KNOTS

marks1984

8 hours ago, marks1984 said:

morning all,

I hope this does not become a massive debate but which is a better knot for passing through the rod guides the FG Knot or an Albright Knot?

thanks in advance

FG hands down. Albright has a bend in leader so will clunk through guides.

cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lastworm said:

I find double uni the smallest and strongest. Not sure why nobody uses it anymore? Easy to tie out on the water, way shorter than the FG and probably thinner too.

I used the double uni for years as it was the one recommended with the Berkley Fireline when I first started out on braid. I then found out that doubling the braid over (the double double uni) made the knot stronger. I tested them both against a mates slim beauty and the normal double uni lost but the double double uni was strongest. My reason for not switching to the FG was I couldn't find a method to tie that I was happy with (rod in holder, keeping tension on the line, standing on one leg, on a Monday...) and the line wastage. Then one of the Raiders posted a method which could be done between the index finger and the thumb with minimal wastage - it was posted again recently. I was now happy to use it as the line wastage was only a little more than the double double uni and almost as quick to tie.

I'll disagree with you on the thinner comment. I think it is almost physically impossible to be slimmer than the FG knot. All joiner knots I can think of require a doubling back of at least one of the lines somewhere. Lets take a 15lb braid (say 0.18mm diameter) and 30lb mono leader (say 0.55mm). The design of the uni at the mono part of the knot requires a loop and the mono to pass through the loop with the braid also passing through this - essentially at its thickest point you have 3x mono (3 x 0.55mm = 1.65mm) plus 1x braid (1x 0.18mm) for a total diameter of 1.83mm. For the FG the mono is straight through so there is 0.55mm diameter but the braid has alternate wraps around the mono so it is a single thickness on one side but has a double layer on the other where the two parts cross over and where finishing whips begin. Theoretical diameter becomes 0.55mm + 3x 0.18mm = 1.09mm which is way less than the 1.83mm diameter double uni in equivalent line ratings.

At this time of night I don't feel like sketching it up and scanning it in but feel free to substitute your own line diameters and then do the maths.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, lastworm said:

I find double uni the smallest and strongest. Not sure why nobody uses it anymore? Easy to tie out on the water, way shorter than the FG and probably thinner too.

Casting metal lures from the beach or rocks, the double uni will be lucky to last 5 casts before it fails, such is the speed that bulky knot clunks through the guides, it just bashes itself to death.

Sure, you can fish a shorter leader where the knot sits outside of the tip, but why, when you can tie a slim beauty or FG and use a leader as long as you like.

In lighter, estuary style lurecasting, I'll tie an FG in leaders as light as 4lb, not for its slim diameter but for its strength.

Sorry lastworm, but there's no way that the double is stronger than the FG. A well tied FG is one of the only knots I know where the line will break before the knot will fail.

• Like 1

The only time I use a double uni is when connecting backing line to the braid on the spool.

Have to agree with many others, the FG is amazing for its strenght & it's slimness.

I've never had a knot failure either.

I've had the leader or the actual braid break never the knot.

• Like 1

I suppose you have to use what works for you and your scenario. That’s why we have so many knots to choose from, there’s not one knot for all situations.

I’m only fishing 10lb and find the double uni is perfect for what I do. I also can’t seem to get the FG to work on such light line.

never had an issue with strength, tangling or getting caught in guides, if it aint broke...

Edited by lastworm
  • Like 1

Double Uni is a good enough knot when the FG can be difficult to tie, a lot of people tend to have trouble tying a double uni on the thinner diameter lines (such as <PE1 or <10lb line rating), when you're casting <10lb line I suppose it doesn't really matter having the strongest knot as line will probably break before knot fails.

Another thing to note, especially if you're casting and the joiner knot runs though your guides, is that with the double uni knot is just rapid bulk knot from lines compared to the FG where is gradually makes its way to its thickest point and then back down again, so the double uni smashes the guides (for example driving up a gutter vs driving up the driveway) and eventually breaks (depending how hard you cast). If your dropping line into water probably doesn't matter too much.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, T_Bert83 said:

A few people have said they have issues when it comes to an FG knot and light line.

Out of interest what issues do people have when it comes to light line and the FG knot?

I do the same as heavy line but when you do the last step and pull the the main ends of leader and braid to cinch the knot, just don't pull too hard or you snap the leader.

I find the braid in the knot changes appearance when locked down. It sort of turns translucent. Anyone else seen this??

Richard

• Like 1

As @lastworm said I’ve also had issues with fg and light leader and braid (6-10lb) I’m assuming the leader is so thin it doesn’t have enough give to bite in, ive had a couple break the leader at the top of the knot. I use the Albright knot for lighter lines, trout and bream etc, and only use a 500mm or so leader so the knot passing through the guides isn’t an issue 

• Like 1

@kingie chaser more wraps is the only change I make for lighter line as well and never had a FG knot fail (down to 4lb). That's why I was interested in what issues people had.

@wcurrall cheers mate I've had them break when clinching a FG knot while tying but never in a fishing situation. 

@nutsaboutfishing as the knot tightens you will see it change colour, usually a good guide to whether the whole knot has clinched properly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T_Bert83 said:

A few people have said they have issues when it comes to an FG knot and light line.

Out of interest what issues do people have when it comes to light line and the FG knot?

I have no issues tying an FG in ultra light leader. You just need more wraps and more tension. It also helps to pull the knot tight, to get the braid to really bite into the leader before trimming the leader tag.

• Like 2