Tanacom Tuesday 25.02.2020 Brown's Mnt

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

A quick post to signal I'm back !! Returned to Oz just before the weekend after a few weeks  travelling ... hence the long silence since the last post.  I knew the boat was fully fuelled and we had salted pillies and frozen squid in the freezer. So checked the weather report as soon as the wheels touched down and spotted Tuesday was a go for a trip to Brown's - Maria was quick to agree - so we had our fishing trip sorted before we were off the plane !  Keen to wet a line  - just a tad.

232395658_Photo24-2-2040350pm.thumb.png.90baa86dbf550837593c44012af67d36.png

Plan was to launch from Roseville, race out to Brown's and deep drop to see if the Blue eye had started their run, and then troll around for pelagics if we hit our oogly limit.  The winds would start to pick up around 11am so that was our cut off to start the trip back. Spent Monday checking the boat, running the motors and packing the Tanacoms and the Trolling gear. Found thermostats had seized on the 200 so raced to McGraths Hill to pick up a set - installed that, motors purring, all good. Just a niggling problem with the RH windscreen washer tank leaking water - hmmm not critical - fix that sometime during the week.

6.00am at Roseville and on the water. Only 2 other boats launching - a pro and a local.  A big trailer was already parked there otherwise the car park was empty.  Lots of rowers in middle harbour made for a slow trip to the spit, but then the trip out was glassy as - sitting on 45- 55km/h with just a few rough patches.

7.30am at Brown's.  Three boats there.  Positioned ourselves on the North mark, and set up the deep drops. Observed our drift - current North to South (4-5km/h), water blue 21.8C.  Spent the next 5hrs covering Browns with drifts. The action was slow.

Good news, we scored a Blue-eye each so were quite chuffed with that (the container length is 60cm).

image.png.56fec97f3a85ca2e2eda1a1c6ef71c4c.png

We had two rigs bitten off on the retrieve at around 150-200m, and Maria's blue eye tangled with my line on the retrieve - so quite some time lost re-rigging. With the strong current it meant we spent a lot of time repositioning for drifts.  All in all we  never broke out the trolling gear. 

Having overstayed the 11am cut off  the trip back was going to be a bumpy one with the winds and cross chop as forecast . Averaged 30-35km/h and there were definitely lots of bone jarring potholes on the way back. Infact so many that Maria literally fell out of her seat !

image.png.d34d3dfdebcaace9de9f772b7ee2295e.png

Well, the bolts pulled through the seat base -  she was launched with the seat intact around her and crashed down into the rear deck area. Could have been bad, but fortunately she is fit and flexible and apart from some bruises all she has to show for it is a big grin - and the fact she caught the bigger blue eye !

...as for me...  another thing to fix. Guess its time to replace both seats.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 6

Great report nice feed marlin north and south of Sydney the water  has been shitty for weeks you picked the day had same problem with bolts pulling through the ply on similar style seats changed to Relax helm chair much better

• Thanks 1

• zmk1962 changed the title to Tanacom Tuesday 25.02.2020 Brown's Mnt
On 2/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, Smobaby said:

Great report nice feed marlin north and south of Sydney the water  has been shitty for weeks you picked the day had same problem with bolts pulling through the ply on similar style seats changed to Relax helm chair much better

Thanks @Smobaby  I’ll check out the Reelax chairs. I personally prefer to stand while underway - just find that my knees are the best shock absorbers and I basically lean back against the seat and use it as a brace. The crew usually does the same - so I’m not after a fancy full on helm seat style. Also i have found the side arm rests on the old bucket seats were always in the way restricting access to the side pockets. I’m actually thinking of getting narrower seats with no sides or arm rests.  The seats get most use when we’re at rest waiting for a bite on a slow day.  It was quite unusual for M to be sitting down - and to have her feet up on the dash !!! 

On 2/27/2020 at 4:21 PM, Rebel said:

Great report.

Thanks @Rebel it was great to be able to get out on the water. 

cheers Z

On 2/29/2020 at 8:29 AM, zmk1962 said:

The crew usually does the same - so I’m not after a fancy full on helm seat style. Also i have found the side arm rests on the old bucket seats were always in the way restricting access to the side pockets. I’m actually thinking of getting narrower seats with no sides or arm rests.

Don’t know if this helps but the local 3 letters alphabet store is having up to 40% off on boat seats & cushions & in their catalogue there’s one without arm rests that might suit 

• Thanks 1

Nice work Zoran. Two very nice fish there.

Sorry to hear about Maria's incident but glad she was not injured. I had something similar happen recently when the fittings on one of the chairs came loose and my passenger became airborne. 

The darndest of things happen on the water 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great report, like the backwards facing steering wheel, that must work better for standing between the seat and wheel ( might do the same ). In my new boat I pull my seat out and stand when it gets rough, these bigger glass boats aren't a patch on my rib that I now regret selling!!!!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JonD said:

Great report, like the backwards facing steering wheel, that must work better for standing between the seat and wheel ( might do the same ). In my new boat I pull my seat out and stand when it gets rough, these bigger glass boats aren't a patch on my rib that I now regret selling!!!!

Thanks Jon... reversing the steering wheel was one of the DeBono out of the box thinking moments after I had contemplated a myriad of options to get more clearance between the seat and the helm. I swear the wheel and seat were originally installed just for show - probably so that someone that has only ever driven a car could picture themselves sitting there.

I only sit when trolling ... otherwise I  stand and lean against the seat.  The backs on these new seats fold down, so the added bonus is I can now relocate or reposition for a drift just by flipping the backrest down and leaning over a bit. 

Sorry to hear you miss your rib ... I know how much you loved it. 

26 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

They look good Z, I assume they can be mounted onto adjustable slides & roughly how much, neat trick with reversed wheel & the one handed steering ball

Took a chance. RRP was around $259ea but Fleabay had a special on them at way less than half for 2 seats delivered. Given how little we use them I couldn't resist. But yet to see how long they will last. 

They came with a swivel base - there are 4 fitting bolts also supplied so I presume you could fit an adjustable slide as an alternative to the swivel. 

The steering ball is a godsend when you need to do tight turns at the ramp - lock to lock  3 turns each way - eg: right lock push forward, quick left lock reverse and you've just about turned the boat on the spot.

Cheers Z

• Like 2