Gazebo (not fishing related)

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Had a crack at building a gazebo over the weekend. I’m a white collar worker and definitely no carpenter. Built it after watching a kiwi YouTube video.
Believe it or not the entire roof structure fitted on my roof racks! It was a nervous drive home from Bunnings.

23D4E3AE-1B6D-45CA-86DB-703BF526AB72.jpeg

0A848E39-AE6B-4FAA-8445-D07004016BD1.jpeg

86CEEDFD-100F-48E3-907C-58093B4F8749.jpeg

34D59406-F92C-424C-9D2F-D1CAC47CB217.jpeg

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks Bolts. It’s over engineered a bit touch on treated pine wood she’ll stay upright. 1000mm trenches with 25kg of concrete in each for the posts (which were sealed with bitumen paint). Beams attached with 8 x 120mm m12 bolts. Each rafter attached with 4 galvanised brackets secured with 60mm gal screws plus additional 50mm gal nails. Battens secured with 100mm gal screws and polycarbonate roof secured with over 100 x 80mm coach screws. The timber itself is engineered timber for extra strength.

If a cyclone hits I expect the house might be gone but the gazebo won’t!

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Looks good mate, you've done well and that's coming from a guy who was a builder for over 30 years.

She won't be going anywhere soon.

Hard to tell from the pics but is it oiled, or do you plan to paint it?

Wow thanks GH that’s such a compliment- means a lot. Boy it’s fun construction, but at 38 the body was pretty stiff and sore the next few days - I think it’s a young mans game?

I wanted to paint it white but the boss said she wanted natural colour so I stained it using a water based product called ultra deck. I’ve only done one coat so far and haven’t had the time yet to sand it. Here is what it looked like unstained.

ED45EBBF-BDCF-4F44-897A-5472F8F78F42.jpeg

24 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Wow thanks GH that’s such a compliment- means a lot. Boy it’s fun construction, but at 38 the body was pretty stiff and sore the next few days - I think it’s a young mans game?

I wanted to paint it white but the boss said she wanted natural colour so I stained it using a water based product called ultra deck. I’ve only done one coat so far and haven’t had the time yet to sand it. Here is what it looked like unstained.

ED45EBBF-BDCF-4F44-897A-5472F8F78F42.jpeg

Try doing it at 58, the fun factor wears off pretty quick haha.

The trick with a clear oil finish is to give it a coat every 8 months or so, depending on how much sun it gets. Keeps it looking nice and stops those ugly cracks appearing. Personally, if the first coat has soaked right in, I wouldn't bother sanding it, but that's totally up to you.

Looks good, great job on the super structure Luke, pretty damn good for a pen pusher 😆 haha or is that a computer person. I can see why you were nervous coming back from Bunnings  that’s quite a load 

10 hours ago, Bolts1 said:

LOL sounds like that should do it... an alfresco bomb shelter :)

Or a cyclone shelter for the boat

Guest Guest123456789
41 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Looks good, great job on the super structure Luke, pretty damn good for a pen pusher 😆 haha or is that a computer person. I can see why you were nervous coming back from Bunnings  that’s quite a load 

Or a cyclone shelter for the boat

Thanks Dieter. Getting 5 polycarbonate roof panels home was worse. I had to use an oky strap to tie the front of the panels down just above the bonnet lashed through the driver and passenger windows. Flimsy bloody things fly up at speed. 80% of my view was obscured and I had to enter from the back doors. Lucky it was 9pm on a Thursday night.

A good way to secure a flimsy load like that for future projects is to get a couple of similar length planks & secure them to the roof racks slightly wider than the sheets & far enough forward so that the sheets don’t flex at the front then secure the sheets to the planks & racks, if at a later date you decide to put a gutter on the gazebo use the same principle with a bit of 4 by 2 timber or maybe a length of 90 mm pipe which could  also be used for the down pipe 

Edited by 61 crusher
Spelling