Bobbin Head

Nathan81

Hi 

I started kayak fishing a year or so ago and I have mainly been heading to Bobbin Head. I launch down near the canoe/kayak ramp, head under the bridge and out past the marina.  

I have been getting a few bites without much luck. I pulled in a small bream near the paddle boats but that's the best I have got. 

Now that I am getting a little more confident, does anyone have any suggestions on spots around Bobbin Head. Prefer to launch at Bobbin Head as it's close to home and time is often limited.

Hi mate,

Keep going around to Apple Tree Bay where the boats launch. There is an easy side bit where you can launch and no mud like where you are launching at the moment. Try around the boat moorings, the little wharf (not the one next to the ramp, the one over near the boats) and also go for a longer paddle and try the drop offs in the small bays. there is also whiting on the flats. good luck.

Brew

Hi Nathan 

If you go over the sand flats behind the marina at high tide ,you can paddle all the way up the creek all the way to Turramurra and drift back down on the run out. Plenty of fish up there,monster wihting, perch, flatties even bull sharks. Let us know how you go.

Cheers Scotty 

Thanks for the advice.

I have been trying to avoid Apple Tree Bay as I was told that it can get busy with the boats. As a beginner I didn't want to get in the way or make the wrong move and end up in front of one.

Scotty, how far up is that past the Marina? I have been up a bit but always got worried I wouldn't have the energy to get back. I guess coming back with the tide would help with that.

Sorry another thing, what would your bait of choice be? I generally flick plastics towards the shore as I move along. Is it worth putting bait out on the other side or stick with plastics? If bait what are the recommendation for the area?

Hey Nathan, the creek goes for a few kms,have a look on Google maps. There are few sand flats to negotiate but quite a few deep holes and rock bars. Best bait are nippers,poddy mullet or fresh hawksbury prawns. Z man grubs work well,and I bet a popper or sugerpen will work well on the wihting as well. It's a nice peaceful place to explore. 

Cheers Scotty 

Edited by scottyboy

ive fished the creek upstream from the marina since i was a kid so more than 35 years-the whole area is excellent for flatties,whiting and EP's- ive also caught a few jewies in the first big hole- the paddle from the canoe launch area at Bobbin is not that far - but use the tides to your advantage-its also a nice place to be in a ýak or canoe as power boats tend not to get up there.

Paddy. One for the dummies.

If I'm looking for a hole in that area, what am I looking for? Is it just a darker area of water? Sorry if this should be common knowledge I'm still new to most of this, when I was younger I fished in my dads boat or at grandparents on a river.

go up there at low tide-will give you a very good view of structure etc -nothing wrong with asking questions -this is a very helpful place to learn. I havent been up there in a while but the sand/mud flats and little creek mouth run offs fire very well for flathead on a dropping tide. The first big hole is a doozy-at low tide you cant miss it- the rock faces tend to have schooling EP's and the shallow areas of fast current on the sandy edge is an excellent place to use surface lures for whiting in summer. The middle of the holes can have a few school jew at times and a few bull sharks too. Its a very peaceful place .

Thanks Paddy

I have been up and around the first bend just out of site of the marina. I have had a few big bites and a big flathead chasing the bait near my kayak on the right hand side as you head away from the marina. 

I have been mainly low tide and you get a good sense of what is around, the one time I went at high tide I was getting snagged because the nothing was visible.

All a bit of trial and error at the moment, even when the fish aren't biting it is very peaceful and a nice place just to hang out.

• 8 months later...
On 3/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, PaddyT said:

go up there at low tide-will give you a very good view of structure etc -nothing wrong with asking questions -this is a very helpful place to learn. I havent been up there in a while but the sand/mud flats and little creek mouth run offs fire very well for flathead on a dropping tide. The first big hole is a doozy-at low tide you cant miss it- the rock faces tend to have schooling EP's and the shallow areas of fast current on the sandy edge is an excellent place to use surface lures for whiting in summer. The middle of the holes can have a few school jew at times and a few bull sharks too. Its a very peaceful place .

It's been a while and due to one reason or another I haven't been out much. 

I went for a quick paddle a month or so ago with my daughter under the walk bridge and out past the board walking area, super clear and I noticed a couple of big holes (is this where the hole you mentioned is?). Even spotted a large flathead, unfortunately no fishing gear. I though I might try it out with my daughter as it's pretty quiet, she is only 4 so is small enough to fit on the kayak with me.

Hi Nathan, its about half a kilometer from the last line of boats at the marina, there is a big set of rocks jutting out on the north side of the creek and the south side has mangroves and a sand/mud spit, the channel gets constricted here and the runout tide is a usually a sure fire bet for lizards. if you take your little one up there go on the falling tide and she can get out on the sandbank and play when shes had enough of sitting with dad in the ýak. This time of year it should be firing for lizards and whiting.

Thanks Paddy

The plan is to definitely try out a few spots in that area, over summer and before my daughter is to big and I cant find a spot on the kayak for her.

All she wants to do is catch a fish and at the moment doesn't understand why we don't always get at least one. If only I had the answer.

good stuff Nathan-when my kids were that small i would just take them to the wharf at Bobbin (or anywhere else) and used some peeled prawns on very small hooks and just catch tiddlers like little bream and yakkas- this was usually more than enough to keep them amused and was pretty stress free rather than dragging the boat out etc, kids like to catch lots ,not neccessarily big stuff. My daughter is now 17 and unfortunately not very keen to fish anymore-enjoy it while you can!!