How Much Is A Jewie Worth To You - Sydney Fishers

mattyt

Hi all,

i am just trying to get my head around some preliminary economic modelling to do with my stocking work, I was wondering if you guys could help me with a few questions.

Some of the questions may seem stupid, but they do fit into the bigger picture.

Try not to inflate the answers in line with the passion i know many of you feel for jewie fishing.

Please answer the following questions:

1. How many jewies would you catch in a year (i.e. <1, 10, 50, 100!!??) - include all kept and released fish :1fishing1: ?

2. What $ value would you outlay to catch an average size jewie (say 4-5 kg). Include in your answer the total cost you would outlay for a trip to target jews specifically (i.e. beer :beersmile: , bait, tackle, boat fuel etc)? As a guide this answer would typically be in the range of $20 - $100).

3. What $ value would you put on the experience of catching an average sized jew (i.e. aesthetic value). Try comparing the enjoyment you get out of it with the enjoyment you may get from a night on the drink that cost you $100 (Dont inflate this one too much)?

4. If there were more jews in a system :1yikes: (i.e. stocking jewfish resulted in better catch rates), would you go fishing more for them. This is especially relevant for those who fish for the fun of it but release their catch?

5. How many nights a year would specifically go fishing to target jewfish?

Thanks in advance for your help, and at the end of next week i will post the collated results on Fishraider for your interest-

Cheers,

Matt

University of NSW

1. How many jewies would you catch in a year (i.e. <1, 10, 50, 100!!??) - include all kept and released fish :1fishing1: ?

6 :1prop:

2. What $ value would you outlay to catch an average size jewie (say 4-5 kg). Include in your answer the total cost you would outlay for a trip to target jews specifically (i.e. beer :beersmile: , bait, tackle, boat fuel etc)? As a guide this answer would typically be in the range of $20 - $100).

easily $20 to $40 depending on location.

3. What $ value would you put on the experience of catching an average sized jew (i.e. aesthetic value). Try comparing the enjoyment you get out of it with the enjoyment you may get from a night on the drink that cost you $100 (Dont inflate this one too much)?

$10 for an averged sized one, $100 per kilo over 7kg :biggrin2:

4. If there were more jews in a system :1yikes: (i.e. stocking jewfish resulted in better catch rates), would you go fishing more for them. This is especially relevant for those who fish for the fun of it but release their catch?

no would not fish for them any more than i do today

Hi all,

i am just trying to get my head around some preliminary economic modelling to do with my stocking work, I was wondering if you guys could help me with a few questions.

Try not to inflate the answers in line with the passion i know many of you feel for jewie fishing.

Hi Matt, I have only caught a handfull but i know i love to catch and release them would be plus 6 and hopefully a lot more

Including tackle, time,fuel and other assorted goodies at least 50 to 60 buxs

I Think the average fisho who has never felt the thrill of our mulloway would pay anything to get one especially if they where easier to target

I love to catch em always and target them as many trips as possible with mates and newcomers ,they have a special appeal about them .BIG HANDSOME FISH THAT TASTE GOOD ON THE PLATE AS WELL :thumbup:

As many times as i could i just love the feeling of the head shake and the run of a nice JEW

Thanks in advance for your help, and at the end of next week i will post the collated results on Fishraider for your interest-

Cheers,

Matt

University of NSW

Cheers Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest

. How many jewies would you catch in a year (i.e. <1, 10, 50, 100!!??) - include all kept and released fish ?

28 this year

2. What $ value would you outlay to catch an average size jewie (say 4-5 kg). Include in your answer the total cost you would outlay for a trip to target jews specifically (i.e. beer , bait, tackle, boat fuel etc)? As a guide this answer would typically be in the range of $20 - $100).

$35

Its hard placing value on catching the big one?? My biggest on a sp was 15 kgs my :wife: sister Mum and best mate were all there to watch the whole event unfold it would have to be one of the best moments of my life i havnt had a night on the piss nearly as good(land based as well :biggrin2: ).

4. If there were more jews in a system (i.e. stocking jewfish resulted in better catch rates), would you go fishing more for them. This is especially relevant for those who fish for the fun of it but release their catch?

Hell yeah if i could get out more i would.

Good questions Matt thanks again for the map :thumbup:

1. How many jewies would you catch in a year (i.e. <1, 10, 50, 100!!??) - include all kept and released fish ?

6-10

2. What $ value would you outlay to catch an average size jewie (say 4-5 kg). Include in your answer the total cost you would outlay for a trip to target jews specifically (i.e. beer , bait, tackle, boat fuel etc)? As a guide this answer would typically be in the range of $20 - $100).

