Kiwi Fisho Exploring Sydney Land Based - Fishing Report

JahmonW

Hey Guys,

I'm new here so figured it would be best to introduce myself to the forum and write a little story at the same time.

I grew up in Kalgoorlie WA, with Esperance being my childhood holiday destination. I have been fishing since before I could walk and never had much trouble getting the odd fish in Esperance. I moved to Nelson, New Zealand when I as 8 and from there was when I really got into my fishing. In Nelson the main fish species include snapper, kingfish, kahawai (salmon), mullet, trout, gurnard, butterfish, moki (morwong) and more. I have enjoyed a lot of success fishing round the south island. 

548069160_Screenshot_20200314-215003_Photos(1).thumb.jpg.f1ad6e3a6404f20c9fb6ed0383a2233f.jpg

My personal bests include 90cm kingfish, 14lb snapper, 62cm blue moki (blue morwong), 65cm butterfish (greenbone), 70cm kahawai (salmon) and some big trout all measured from the V of the tail mind you. Mainly in NZ we use baits, trolling or vertical jigging for kingfish is popular and anything below 50lb braid is considered lightweight. For snapper straylining is the most popular and softplastics are rarely used by fishos. We don't have flathead, tailor or squid in NZ so I have been enjoying getting into those here in Sydney,

Screenshot_20200314-215208_Photos.thumb.jpg.a3dc17b030e0c8799469670907b4f5e9.jpg

I moved to Sydney a month ago and I am working here and adventuring around on a gap year between high school and uni. So far I have been getting out doing a lot of fishing with the users DerekD and Mike89. DerekD has been particularly helpful getting me onto a variety of different species using all sorts of methods of fishing that are so new to me as a kiwi fisho. I have caught 34cm blackfish, 50cm salmon, 50cm tailor, 46cm flathead, 32cm bream, whiting, squid, trevally, bass and more already no thanks to the expertise of DerekD. I have particularly been enjoying catching flathead on softplastics with the zman grubz in motor oil being my plastic of choice. The next fish that are on my bucketlist are bonito and jewfish. I have been thoroughly enjoying the Sydney landbased fishing which is exceedingly better than the landbased fishing where I am from in NZ.

456094258_Screenshot_20200314-214908_Photos(1).thumb.jpg.385aa5b52c86a5521b807118c2f903c1.jpg

Today was probably the best day so far I have had in Sydney. We had massive tailor, salmon and bonito busting up everywhere inside the harbour. I managed to land some nice salmon and tailor on some halco twisties on 20lb and 5lb setups. Mike89 got onto some nice bonnies and a tailor and an impressive 40cm blackfish. Another guy we were fishing with managed to catch a 63cm flathead and a purple-spotted bigeye which was an awesome fish. Derek89 also got onto a variety of fish including squid as well.  In total in one day we managed to catch blackfish, salmon, tailor, bonito, snapper, leatherjacket, purple-spotted bigeye, flathead, squid and we saw some kingis too!

Screenshot_20200314-205016_Photos.thumb.jpg.0e8425672ca2d6e42a314da301beea21.jpg

I look forward to enjoying more success in 2020 with my fishing endeavours. I would also love to give a huge shoutout to DerekD for mentoring me and teaching me the ways of the Sydney fishing. 

Please feel free to ask questions,

Thanks,

Jahmon

Screenshot_20200314-221118_Photos.jpg

• Like 10

Welcome to the best fishing site in Oz Jahmon. It's great to see that you readily acknowledge the help which other Raiders have given to you. One of the greatest benefits of being here on Fishraider...there's always somebody to either tell you or show you what you need to know. I hope that you continue to enjoy your gap year and enjoy learning more about fishing in Sydney. Good luck with your future endeavours young fella and tight lines. bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2020 at 9:47 AM, kingfishbig said:

You do have squid in NZ. There is a high volume commercial fishery based on them:

Hey Mate, Thanks for the reply. Not where I'm from unfortunately and most are caught in hundreds of meters of water

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 9:04 PM, The Rev said:

Great story and report - welcome aboard. Where in the harbour are generally fishing?  The Rev

Bit of everywhere mate. Middle harbour, Mosman, Pittwater. All sorts

• Like 1

Great report - thank you for sharing. Try the Waverley district rocks off Bondi, Bronte, Mackenzies etc for some great Drummer, Blackfish and pelagic action. Make sure you are only out there on small and safe days and wear a life jacket! 

• Thanks 1

Hi Jahmon.

It has been an absolute pleasure showing you and Josiah some of the world class fishing that Sydney has to offer. The grin on your face when you catch a new species is contagious (of the good kind).

We'll have to start concentrating on the mulloway (jewfish) soon as that might take a few outings. I can target them but I am nowhere near as proficient as some of the other people on this site.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the fishing checklist goes and now that you are likely to be in Sydney for a lot longer there will probably be a few other species that will get added to the list.

Regards,

Derek

• Thanks 1

That’s a really good first report & photos @JahmonW 😎 & welcome to the fishraider site, that’s a great rap sheet of PB’s you’ve already achieved & having someone like @DerekD mentoring you I’m sure you’ll be adding to the list in no time, keep up the good work & hope to see plenty more 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Hi Jahmon.

It has been an absolute pleasure showing you and Josiah some of the world class fishing that Sydney has to offer. The grin on your face when you catch a new species is contagious (of the good kind).

We'll have to start concentrating on the mulloway (jewfish) soon as that might take a few outings. I can target them but I am nowhere near as proficient as some of the other people on this site.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the fishing checklist goes and now that you are likely to be in Sydney for a lot longer there will probably be a few other species that will get added to the list.

Regards,

Derek

Can't thank you enough Derek!