Hey,

I need some help on setting up three overhead combos without breaking the bank. 

What would you recommend in terms of a level wind or lever drag?

Combo:

Reel:  TYRNOS 2 SPEED 50LRS

Rod: Shimano Backbone FR 37kg

Reel: PENN® FATHOM® II LEVEL WIND 50lrs

Rod : Penn Ocea Assassin 37kg FR

Any other recommendations??

Targeting Marlin, Sailfish, GT , Mackerel 

• 1 year later...

Nothing with a level wind will cope , big eggbeaters are fine if you go a bit upmarket but drags will eventually cook off unless you spend big dollars. TLD's are an excellent budget choice but mainly for 15kg and under. There is a reason why serious game fishers use big gold reels.

The best "budget" reels (in my opinion) are TLDs by far, personally, just starting out, I think I would go for 15kg or 24kg instead of 37, once again, in my opinion, forget anything level wind.

For me I found constantly checking face book marketplace was good (cheap prices). The fathom, squall vsw 2 speed (i have the 50 vsw) or the TLD (i have used the 30A) are good. The backbone or the ocean assain are good. The penn carnage also has good reviews. Also I would probably go for a 24kg, its your choice but i have never had any issues with it. My friend uses the TLD 25 with the 24kg backbone for sharks (he was caught 8 ft bull sharks with it)