Tilt trim issue

garfield28

HI all,

Looking for answers with a tilt and trim issue. 

The other day I was out with my son fishing and I noticed that my tilt up was working but I was a little intermediately, I'd press the up button on my outboard throttle and it wouldn't go up straight away, I'd have to press/tap it a few times. By the time I got back to the ramp it wasn't working at all via the forward control and even on the outboard switch on the side. The whole time though the tilt down was working perfectly normal. When I got home and washed the boat I decided to check if it was the relay that was the issue so I swapped over the relay that was working with the one that wasn't and it didn't still work, but the weird thing is as soon as I put the relay that was working back on it was now not working! Thinking maybe it was on its way out too I bought a brand new one today and put it on and it still isn't working. 

Could someone please tell me if there is a fuse for this part somewhere? I do notice however that when I press on the button even before, it is making a clicking noise which I assume is the circuit opening but it is just dead with no movement almost like when a car has a flat battery, it makes that clicking noise but there's nothing. When I turn the button to start the outboard there is no dramas at all, I'm really perplexed with this one. 

Any help would be much appreciated as I really want to get it sorted so I can hit the water again this weekend. 

Thanks 

Geoff 

13 hours ago, garfield28 said:

Thanks for that I'll have a sicky. 

It appears that you have a problem like I had.

It's an issue with the wiring. There's a blue wire that goes from your relay and what you should try is moving it whilst you press th UP button. If it starts working, its the wire. It could be corroded or have a loose connection. Try spraying all the contacts with INOX. it might help.

Cheers 

Dave

2 hours ago, Sigma said:

It appears that you have a problem like I had.

It's an issue with the wiring. There's a blue wire that goes from your relay and what you should try is moving it whilst you press th UP button. If it starts working, its the wire. It could be corroded or have a loose connection. Try spraying all the contacts with INOX. it might help.

Cheers 

Dave

Thanks Sigma. I started reading your thread today but am not all the way through it yet. I'll give that a go when I get home from work mate, thank you. 

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Geoff. I'm with Sigma on this one. Either that or check for oil leaks around tilt unit and on ground where you park boat and check oil level in reservoir .

Frank

Hi Frank, cheers mate I'll have a look when I get home mate. Frank wouldn't it still make a noise in that the motor will want to operate but can't because of the oil? I press the button mate and there is absolutely nothing and the strange thing is how when I swapped over the relay the one that was actually working before I switched isn't working at all now.  

Geoff. AHH yes you're right it would still turn the trim motor over but slip. MY bad. Sometimes wires look OK but have bad connections, multi meter all wires shake them etc. good luck and I hope it turns out to be something simple.

Frank

Thanks for the replies everyone but sorted it out. 

Turns out it was a bad relay, and when I swapped over the one that was working and when I put it back on and it wasn't was due to me disconnecting wires from both switches as I pulled the relays out. I pulled the below guard part off so I could suss out for loose wires as suggested by Sigma and Frank and discovered that I had accidentally disconnected the both of them. 

Thanks again for those who replied. 

Geoff 

• Like 1