Bad experience at Bare Island

FishyMcFishFace

There's a storm just hitting sydney right now. Just as I approached Bare Island it started getting worse and worse. It took me 30 minutes to travel here. It was about 19:30 Reallywanted to have a quick flick in dusk to darker hours. So I took my usual lures and a bucket, tied it to the post with a ratchet strap (just to be safe ya know). So there I was casting away and somehow a gust of wind blew my bucket into the water with all my lures and pouch and other tackle, I've spent weeks building up that collection i left the pouch open and they all fell out as it floated around. 

Lost it all man absolutely wounded 

I got some help of a another EGI Fisher named Mick such a legend helped me get the case back with 2 or 3 lures still in it.

I'm pissed off with myself that I littered the ocean with plastic and depressed I lost all my jigs, they were beautiful. 

That's me taking a break 

7 minutes ago, FishyMcFishFace said:

Some sentimental jigs in there that I cherished. Especially nice red Hayabusa jig that I got my first catch on (Should have framed it). All the Yamashita ones 

Hey FMcFF. I can't work out if I should "like" or "unlike" your post. Regardless, I feel your pain - I have gone swimming for some of my favourite lures before.

On a positive - you have a genuine excuse to head to the nearest tackle shop(s).

Edited by DerekD
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FishyMcFishFace said:

There's a storm just hitting sydney right now. Just as I approached Bare Island it started getting worse and worse. It took me 30 minutes to travel here. It was about 19:30 Reallywanted to have a quick flick in dusk to darker hours. So I took my usual lures and a bucket, tied it to the post with a ratchet strap (just to be safe ya know). So there I was casting away and somehow a gust of wind blew my bucket into the water with all my lures and pouch and other tackle, I've spent weeks building up that collection i left the pouch open and they all fell out as it floated around. 

Lost it all man absolutely wounded 

I got some help of a another EGI Fisher named Mick such a legend helped me get the case back with 2 or 3 lures still in it.

I'm pissed off with myself that I littered the ocean with plastic and depressed I lost all my jigs, they were beautiful. 

That's me taking a break 

Spewing! I would go snorkelling for sure... if not cast wide in arncliffe sells yammis for 10 bucks each 

• Like 1

Ever tried magnet fishing ?. Get a large magnet , tie it to a length of rope and throw it in the water where you lost your gear, slowly drag it back in and repeat throwing it in and dragging it out till you have covered a fair area, chances are you will recover a lot of your gear and who knows you may come up with some other goodies as well.

Frank

• Like 3

1 minute ago, frankS said:

Ever tried magnet fishing ?. Get a large magnet , tie it to a length of rope and throw it in the water where you lost your gear, slowly drag it back in and repeat throwing it in and dragging it out till you have covered a fair area, chances are you will recover a lot of your gear and who knows you may come up with some other goodies as well.

Frank

I was looking on eBay for a magnet the other day, do you know where I can get one from a shop in Sydney? 

It's all stainless steel and lead isn't it?

Sorry to hear of your mishap, I’m a bit of a jig addict my self & if it was me I’d be telling work of some family crisis that just popped up & try & get down there today before high tide with some snorkeling gear & scouring the foreshore, I like Franks idea 👍 as well. I have some doubles of hayabusa & Yamashita  lots still in packets or unused, I’m willing to part with  for under $10 a piece, if interested PM me & I’ll post some photos, I think I might have 1 or 2 red hayabusa in my collection as well

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, FishyMcFishFace said:

I was looking on eBay for a magnet the other day, do you know where I can get one from a shop in Sydney? 

It's all stainless steel and lead isn't it?

Some old HIFI speakers had very strong magnets, and can be found at dump shops for next to nothing.

• Like 1

You should invest in an egi side bag. Shimano makes ones with little compartments (Sephia bags) where you can put in single jig in. Or you can get an holster and make compartments with some bargain store items.

Current I am using an Egi-Oh holster, I've created my own compartments where I can fit up to 8 jigs. However I most likely dont carry that many. I don't bring a bucket with me as I would most likely place the squid in a rockpool and then to bring back I would use the larger Ikea Zip lock bags (most likely I will leave a bucket in the car). Leader, scissors, clips all fit into the holster.

This allows me to easily rock hop, as i do not place anything on the ground and I'm alot more mobile, it also allows me to change jigs a lot quicker and there is no need to leave anything on the ground (other than any caught squid), as everything is within my arms reach, also no need to turn any backpack around to grab anything as the holster is on the side of my leg.

If I have a donut session, its not much hassles for me as I've carried minimum items and not weighed down with anything. Only item carried by hand is my rod/reel.

This is the holster I use:

image.png.9a15aa180abeb8e4c7cb262adb8f9423.png

And this is the Sephia one, you have different sizes for them:

image.png.9da81a9d7dcab0f95c6a84f1307fa2eb.png

There are other makes too but the Sephia is the only one I am aware of that has compartments (which is very convenient), and as mentioned above, if you do decide to get one but not a Sephia then you can easily make those apartments using cheap items. 

With this, I have no concerns about the wash or wind taking my items as it is attached to me. Just one less thing to worry about.

Edited by Rob81
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, corro said:

Wonder if anyone squid fishing in the area is going to hit the jackpot and nail a squid with a spare jig already attached.

I have seen an instance a couple months ago where someone was snagged but managed to get it out plus got the jig they lost about half hour beforehand.

• Like 1

Well Just got me the basic kit of the Yamashita Egi Sutte R type a range of all colours for all conditions.

Oranges, Pinks, Rainbows and naturals. 

