Easy FG Knot

Berleyguts

I have made a number of attempts to tie the FG Knot for joining braid to fluorocarbon or mono leader. I watched different videos, bought the FG tool made locally in Port Stephens/Newcastle, read different written instructions and still struggled with it. I found it a pain in the a__ to tie! Just about all methods require you to maintain tension at all times, which almost requires you to have a third hand, your shoes and socks off and to hold your tongue a certain way! There was no way I was going to be able to tie this in a moving boat, too! In the end, I gave up and reverted to a double uni knot but this does have difficulty passing through the rod guides.

Then, the other day, I found this video on YouTube and decided to give it a go today, since it was raining and I had nothing better to do. This method doesn’t need you to maintain tension. Just hold the line together with your fingers. I use my mouth for the half hitches at the end, as the instructor suggested. I got it on my second attempt and I am really happy with it. I just tied three in my light spinning outfit: mono backing to braid; braid to mono breakaway (an ANSA thing to ensure you are within ANSA/IGFA line classes); then a modified FG for the breakaway to flourocarbon leader. Basically, for the modified breakaway to leader knot, I just used 5 wraps on each side rather than the 10 needed in braid. The knots are compact and pass through the guides easily. I’m very happy!

Here’s a link to the YouTube video. I find most instructional YouTube videos a pain to watch, particularly with the US hype but I suppose the background is worth listening to at first. The step by step instructions start about 6 minutes in.

Hope this helps someone. It certainly helped me!

Cheers!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have watched about 30 odd versions & I quite like this one

I like how the knot gets very compressed by the way the tag is straighened.

Personally I think you need resistance from the main line to get it super close.

In saying that after watching so many different ways of tying it off I have come up with my own version.

I am also using the FG knot assistant now as well which I really like.

When it comes to knots it's a personal thing on  what works for you

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Berleyguts

There are a number of different ways to tie the FG knot.

I bought the FG Wizz tool and I use the method he shows on the website, which I find easy to tie and the knot works really well, you don`t have to use your mouth or leg to keep tension.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yella king said:

Hi Berleyguts

There are a number of different ways to tie the FG knot.

I bought the FG Wizz tool and I use the method he shows on the website, which I find easy to tie and the knot works really well, you don`t have to use your mouth or leg to keep tension.

Yeah, I tried the FG Whizz too but just couldn’t get it right. Anyway, this method works for me (I can do it without my mouth but it does make it easier) and I’m really happy with how the knot looks. Now to test it out on a quality Port Stephens snapper!

3 hours ago, yella king said:

Looking at that tool it does show how easy you could make something very similar for just a few $$.

Not knocking it at all as it looks like it works for the application but at $44 I would be looking for some free scrap wood, a couple of plastic rods, spools etc.

That tool would cost all of $10 to make at the most.

Im a big fan of DIY & wish I had have seen this video before I spent $60 on my fancy Japanese tool!

16 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Im a big fan of DIY & wish I had have seen this video before I spent $60 on my fancy Japanese tool!

The real advantage of the Knot Assist 2.0 is the thing is small enough to fit in your pocket and you can take it anywhere.

I've had a couple for 3 or 4 years now and wouldn't head out without one.

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

The real advantage of the Knot Assist 2.0 is the thing is small enough to fit in your pocket and you can take it anywhere.

I've had a couple for 3 or 4 years now and wouldn't head out without one.

Very true, I've only had mine since Xmas & think it's fantastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Very true, I've only had mine since Xmas & think it's fantastic.

Have a go at tying it, bypassing the half hitch the instructions says you put in the leader material. Just pinch the knot at the end of the wrapping between your finger and thumb, place the leader tag up with the braid main line and half hitch the braid tag over both. Hope that makes sense.

It isn't hard to do and you come up with a slimmer knot.

Glad you found a technique that works for you Baz. I see in that video that he is applying the same wrap pattern as other FG knot techniques, but he applies the tension to bite into the leader at the end of the process ... and then for good measure leaves a 1/16" leader tag just incase it slips.  

Personally,  I'd feel much safer with the tension biting the leader all through the knot tying, also I  wouldn't be happy with that small leader tag as its a snag point that could pick up other line etc. I prefer a smooth FG knot - and to achieve that I cut the leader at an angle, and completely cover the end of the leader with alternating braid half hitches. Doing that only leaves a very short and soft braid tag - a very smooth knot. Probably what @Green Hornet implied above.

FYI, I'm still using my home made DIY jig for all my FG knots. I broke 80lb braid twice last Friday (see Fathoms Friday post) and the FG knots never slipped or failed.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

I just wrap the braid around my feet and tie the tag to the opposing foot. This results in a tiny bit of waste but its a good way to put lots of tension on the line while tying. This is also good if your not a fan of putting stuff in you'r mouth. 

• Like 1

I found this video a few weeks back and found that it works really well for light line.. I have always struggled tying FG nots in light line as the leader always seems to distort when you have pressure on the mainline. 

Interested in giving one of the tools a go.. Is there a consensus on which is the best?

6 hours ago, Bolts1 said:

I found this video a few weeks back and found that it works really well for light line.. I have always struggled tying FG nots in light line as the leader always seems to distort when you have pressure on the mainline. 

Interested in giving one of the tools a go.. Is there a consensus on which is the best?

I was using a combination of the vid I posted before & also this one where I had the line looped in one hand

Personally I think you have to have tension on the line otherwise the braid strands will not form a tight patter.

Not that I have the FG assistant 2.0 it is fairly similar to what this young bloke is doing with the loop in his hand except you just hold the tool.

For me it take the awkwardness out of having to hold the line in your hand & you just hold the tool.

FG.jpg.407459998fc78e7ee245911cf8634af1.jpg

23 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Glad you found a technique that works for you Baz. I see in that video that he is applying the same wrap pattern as other FG knot techniques, but he applies the tension to bite into the leader at the end of the process ... and then for good measure leaves a 1/16" leader tag just incase it slips.  

Personally,  I'd feel much safer with the tension biting the leader all through the knot tying, also I  wouldn't be happy with that small leader tag as its a snag point that could pick up other line etc. I prefer a smooth FG knot - and to achieve that I cut the leader at an angle, and completely cover the end of the leader with alternating braid half hitches. Doing that only leaves a very short and soft braid tag - a very smooth knot. Probably what @Green Hornet implied above.

FYI, I'm still using my home made DIY jig for all my FG knots. I broke 80lb braid twice last Friday (see Fathoms Friday post) and the FG knots never slipped or failed.

Cheers Zoran

Nice DIY Zoran :thumbup:

Just need to make it a tighter fit in the holder so it doesn't move around as much for me.

That's when you know your tying good knots, when you get a line failure before the knot fails!

Love the FG 👍

Edited by kingie chaser

11 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

I usually leave a few millimetres of leader tag, heat the back of a spoon then melt the leader so  it's a bit thicker, to give an added safeguard

I have been advised both to do this and not to.. Advised to melt the leader to reduce any sharp edges from the cut end that could cut the mainline and advised not to as any thickening of the tag end creates a rubbing point on the mainline when they lay flat.... like most of fishing there is a lot of conflicting information...

3 hours ago, Bolts1 said:

I have been advised both to do this and not to.. Advised to melt the leader to reduce any sharp edges from the cut end that could cut the mainline and advised not to as any thickening of the tag end creates a rubbing point on the mainline when they lay flat.... like most of fishing there is a lot of conflicting information...

You’re right, I never thought Of that. That’s why I love this forum such a wealth of info

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

I've never melted the tag end of the leader and never experienced any chafing on the braid.

If tied correctly it won't slip, so I see no need to melt the end.

What I do see a lot of, is guys putting too many wraps in their FG's. When pulled tight, every wrap should bite into the leader. If they don't, the wraps can loosen over time leading to knot failure.

Example. For PE 1.5 braid and 20lb leader, I only do 8 sets of wraps and for PE 0.6 and 0.8, I do 12. Never had one slip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I've never melted the tag end of the leader and never experienced any chafing on the braid.

If tied correctly it won't slip, so I see no need to melt the end.

What I do see a lot of, is guys putting too many wraps in their FG's. When pulled tight, every wrap should bite into the leader. If they don't, the wraps can loosen over time leading to knot failure.

Example. For PE 1.5 braid and 20lb leader, I only do 8 sets of wraps and for PE 0.6 and 0.8, I do 12. Never had one slip.

Thanks Green Hornet, I usually run more than that but I do notice that the lower end of my FG's don't tighten up even under a large amount of strain.. Might try reducing the number of wraps and see how I go.. added bonus of making them faster to tie lol

• Like 1

In finishing off knots once pulled & stretched I've seen where some people cut the tag end closeish on the fluoro/mono leader & then do multiple 1/2 hitches over the end to protect the leader material from hanging up on guides.

I don't think its a bad idea as long as it doesn't create any bulk points. 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

In finishing of knots once pulled & stretched I've seen where some people cut the tag end on the fluoro/mono leader & then do multiple 1/2 hitches over the end to protect the leader material from hanging up on guides.

I don't think its a bad idea as long as it doesn't create any bulk points. 

That's what I do KC. It tidies the knot up and allows for smooth movement through the guides. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

That's what I do KC. It tidies the knot up and allows for smooth movement through the guides. Cheers, bn

Neil, do you do those half hitches over the tag end of the leader with the tag end of the braid mainline?

Edited by Berleyguts

11 hours ago, Bolts1 said:

I have noticed that when I burned it it held the mainline at a angle. Done three things to remedy the problem.

1, Use a sharp tool to get a little gap for the mainline to fit through

2, Melt it so close that the mainline is not affected (sketchy!)

3 (what I do now) pull half hitches in between the main line and the burned end to create a barrier and secure the knot better

As per my previous post I cut the leader tag at an angle and run alternating half hitches until I have covered the leader tag. End result is a smooth long knot that slips through easily. 
D04EE62F-FF5E-45F2-AF10-8FF54F60CDA8.thumb.jpeg.bef6444eba3f6d8a668a64cf035ee52c.jpeg

The braid breaks before the knot gives.

cheers Zoran 

• Like 3