Recent events- Coronavirus

Scratchie

Gday Fishraiders, 

With recent happenings of world events, there is certainly going to be members here on this site that are adversely affected by this pandemic of Coronavirus. 

Whilst the majority of us will not be directly affected ourselves by the virus, there will be plenty that will be indirectly affected via, loss of income, isolation, family members being ill, Members businesses affected etc etc. 

For such reasons I would asked that any posting related to this virus, either in jest or specific not be posted. 

This site can be used as a very good escape from the chaotic scenes of late and let’s try and keep it that way. 

Stay safe and best of luck to all fishraider members. 

Regards scratchie mod team

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Excellent words of wisdom and thanks @Scratchie

My daughter is  Clinical Nurse Consultant in an Oncology Unit and is frontline. I worry but am proud of our clinicians in the thick of it. 
Let’s keep this an escape from the panic out there for the moment. 
There may be some way our community can help down the line. If you have any ideas send to me please. 

Thanks raiders 

• Thanks 2

You continue to be an icon of wisdom Scratchie.

I havent been out fishing in months (only one trip actually where we managed a few flatties and a flounder). Renovating the house from October to February - then early February the few days i did have available the weather was terrible.

Reading everyones reports has kept me going. Keep up the positivity and lets keep this place as an escape for the mind. which is what most of us go to for fishing anyway !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, marks1984 said:

why cant we isolate out on a boat fishing for 2 weeks

This has been brought up and while the idea of spending two weeks on a boat is appealing to some, it is not reality for others. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Fair enough. I’ll bite my tongue in future.

Don’t bite your tongue mate, have your say and a laugh or whatever and then accept the feedback. That’s how I deal with issues also. We know you’re not having a dig at anyone 👍 just some people are dealing with it worse than others and may get offended but it’s not personal

• Thanks 2

Donna,Scratchie,Stewy

We are doing OK out there in the Health System-long may it continue. So far,the hospitals are coping with this unprecedented outbreak.I hope your daughter is well.

The fishing on fly has been good lately on Kings, but best left to another time to talk about it.

Regards to yourself & Stewie.

Mark

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

All good Baz. There is just enough anxiety in the world right now and we don’t need to add to it. 

It’s all good, Jeff! 😎 I made a light hearted post in The Bar. Having a bit of a laugh is how I deal with stressful situations. In reality, I am taking a balanced but serious approach to this “crisis”. Until yesterday, we had 2 1/2 rolls of toilet paper left in the house for 5 people across the 3 bathrooms. I managed to pick up a 24 pack and have shared it with my neighbours. As you know, I work in retail. I don’t like proximity to people at the best of times, so I’m happy for people to keep 1.5 metres from me... but do they? No! They continue to lean in close to me, asking why Bunnings has no face masks (haven’t had them since the bushfires), why there is no hand sanitizer, why we don’t have the big rolls of toilet paper it said on the news that we sell (not ranged at our small store), why there are no antibacterial wipes and why we are out of isopropyl alcohol, which they read could be used to make your own hand sanitizer! The other day, a lady sneezed into her hand. I said, “Bless you!”, then she said, “Thank you”, and patted me on the arm! I mean, really?! I see people not washing their hands after using the toilets. On the registers, I have customers touching their faces, sneezing into their hands, then handing over cash. Today, I took to wearing nitrile gloves at all times, as my frequent use of hand sanitizer after every cash transaction was playing havoc with my skin, which is particularly sensitive due to the psoriasis medication I am on. I am just about over it! Having said that, although this is going to get worse before it gets better, I remain confident that we’ll get through it OK! I do my best to continue to support local small businesses wherever I can. I remain thankful that, in the majority of our great country, we have quality, safe drinking water from the tap, so can get by without bottled water, unlike some friends I have in the USA, who don’t just queue for toilet paper, rice and pasta but for bottled water and, for god’s sake, guns!

Stay happy, safe and healthy people!

Edited by Berleyguts

Well said & thanks for stating the bigger picture scratchie

I was just trying to make light of the situation & rolling along with the post I hope my comments didn’t create any angst or grief for any one, & if so I apologise for that as it was only meant as a bit of fun 

Edited by 61 crusher

Well said scratchie, while some people may not be affected right now but everyone will be affected in some way.

While its all well & good to have a sense of humor in a whole the situation should not be trivialised either!

Checked your superfund balance lately??

Apart from just losing all my work, I just lost $30,000 out of my super fund.

10's of thousands of casual workers will be out of work, many businesses & entire industries will close their doors.

Airlines are going to fold, tourism losses will force many destination towns to become ghost town .

All this has a roll on effect into many different industries! 

People will just stop spending money where they don't have to!!

Saying you have a lot of sick leave means SFA when the boss walks in & says your redundant!

I had 130 sick leave days when I was made redundant 2 years ago so that does nothing for you if your not employed. 

Anyway Im off the Centrelink this morning to work out how I can get some government support & how I am going to pay my rent & bills as all of hospitality is in the same boat  🤐

By the way anyone looking for a qualified chef with 36 years experience?

I also have a forklift licence, white card, RSA & am pretty handy on the tools as well ;)

Edited by kingie chaser

13 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Well said scratchie, while some people may not be affected right now but everyone will be affected in some way.

