First kingfish from Sydney Harbour & fisheries inspection.

Pickles

Took fellow raider Steve (Fishy Mcfishface) out on Tuesday to hunt down his first Kingie. God was good and we caught half a dozen squid in half an hour. We did try several headlands (unproductively) until cracked them. Yakkas were plentiful and perfect size. Steve’s first Kingie smocked him on its second run - straight to the bottom and Gooorn. He quickly learnt that drag has to be wound up tight and no “finesse” techniques on these bad boys.

We also bagged a nice 53cm snapper.

The southerly did make things choppy and unpleasant, but always somewhere out of the wind in our magnificent harbour.

Fisheries came aboard (second time this month) to inspect the catch (no undersized fish of course) and interested in what was under the floor and any hidden compartments and very keen to see fishing licences. Steve’s licence had one day till expiry - keep an eye on your licences Raiders - the fine is $200. These folks were pleasant and courteous as always and do a great job. If we do the right thing, why be dubious of them.

ACB5CF5E-4B8B-417C-A8E8-20870A072A37.jpeg

• Like 12

Good one Pickles, were they a bit slower to come on board & how was the water temp, that snapper was a good sized bonus & great to hear Steve caught his second fish 😁 & probably picked up a few tips Along the way regarding squid 👍

• Haha 1

Absolutely amazing the rod finally came alive.. I lost one much bigger I think too! 

Insane fish those Kingies!!

Got my PB Snapper, PB King, PB squid in size and quantity. LOL  😂

Licence expired that day they waived the non producing fee of $75 as I found my licence later that day.

Just renewed for another year of fishing! 

@Pickles I was perplexed by your knowledge and was a mint day out, I cant thank you enough! 🙏

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

Took fellow raider Steve (Fishy Mcfishface) out on Tuesday to hunt down his first Kingie. God was good and we caught half a dozen squid in half an hour. We did try several headlands (unproductively) until cracked them. Yakkas were plentiful and perfect size. Steve’s first Kingie smocked him on its second run - straight to the bottom and Gooorn. He quickly learnt that drag has to be wound up tight and no “finesse” techniques on these bad boys.

We also bagged a nice 53cm snapper.

The southerly did make things choppy and unpleasant, but always somewhere out of the wind in our magnificent harbour.

Fisheries came aboard (second time this month) to inspect the catch (no undersized fish of course) and interested in what was under the floor and any hidden compartments and very keen to see fishing licences. Steve’s licence had one day till expiry - keep an eye on your licences Raiders - the fine is $200. These folks were pleasant and courteous as always and do a great job. If we do the right thing, why be dubious of them.

ACB5CF5E-4B8B-417C-A8E8-20870A072A37.jpeg

Well at least they were polite - unlike our Waterways officers. One harranged me recently for 10 min claiming I passed within 10 m of another boat at speed. I was at least 50 m away and only doing about 16 knots. He tried to tell me that hitting one wave would have resulted in a collison. I thought someone in that job would understand perspective and that 2 objects when viewed from a distance appear closer together than the really are.

Another one told me once my lifejacket was in borderline condition for getting a fine for poor condition when it looked perfect to me  - never been used or sat on, just a bit dirty. 

Edited by kingfishbig
  • Sad 1

That’s a heck of a reddy for the harbour. Any photos?

Also my experience with fisheries has been mixed over the years but I’m happy to have them come on board and look around. It’s an opportunity for me to show them the boat I custom built and use alone. Better to feel proud rather than feel like the subject of an investigation right?

Edited by Keflapod
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Keflapod said:

That’s a heck of a reddy for the harbour. Any photos?

Also my experience with fisheries has been mixed over the years but I’m happy to have them come on board and look around. It’s an opportunity for me to show them the boat I custom built and use alone. Better to feel proud rather than feel like the subject of an investigation right?

received_2574610796192238.jpeg

• Like 1

Mate snapper are amongst the most beautiful fish when photographed alive whether 0.5kg or 5kg. Very nice. Also the Japanese food you had in front of you looks incredible. She’s lucky to have a great fisho and you’re lucky to have a great chef. I write this as I have my tinned tuna and rice lunch😆

• Haha 5