Drag on Penn Slammer 111 850HS

Pickles

Hi Raiders, I recently purchased a Penn Slammer 111 850 HS for the 50lb drag rating (specifically for an upcoming trip to South a West Rocks - BIG kings, Wahoo etc).

I spooled it with 65lb braid, but very disappointed in how stiff the drag is. I have 3 big Saragossa and 2 Stellas, so know the beauty of silky smooth drag on big reels. DINGA where I bought it said that “it’s normal”, in one sense I don’t mind as I will be trolling and have drag activated, in another send, disappointed as the drag will not back off to less than about 10lb,

what are others experiences with this reel please.

Pickles

Big difference to a Slammer and a Stella, that said, 50lb of drag is really not a selling feature (in my opinion) reel specs seem to change in fads, once a reels corrosion resistance was the benchmark, then how many bearing, then kilos of drag, the drag can be pretty easily modified to suit.

The slammer drag washers are glued to the metal separating shims I believe. That is how they develop such high drag ratings. Why don’t you pull it apart and give the washers a good rub with cals grease? Might help. Whenever I have replaced factory washers with carbontext ones I have always used cals grease.

Edited by Seafarer5

Noelm I saw a YouTube video where someone pulled apart a slammer 3 and the carbon fibre washers are individually glued to the steel washers if you get what I mean. Each “washer” therefore has a steel side and a carbon fibre side. I will pull apart my slammer 3 7500 tonight to check

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey Sorry for the delayed reply on this, however I was reading this because i'm buying a Saragosa tomorrow.

I thought this may be useful Last night I watched a 55min video on Youtube, this dude tears down a Slammer and a Saragosa side by side comparing everything from gearbox, Drag and sealing .  if you have time to bur worth the watch!

Penn Slammer vs Shimano Saragosa

Edited by FishOutaWater
added info
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

Hey Sorry for the delayed reply on this, however I was reading this because i'm buying a Saragosa tomorrow.

I thought this may be useful Last night I watched a 55min video on Youtube, this dude tears down a Slammer and a Saragosa side by side comparing everything from gearbox, Drag and sealing .  if you have time to bur worth the watch!

Penn Slammer vs Shimano Saragosa

Wow, great indepth vid!

Even though both reels don't interest me 😉