (gears ratio) or line capacity.

 

I have no experience with the daiwa or penn stuff sorry. I always get shimano reels for the warranty and after sales service i have found fantastic over the years.

Yeah I’m probably leaning towards the gosa now with all the positive feedback. Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, xerotao said:

I had a thunnus 12000ci4 for bait fishing off the rocks. I sold it as it was a chunky reel and didnt hold much line. Was a bit heavy compared to similar size reels without the live baiting mechanism. 

Also the live baiting gearing was a pain to service and put back together. (No one ever mentions that)

Yeah I have the 8000 and it’s really what I am looking for. Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PaddyT said:

ive got the Gosa 6000 attached to a Terez spin stick-its very fast, seems as tough as the rest of the Saragosa's and the handle is a cracker for spinning-its been catching tuna,macks and kings for a couple of years now-no servicing-no need.

That’s pretty much what I am after. Mine will be used for mostly bait fishing in shallow water with a locked drag so if the smaller gosa is nice and tough it may be the way to go. Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want a bait running option. The thunnus is a really nice reel although I would go Saragosa, its just so sturdy and tough. Probably a little better for casting lures than a bait runner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      65,762
    • Total Posts
      529,170