Maybe im spending too much compared to other people, but $ 150- 200 would be resonable i recon..

(Fuel + Tackle $60, beer $50, bait $20, food $20)

if on a charter, then closer to $200 (or more sometimes, if its a specific charter)

Big :1yikes: Jew ; $ 200-$ 300

Small-med jew: $ 100

Hairtail: 1 Million $'s (sorry couldn't help myself) :074:

4. If there were more jews in a system (i.e. stocking jewfish resulted in better catch rates), would you go fishing more for them. This is especially relevant for those who fish for the fun of it but release their catch?

I would target them more specifically.

One one this year , but in the past years around 5-8 nights

1. How many jewies would you catch in a year (i.e. <1, 10, 50, 100!!??) - include all kept and released fish 1fishing1.gif ?

3 so far!!!

2. What $ value would you outlay to catch an average size jewie (say 4-5 kg). Include in your answer the total cost you would outlay for a trip to target jews specifically (i.e. beer beersmile.gif , bait, tackle, boat fuel etc)? As a guide this answer would typically be in the range of $20 - $100).

$70

very similar to Coach on this one,

Big 1yikes.gif Jew ; $ 300-$ 500

Small-med jew: $ 100

4. If there were more jews in a system 1yikes.gif (i.e. stocking jewfish resulted in better catch rates), would you go fishing more for them. This is especially relevant for those who fish for the fun of it but release their catch?

More than likely, as now we already try more in known Jew waters.

So far none, as most of it has been spinning in the daytime.

1. How many jewies would you catch in a year (i.e. <1, 10, 50, 100!!??) - include all kept and released fish ?

Geez, I guess I would spend, on average, about $80 all up in tackle, fuel food etc for each jewie that I've caught (although I'm really bad at it, so my average cost is quite high). Yeah - I've easily spent $800 this year chasing the buggers.

Well it's the fishing experience that I really enjoy, as opposed to the thrill of actually catching a jewie, but if you were to ask me whilst I was out there fishing how much I would pay to catch a reasonable jewie right at that point I would probably answer around the $40 mark.

Absolutely - no doubt. The frequency with which I go fishing is directly proportionate to my expectation of catching fish.

5, but then I fish for them during the day a fair bit too. All up (day and night), probably about 20 times per year.

Mondo

around 100 per season

fuel: $2-5

beer: $10

lures: $$$$$$$

catching soaps on light gear....priceless :1prop:

1-4kg: $5

4-6kg: $25

10kg+: $100+

probably not

60-70 nights

check your PM's matt

Edited by matt_nsw

* 60 odd * ( My Son )

Probably released 3 times as many as kept.

*Fuel costs Round trip to Forster To catch worms for Bait* $30.00...

*Not too many Booze ups can compare with a Fish of a lifetime*

* Probably Not*

At least 3 nights a week , so say at least .....150 .....

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

Hi all,

30 odd

$60 - $70

$150+

Yes

Cheers,

Matt

University of NSW

1- 30-40 on average

2. $100-150 (squid costs me a fortune)

3. Big Jew are priceless

4. No, only cause i go as often as i can anyway but i would if i had more free time

5. I dont fish nights, around 20-30 days

I think what your doing is great Matt and much appreciated by all im sure :thumbup:

Guest johblow

1- 30-40 on average

2. $100-150 (squid costs me a fortune)

3. Big Jew are priceless

4. No, only cause i go as often as i can anyway but i would if i had more free time

5. I dont fish nights, around 20-30 days

Wow jewnut! Looks like you're holding up the local bait industry there :thumbup: Recon you are getting value for money but - i'd happily pay $3k for the pleasure of pulling in 40 jewies!!!

My stats are probably the ones that you'd ignore as erroneous, but here goes anyhow:

1: 3 (2 so far this year hahaha, the preasures on now...)

2: $20 ($15 for fuel, $5 worth of BBQ shapes)

3: hmmm... well, in pure pleasure terms, catching a big fish is on par with a good lovin', so whatever the going rate is for that - $200?

4: yes times ten plus one

5: 12min 24max

Wow jewnut! Looks like you're holding up the local bait industry there :thumbup: Recon you are getting value for money but - i'd happily pay $3k for the pleasure of pulling in 40 jewies!!!

My stats are probably the ones that you'd ignore as erroneous, but here goes anyhow:

1: 3 (2 so far this year hahaha, the preasures on now...)

2: $20 ($15 for fuel, $5 worth of BBQ shapes)

3: hmmm... well, in pure pleasure terms, catching a big fish is on par with a good lovin', so whatever the going rate is for that - $200?

4: yes times ten plus one

5: 12min 24max

GOOD LOVING , I think that is priceless :yahoo: