wood turning ?

frankS

Hi guys. Bought myself a cheap small wood turning lathe to start up a new hobby. Thinking of making some spools for Alvey reels and some hand casters from various types of wood. I have a heap of Camphor Laurel logs which I believe is a popular furniture making wood so will see how these turn out. So far just kicking off with some very simple items like egg cups and pen pencil holders but as I get a bit better at it I will start making bowls of all sizes and shapes.

Probably something to give away at Christmas time IF I think what I make is worth giving to anyone for presents.

I know a lot of us fisho's have different hobbies aside from fishing so what is a few hobbies that others do ?. I know Big Neil is into pottery and he makes some very nice items. Please use this space to show us all what other hobbies you have.

Frank

• Like 5

Good onya Frank. With your creativity you'll be "turning" out some nice stuff in no time. Can I be the first to place an order? I would like a shallow bowl with a decent foot on it, nicely varnished. I'll leave the rest to you. Cheers, Neil

Since retiring hurt from the building game, I have turned my other hobby into a part time profession. I now work as a real estate photographer. Not only does it help pay the bills, but I can now claim new gear as a tax deduction.
I'd love to see some of your Alvey spools turned up Frank. Camphor laurel comes up looking nice and is a popular turners timber. Everyone in the street will know when you have the lathe on as the scent of the wood is unmistakable. Good luck with it.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

School I guess for me is the bigger part of my life at the moment but not for much longer. My main hobby outside fishing is Karate, been doing it for 9 years. Almost at the magic 10 year mark. Proabably a lot of you out there who do a martial art as-well. 

@Green Hornet you also mention that camphor laurel smell. I work for my brother who makes camphor laurel chopping boards and yes you can smell my house from a mile but when you have your face in that smell all day your eyes start watering.