Checked your superfund balance lately??

Apart from just losing all my work, I just lost $30,000 out of my super fund.

10's of thousands of casual workers will be out of work, many businesses & entire industries will close their doors.

Airlines are going to fold, tourism losses will force many destination towns to become ghost town .

All this has a roll on effect into many different industries! 

People will just stop spending money where they don't have to!!

Saying you have a lot of sick leave means SFA when the boss walks in & says your redundant!

I had 130 sick leave days when I was made redundant 2 years ago so that does nothing for you if your not employed. 

Anyway Im off the Centrelink this morning to work out how I can get some government support & how I am going to pay my rent & bills as all of hospitality is in the same boat  🤐

By the way anyone looking for a qualified chef with 36 years experience?

I also have a forklift licence, white card, RSA & am pretty handy on the tools as well ;)

Feel like moving to Goulburn, making and installing signs for a living?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mgj said:

Donna,Scratchie,Stewy

We are doing OK out there in the Health System-long may it continue. So far,the hospitals are coping with this unprecedented outbreak.I hope your daughter is well.

The fishing on fly has been good lately on Kings, but best left to another time to talk about it.

Regards to yourself & Stewie.

Mark

Thanks Mark  @mgj  hope you are coping out there and let me know any intel on PM if you like. 
Daughter 2 is frantically busy trying to ensure her Oncology patients are safe and well. 
Daughter 1 (who you know) is married lives in UK and is 14 weeks pregnant. I am booked to fly to UK Aug Sept but maybe won’t get there :(

Social media is causing a frenzy. There is so much misinformation being posted. Media on TV is doing a good job passing on the correct info. People need to pull together and take responsibility for their families and help neighbours. 

More information and less opinion. Stop politicising the events. No PM in history has had to deal with this magnitude of disaster for almost a year. Pull your heads in and work together Labor and Libs! 

I may commence a thread on messages from the experts. NSW Health, WHO and state health bodies for a start. I am sure we can use our platform. Healthcare professionals have a responsibility to help share govt health info (not opinion but fact). Any healthcare professionals can message me on personal message if you have anything to add. 

I will be watching for any info that is not correct and deleting it without hesitation. 

Keep your heads up fellas and gals. We are Australians and will get through this. 

• Like 3

Fellow raiders, 

The reason for this post is simply due to the magnitude of this situation. We will ALL have to deal with this crisis either directly or indirectly for an unknown period of time. 
It is not to single out anyone for undue comments or someone trying to make light of the situation. I’m sure we all have a good joke or comment. (I know I do) Although, Let’s save them for 6 months time when we can all look back and laugh! 
But reality right now is that people are sick, people are finding it hard to cope with bills, food, employment as well as the general struggles of life. 
So let this time be a reminder to ourselves, be kind to each other, embrace your family and friends, don’t be selfish, sharing is caring and the fact that there is always someone worse off than you! 

From a personal level....... I’m a baker at Woolworths. Today I watched 300-400 elderly and disabled people come through our doors in a frantic state. So me and my fellow baker went down to the front door to welcome them. Why??? Because they are the vulnerable, we are a familiar face to them and that made the mood remain calm and welcoming. 

As we are a strong community here, let’s also be strong for the community around us. 
Keep fishing when you can, keep sharing your knowledge on this site and remember that this is our happy place! 

Kind regards 

scratchie!!! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Hi All,

My wife bought a large freezer about one year ago.

Well what is it for.

To put your Fish Bait in ???

Now I am glad she did. No panick. Just bought a few more steaks for the Barby.

Cheers.

On 3/17/2020 at 12:11 PM, Scratchie said:

Fellow raiders, 

The reason for this post is simply due to the magnitude of this situation. We will ALL have to deal with this crisis either directly or indirectly for an unknown period of time. 
It is not to single out anyone for undue comments or someone trying to make light of the situation. I’m sure we all have a good joke or comment. (I know I do) Although, Let’s save them for 6 months time when we can all look back and laugh! 
But reality right now is that people are sick, people are finding it hard to cope with bills, food, employment as well as the general struggles of life. 
So let this time be a reminder to ourselves, be kind to each other, embrace your family and friends, don’t be selfish, sharing is caring and the fact that there is always someone worse off than you! 

From a personal level....... I’m a baker at Woolworths. Today I watched 300-400 elderly and disabled people come through our doors in a frantic state. So me and my fellow baker went down to the front door to welcome them. Why??? Because they are the vulnerable, we are a familiar face to them and that made the mood remain calm and welcoming. 

As we are a strong community here, let’s also be strong for the community around us. 
Keep fishing when you can, keep sharing your knowledge on this site and remember that this is our happy place! 

Kind regards 

scratchie!!! 

That's a nice touch Jeff.

You set a great example.

Cheers

Jim

• Thanks 1

I went fishing today & stayed at least 30 metres from other boats.

Would prefer it to be more but hey when your rod starts bending all of a sudden everyone starts to get closer, that was until I yelled out I HAVE CORONA VIRUS and am in isolation.

Its a great way to get people not getting to close to your fishing hot spot 😜