Easy FG Knot

Berleyguts

35 minutes ago, James Clain said:

I have noticed that when I burned it it held the mainline at a angle. Done three things to remedy the problem.

1, Use a sharp tool to get a little gap for the mainline to fit through

2, Melt it so close that the mainline is not affected (sketchy!)

3 (what I do now) pull half hitches in between the main line and the burned end to create a barrier and secure the knot better

Hard to get a hot spoon 40km offshore !  10-12 tight cinches each way and no need to melt. 
cheers Z

Edited by zmk1962

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Hard to get a hot spoon 40km offshore !  10-12 tight cinches each way and no need to melt. 
cheers Z

I fish land based so I have not come across that issue but in the end you don't have to burn the tag, just cut is close and make sure the knot is extra tight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Neil, do you do those half hitches over the tag end of the leader with the tag end of the braid mainline?

That's right Baz. I cut of the leader (mono or fluoro) close and then form several half hitches over it with the braid. This presents a nice, smooth knot that slips through the guides easily. I usually cut the braid about 5mm from the end of the knot. This is no hinderance to casting and allows you to see where the leader starts as you retrieve your lure. It also lessens the chance of the half hitches undoing. Hope this makes sense. bn

• Thanks 1