Thank you Waza

DerekD

Hi fellow Fishraiders.

My first introduction to @wazatherfisherman was when he complimented me on one of my advice posts on kingfish. When you see the quality of the articles he writes it was high praise indeed.

When @big Neilwanted to try some Sydney fishing I spent some time talking to Waza to see what could be organised. At the get together I got to meet Waza, @frankS@savit and a few others. Since then I have called Waza on a weekly basis about fishing as he can’t get out as much as he would like and I can at least share my weekly fishing experiences with him. His breadth and depth of knowledge is amazing and I just enjoy talking to him.

A few months ago he reached out to me. His computer was slower to get started than a hibernating tortoise and was on its last legs. I know enough about computers to get by so I did some quick research and sent him some relevant information so he could get up to speed. A quick trip with Waza to a store recommended by a mate and he had a brand new laptop with accessories. Took a few minutes to set it up for him, transfer his data, download a few suitable pieces of software and now he loves it.

Several weeks later and I was reaching out for his help. My mother bought me a generation 1 Raider Snapper 762 as a birthday present over a decade ago and one of the bigger runners went. No, it is not one of those stories - my mum is still well and with us but that rod has sentimental value to me for a number of reasons and I don’t want to retire it yet. I could have taken it to a shop but I was concerned that because it is a business for them they would turn it around as quickly as possible with parts that were not quite right. The thread colour on the Raider series rods looks to be their own line and was going to be a pain to colour match. Amongst his many talents Waza is a rod builder and I knew that he could and would take the time to make it look as close as possible to the original design. I was pretty sure that it wouldn’t be spot on but if it needed a second glance to realise it was a little different then that was enough for me. I also reached out to Ian Miller the designer of this range of rods and he was kind enough to respond to my query on binding thread colour.

Earlier this week I picked my Raider Snapper and another rod with a damaged runner that he was kind enough to fix. Took it for a fish this afternoon and it still puts a smile on my face. Thank you Waza for the care and time you took to repair them for me. You have earned that Gold Member badge you received recently many times over in my eyes.

Sincerely,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 10

Thanks for the kind words Derek, I hope you catch a lot more fish on that rod, happy to do the binding, these graphite rods are a worry to get the guides off without scratching as a lot of the big companies just whack epoxy straight on and it's like gluing the guides to the blank. 

A couple of coats of thread sealer like we did makes colour fast and in the event of getting a guide off again, well, it's just heaps easier! Binding similar colours over each other is more of a challenge for me these days as the eyes all of a sudden "ain't what they used to be"

Loving the new computer also!

Regards Waza

• Like 1

Well done Waza on the GOLD MEMBER award. I've only met you a couple of times but I know the depth of your knowledge and dedication to fishing is infinite. You are always keen to help somebody out with advice or help of a practical nature. Cheers mate, keep doing what you do best, bn

• Like 1

Good on you Waza, I’m glad to have met you at the raider get together & have enjoyed reading all the fishing based knowledge of your experiences in & around Sydney & further afield as well as your knowledge of all things related to the the sport

Well deserved 👍😎

• Like 1

Just wanted to say to everybody- thanks for all the kind words, I enjoy passing on the knowledge, otherwise it would be simply "lost". The greatest thing about our sport is that it is an ever expanding science, nothing is totally "set in concrete" about it and talking/meeting/communicating with other like-minds is the best way to learn anything.

ALL the people I've met on Fishraider are really nice, friendly and definitely make up a "family" of our own. There is nowhere else like this that I've ever heard of and continually tell anyone I see that likes/is fishing to join up. The support offered through here is just fantastic and we are all continually learning from each other. Nobody knows everything about fishing, even the best tactics and planning are often not enough, but networking with others gives "real time" knowledge that you just can't get anywhere else. 

Sometimes it takes years to learn things that someone on here can tell you in a minute or two. Never be afraid to ask questions- that's how we all learn.

Long live Fishraider and thanks to the owners, moderators and members, those who ask and those who answer. 

I genuinely am humbled to receive the acknowledgement and Gold Member status as I contribute simply because of my passion for fishing and have been lucky enough to have been involved all my life.

Fondest Regards to all

Waza

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5