Japanese Sea Bass (done)

Lured down to fish Newcastle Harbour after big rain and fresh water pushing out. Caught a 113cm 27lb fish that I couldn't identify.  The fish was formally identified through DNA testing by the DPI. Confirmed as a Japanese Sea Bass. Caught on a 10wt fly rod using a BWC gold bomber fly.

Screenshot_20200214-175446_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ad61970a6fc211b540ac029850f3b4e1.jpgIMG_20200213_183445_574.jpg.7e0228b5bec0a294905419d6ada53e92.jpgIMG_20200213_183448_833.jpg.8c53c50d65bdab03bbc87b2e3822c921.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blackfish said:

On another note, did dit put up a good fight.

Yeah it fought well. At the end of its first run there was a big splash on the surface, I didn't see the fish jump out of the water but I suspect that it did hard to see since it was 2am in the morning in the dark. I would say the battle would of been less than 10min. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, New Signing said:

Really need to get control over the culture of releasing fish into waterways and ensure those doing it understand it should only be done using fish native to the area

Fish wasn't released, at first I planned to but in the dark and trying to tag as quick as possible for release I identified it as a Jewfish as a big long silver fish not expecting it to be a foreign species. I believe it was introduced through the ballast from ships. I personally don't think there would be lots of them when there's only been 2 other recorded captures back in the early 80s in Sydney.   But I could be wrong every chance others  have been caught that where never reported.

The DPI where great to deal with and would suggest to anyone who catches a fish they cannot identify to contact them. But need to be careful not to keep a fish that is under size just because you've identified it wrong.

In my case they contacted me and sent courier to collect fin clip for DNA testing. And plan on aging the fish when I give them the Otoliths which I'm very interested to see how old it is.

Edited by Ben Hall

I wasn't talking about you releasing it mate. In some cultures they like to release fish into waterways in areas they inhabit. A Chinese company purchased the old mental hospital grounds here. The thought they were doing the right thing by releasing cod and silver perch into the Wollondilly. While no one here is complaining about it they aren't actually native to this waterway as it is eastern flowing.

I haven't actually heard of anyone catching the cod but have heard of plenty floating dead. They should survive here given the amount of food and cover though

Ok just the question has been asked since people seen the tag in it that I put in.

Someone else commented about people releasing fish like barra down Sydney on birthdays or new years like you commented about a cultural thing.

• 4 months later...