I'll be getting one of those shimano sephia Egi bags 👌

I just love having parcel in the mail 😂

I'll be feeling more organised and ready which surely means I'll  catch more 🎣  😉

Cheers for the tips lads

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FishyMcFishFace said:

Well Just got me the basic kit of the Yamashita Egi Sutte R type a range of all colours for all conditions.

Oranges, Pinks, Rainbows and naturals. 

I'll be getting one of those shimano sephia Egi bags 👌

I just love having parcel in the mail 😂

I'll be feeling more organised and ready which surely means I'll  catch more 🎣  😉

Cheers for the tips lads

awesome! now get out there and get some inkers, plenty about in port hacking 

Yowie boat ramp wharf - hit and miss

gymea baths - quite a few there with a million people 

wallys wharf is a late night (12am) weekday spot unless you want to deal with boats and people

cronulla ferry wharf, my fave spot for squid, can be hard to come along at times but has been poppin in the last few days on 1.5 bright colour jigs.

salmon haul  bay, rock spot dose hold squid although i rarely go there.

a good run is usually 30 mins at yowie if there squid stay till it dies out. no squid, goto wallys. repeat this at wallys, if theres to many people goto cronulla ferry wharf. i generally stay there till i need to get home. all these spots are near eachother 

Rejjp8l.png 

green = arrive from tom ugly bridge (assuming u live in cbd) and goto yoiwe

light blue light is from yowie to wallys

blue line is wallys to cronulla 

magenta is from cronulla to cpt cook bridge which takes you home

you can do this backwards... just a matter of if your willing to go from cbd to port hacking 

if you do goto any of these spots take your rubbish with you. spots like cronulla wharf, ferry operators allow people to fish there out of kindness, and people leaving shit behind (and my god have i seen it) will make them shut it down. Try to clean ink of the wharf to after you catch a squid or 10...

Edited by Restyle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restyle said:

awesome! now get out there and get some inkers, plenty about in port hacking 

Yowie boat ramp wharf - hit and miss

gymea baths - quite a few there with a million people 

wallys wharf is a late night (12am) weekday spot unless you want to deal with boats and people

cronulla ferry wharf, my fave spot for squid, can be hard to come along at times but has been poppin in the last few days on 1.5 bright colour jigs.

salmon haul  bay, rock spot dose hold squid although i rarely go there.

a good run is usually 30 mins at yowie if there squid stay till it dies out. no squid, goto wallys. repeat this at wallys, if theres to many people goto cronulla ferry wharf. i generally stay there till i need to get home. all these spots are near eachother 

Rejjp8l.png 

green = arrive from tom ugly bridge (assuming u live in cbd) and goto yoiwe

light blue light is from yowie to wallys

blue line is wallys to cronulla 

magenta is from cronulla to cpt cook bridge which takes you home

you can do this backwards... just a matter of if your willing to go from cbd to port hacking 

That gives me some thing to think about mate thanks 👍

It stay in a spot for hours and hours then donut I'm quite persistent but I think it makes me a bad fisherman. I get hell-bent on a spot I've seen someone catch or some mad idea.

I was out on my boat for 10hours yesterday trying to land a squid then my first king. Nuttin'.. tried 4 spots for squid and 2 for kingies.

2 minutes ago, FishyMcFishFace said:

That gives me some thing to think about mate thanks 👍

It stay in a spot for hours and hours then donut I'm quite persistent but I think it makes me a bad fisherman. I get hell-bent on a spot I've seen someone catch or some mad idea.

I was out on my boat for 10hours yesterday trying to land a squid then my first king. Nuttin'.. tried 4 spots for squid and 2 for kingies.

I went for kings this morning at point molli for nudda, Im persistant as well, sticking to a few spots as i have taken time to know them quite well, unlike going to a new spot i never been to like molli point and watching everyone get kingies. Once you get to know a spot well, those people will be watching you pull out squid, kingies or jewies. 

i like to stick to one system aswell and learn it as best i can, long process but will defiantly pay off. look at yowie for example. 

I find with kings, atleast in port hacking they usually are quite aggressive in early morning (sunrise - 9-10am) but become much more passive as the day goes along

• Like 1

@FishyMcFishFace Im still new to the whole 'egi' thing, only started to target them towards the end of last year & I am slowly building up the gear & yeh it would be a bugger to lose gear like that but you learn what not to do when it starts to hit you in the back pocket.

Went to my local store that has the name of a big snake & picked up these 4 for $50.

Not a bad deal 😁

I have a DAICHISEIKO Egi Rack bigV Squid Jig Case Holder on the way that was fairly cheap via fleabay.

Watch out for sales & build the gear back up is about all you can do  unless you want to become shark bait 😜 plus don't make the same mistake twice!

1817739218_squidjigs.thumb.jpg.ac5bd3cf9bcc7b60c4004cb4680748dd.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

@FishyMcFishFace 

I have a DAICHISEIKO Egi Rack bigV Squid Jig Case Holder on the way that was fairly cheap via fleabay.

Watch out for sales & build the gear back up is about all you can do  unless you want to become shark bait 😜 plus don't make the same mistake twice!

@kingie chaser

Nice one, I saw those daichiseiko bags, they look decent. I got a daichiseiko FG knot assist tool the other week and it's great quality.

I ordered the shimano sephia 20 jig shoulder/waist bag and 15 yammies from somewhere else. Only fiddy bucks!

Can feel some big Calamari and lots of bait for Kingies on it's way!  🤟

Edited by FishyMcFishFace
  • Like 2