Coffs Harbour

sam bros

Hey guys

Gonna go up to coffs for a few days and gonna take the boat up as well.

Just wondering if the Spanish mackerel are still around this time of year. I don't want to go too far offshore, don't think I'd feel comfortable going to south solitary island. But I'd probably go to split solitary and try for snapper.

So my question is can I target Spanish mackerel not to far offshore and how is the reefs around split solitary?

Cheers guys

Usually by now the Spanish and spotted mackerel would be going off, but this year all the rain has had an impact on them. They seem to be few and far between. As the water clears they should start to come on or at least I hope so, my plan is to go up late April early May.

Try ringing Motackle at Coffs and they can tell you what things are like at the moment.

Cheers

Rob

16 hours ago, blaxland said:

Not trying to hijacckk this thread but had an overseas holiday booked in may. Is it worthwhile towing the boat up there then Sydney based,

Maccks should still be around but no guarantee, usually pretty good time of year for fishing in general 

• Like 1

Sam you dont have to travel far for macks at Coffs- my son caught a 22 kg spannie off the rocks at Muttonbird Island when he was 16 -still bigger than any spannie ive caught. There are a stack of bait grounds you can start at the bommie just off Muttonbird, the reefs of the front -called Bullocky will hold bait as will the "trag ground"" and as Rick stated Sawtell Shoals- the biggest issue you can face is that the bait can be very skittish if the spotties are around but its a good problem to have. MArk bait on your sounder and fish the baits around the bait schools- the Bullocky reefs start about 3 ks straight off the harbour.

On 3/21/2020 at 1:01 PM, dirvin21 said:

Maccks should still be around but no guarantee, usually pretty good time of year for fishing in general 

Thanks mate but as you know the situation has deteriorated so its wait and see