Port Kembla - Tomorrow

krause

Thanks for posting. I was interested in joining too but had to look after kids. Looked like there used to be a bit of activity on this board, but not seen much since I got a Kayak. How did you go?

I have been looking out for others going Kayak fishing in the area. Done a bit of land fishing and just Kayaking in the past. Wanted to join the two and am still learning the ropes (Never been boat fishing, not really sure what I am looking for).

I haven't been out in Port Kembla harbor yet. Do you have any issues with the ships?

Only tried the lake and spent some time near Shellharbour boat ramp as well looking for squid. Not had much luck since I got my Kayak last year though. Only caught a bass on the Shoalhaven river and some under-sized flatties up north.

44 minutes ago, bcosta said:

I haven't been out in Port Kembla harbor yet. Do you have any issues with the ships?

Only tried the lake and spent some time near Shellharbour boat ramp as well looking for squid. Not had much luck since I got my Kayak last year though. Only caught a bass on the Shoalhaven river and some under-sized flatties up north.

You can check shipping entry/departures on the website for port harbour. Usually not much traffic during the weekends, you'll probably tussle more with fishing boats than ships 😉

What side of the breakwall in Shellharbour were you targeting squid? If you were inside you won't have much luck, try just out the mouth, headland side, lots of seaweed there and it's where I get them. 

If you are hitting the Lake, try the drop off's, use Google maps, satellite view, you'll see the drop off's quite clearly.

If your yak is ocean capable, I'd recommended launching at the gravel loader just before bass Point. Squid and bream around the loader, kingies at the point or you can paddle/peddle over to where the stone throwers are and drift for flatties and spin/jig for pelagics. 

What side of the breakwall in Shellharbour were you targeting squid? If you were inside you won't have much luck, try just out the mouth, headland side, lots of seaweed there and it's where I get them. 

Sounds like I was in the right spot. Maybe wrong time. I tried a few different colour jigs and didn't get a single hit after 4 hours. There was a bit of swell at the time (was planning to paddle to bass point but decided not to because of the swell). Does this impact squid a lot?

If you are hitting the Lake, try the drop off's, use Google maps, satellite view, you'll see the drop off's quite clearly.

Do you mean like near the east side of the lake?

The kayak came with a fish finder (I wasn't particularly interested in one at the time but has been fun learning more about them and using it). So I was using it to find drop-offs and fishing some on the southern side of the lake. I also tried near the entrance of the lake where the large shallow flat near the small island opens into the deeper water. I saw a bunch of others fishing (not the tourists) at the time too and no one getting anything.

I have been trying different plastics, and lures and keep a second rod left out while drifting with a pilchard on a paternoster to keep it just about 20cm off the floor so it doesn't get destroyed dragging on the ground.

I was also planning to try around the Tallawarra Power Station sometime too.

If your yak is ocean capable, I'd recommended launching at the gravel loader just before bass Point. Squid and bream around the loader, kingies at the point or you can paddle/peddle over to where the stone throwers are and drift for flatties and spin/jig for pelagics.

Thanks for that suggestion, I might give Port Kembla a try first and then here next. With summer finishing up I think I need to get out a bit soon before things get cold and slow down. I have a month of long service leave coming up over April, any suggestions what/where to target at that time as I plan to do a fair bit more over that month?

Thanks again.

Edited by bcosta

Plenty of Squid in Shellharbour harbour, best times are high tide just on dark, middle of the day is a waste of time. Another option is early morning or just on dark high tide, little swell and launch in Little Lake at Barrack Point and work the edge of the sand and rocks after paddling out the entrance, always get a few there.

• 6 months later...