Fishing destination advice

crowax

Hello! My name is Olof and I´m a guy from Sweden that likes to fish a lot. I´ve just started to look for a trip abroad early 2022. Australia and New Zealand both looks great and I´ve been to neither before. I´ve looked at Swansea/Lake Macquarie in NSW so far.  I´m looking for a destination that is reachable with plane/train/bus. And the fishing should be fairly accessible from hotel/airnbnb. I´m looking to rent a bike or simiilar to reach fishing spots. In Sweden I like to do LRF a lot which is light rock fishing, a much ligher version of your rockfishing. I also do a lot of freshwater lure fishing for pike and perch. My goal is to find somewhere to LRF/rock fish/street fish. I might rent boat/kayak a few days a as well. I wouldn´t mind catching a bunch of species and target a few bigger ones.  I will probably be away for 3 weeks in February 

If anyone got any suggestions or advice I´d be very thankful.

Regards

Olof

Hi Olof, Welcome to the site.

Lake mac is a great fishing location but if you are looking for a mixture of rocks and estuary fishing I would look slightly further North at Port Stephens. It has a lot more options for rock fishing both at the heads and further south around Fingal and Boat Harbour. Still plenty of options for accommodation within walking distance of great fishing spots   

Bolts

• Like 1

Keep in touch onsite  and when it gets closer to your trip im sure some of our raiders will help out   i personally live near lake mac and go to port stephens when i can  il put my hand up now and say all being well il take you for a fish in the boat  i also have two yaks  amd we can hit some freshwater   lookin forward to you putting up reports from your home

• Like 3

Thanks Rick! Yeah I know im out early but time flies and I really like the planning part of the trip. 🙂 Thanks for the offer! Really friendly, appreciate it! How is February for fishing? So it´s ok that I post fishing reports on this site even if I´m based in Sweden?

• 1 year later...

If you are interesting in catching barramundi in the freshwater, you might look at Lake Monduran in Queensland (northwest of Bundaberg), where you can stay in a cabin, hire a boat and fish the most promising parts of the lake. The barra aren't always easy to catch, but there are some big ones hiding in there, and they'll be quite active in February (often the warmest month in our summer).

Or, if you'd like to have a go at fishing for Spanish mackerel and assorted reef species (coral trout, red empror, hussar, etc., Truansea Charters out of Burnett Heads (just east of Bundaberg) do full-day trips that are good fun - it all depends on having calm weather, of course, which is never guaranteed.

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 6:22 AM, crowax said:

Hello! My name is Olof and I´m a guy from Sweden that likes to fish a lot. I´ve just started to look for a trip abroad early 2022. Australia and New Zealand both looks great and I´ve been to neither before. I´ve looked at Swansea/Lake Macquarie in NSW so far.  I´m looking for a destination that is reachable with plane/train/bus. And the fishing should be fairly accessible from hotel/airnbnb. I´m looking to rent a bike or simiilar to reach fishing spots. In Sweden I like to do LRF a lot which is light rock fishing, a much ligher version of your rockfishing. I also do a lot of freshwater lure fishing for pike and perch. My goal is to find somewhere to LRF/rock fish/street fish. I might rent boat/kayak a few days a as well. I wouldn´t mind catching a bunch of species and target a few bigger ones.  I will probably be away for 3 weeks in February 

If anyone got any suggestions or advice I´d be very thankful.

Regards

Olof

Hey Olof, welcome aboard mate, you’ll find many of the Raiders are very generous with their time (like Rickmarlin). If you’re in Sydney (I’m out of Richmond 60ks from city), I’m also happy to take you out on my boat, to target Kingies and or Bass. Keep in touch and yes February is a great time for fishing, but can be very hot and humid, so put in a hat (and a spare).

cheers Bob

• Like 1