New to me boat engine quandry

Shearwater

Last week I went interstate and bought a 6m HUNTSMAN vessel and trailer that I am very happy with, at a good price - however - I was advised that the Yamaha 150hp 6 cylinder Saltwater series (2002 I think) is a good motor - but thirsty. The vessel weighs 2ton.

I took it out for the first time and trolled for three hours then about 20 mins at 18 knots. All went well - I refilled the tank to find that I had used 66litres.

So, can some of you guys more in the know than me please comment on -

1. If I change engines - not wanting to spend more than $8-10K would i be better off going to an Optimax that I hear will save 40% on fuel or something else?

Cheers to all who reply.

Shearwater vessel.jpg

25 minutes ago, Bryant fish said:

If all you are worried about is fuel use $8-10000 would take forever to recoup

Could also be a matter of range here as well.

Welcome aboard @Shearwater :thumbup:

Nice looking boat for an older model, looks well looked after from the pictures on the ad.

Id be looking at some of those fuel calculators to give you an idea but of course figures will vary according to things like vessel weight & hull design.

2 tonnes, is that fully loaded of just dry weight?

Anyway good luck with it.

Edited by kingie chaser

Balance out if spending 8000 on motor  or spending 8000 on fuel  how long would it take for you to go thru 5000 litres     sometimes you need to change your fishing styles    i dont troll lures very often as my 90hp sucks fuel at 8knots  i do however troll skip baits at 4kn  or livies at idle    running to m from spots my motor is good   a broughton island run for me   doesnt use more than 35 ltrs with lots of movin round    you need to work out  the balance sheet  on cost vs use       any of the two st motors will ne heavy usage on your hull   4st will be cheaper  but more expensive to buy    good luck with your decision    ps   nice rig

I had the yammie saltwater series in a 225 when I got my current boat. They are a very good motor but they are thirsty there is no getting away from that. On a standard days trolling lures i would use near around 180 litres. My boat weights about 2ton as well.

I sold it for $5k and got a secondhand honda 225 with 600hrs for $11,500. While rick is right about it taking a while to recoup that money i do somewhere between 180-200hrs a year on my motor so it isnt going to take me all that long when i use just over half the amount for a days fishing.

You also need to factor in oil costs on the yammie 

if the boat weighs 2 tonnes and you are pushing it with a 150-it aint going to matter which brand or model of motor you use- it probabaly barely gets on the plane and you are constantly sitting in the zone that uses max fuel all the time. Without knowing more about propping-max revs, speed-hole shot and a whole bunch more you aint going to solve any problems- so give us a bit more info .

• Like 1

I haven't done a rev/speed check yet - but the prop is a 17 inch left hand - I know it can do 37kn flat out which it did during the demo prior to purchase - but haven't done proper rev checks yet as I think the rev counter is playing up - 

my thoughts if I do upgrade is not only the fuel usage but the noise factor is important, though I am pleasantly surprised as I expected the Saltwater to be noisier than it is. Along with better fuel usage of course you get more nm out of the tank that also helps.

I estimate with the larger tank I am putting in that the fully loaded weight will be 2200kgs.

29 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

I haven't done a rev/speed check yet - but the prop is a 17 inch left hand - I know it can do 37kn flat out which it did during the demo prior to purchase - but haven't done proper rev checks yet as I think the rev counter is playing up - 

my thoughts if I do upgrade is not only the fuel usage but the noise factor is important, though I am pleasantly surprised as I expected the Saltwater to be noisier than it is. Along with better fuel usage of course you get more nm out of the tank that also helps.

I estimate with the larger tank I am putting in that the fully loaded weight will be 2200kgs.

Have a 175 optimax on our 6.5m plate alloy cuddy, fuel efficiency is surprisingly good, weighs in 2.1 ton, but if noise is a worrying factor I wouldn’t recommend an oil injected 2 stroke, they’re fairly bulletproof but also fairly noisy especially around 15-20 knots. But can do a full day (0530-1600) in and around Broughton and use 55-70 litres launching from tea gardens. Not sure on the exact L/hr

If you’re set on the 2 stroke also factor in the lower servicing costs and intervals, pretty much cancels out the extra cost of the oil

i contacted mercury regarding the optimax prior to purchasing the boat, they said a lot of pro cray fisherman down south use them exclusively due to their reliability. Would recommend calling the Melbourne branch they were very helpful

good luck 👍

Being an older hull - around 1980 - there are no ratings on the hull 

Iv'e just tonight become aware of a 200hp Optimax that has come available, a 2005, that I will ring about tomorrow I think - Iv'e just read a very good review comparing the 200hp range in 2009 https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/head-to-head-200hp-outboards1

in which the Optimax comes out very well - much to ponder!

And if I go that way and the Opti is quite noisy as I have gathered from responses here and in the fishingworld review - then I can close the rear door of the wheelhouse! Ah! gotta love a fully enclosed wheelhouse!

Edited by Shearwater

Too bad - this engine turned out to be a EFI engine not a DFI - so no advantage really over my current Yamaha - excepting the higher HP - so I'll keep looking

Anyone know any 175 or 200HP Optis available or well priced 4 strokes?

11 hours ago, Shearwater said:

Being an older hull - around 1980 - there are no ratings on the hull 

Iv'e just tonight become aware of a 200hp Optimax that has come available, a 2005, that I will ring about tomorrow I think - Iv'e just read a very good review comparing the 200hp range in 2009 https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/head-to-head-200hp-outboards1

in which the Optimax comes out very well - much to ponder!

And if I go that way and the Opti is quite noisy as I have gathered from responses here and in the fishingworld review - then I can close the rear door of the wheelhouse! Ah! gotta love a fully enclosed wheelhouse!

That review was done in 2009 and on an optimax with 25 hours on it.  Probably better off googling optimax issues to find out what issues you might come across with an 11 year old optimax.  😎

Looks very clean for a 1973 hull, what's the steering wheel at the rear for? external steering?

Aso beware of the extra weight a 4stroke in older models has over the 2 strokes of similar years.

Edited by jeffb5.8

12 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Looks very clean for a 1973 hull, what's the steering wheel at the rear for? external steering?

Aso beware of the extra weight a 4stroke in older models has over the 2 strokes of similar years.

Hi there, just a query - how do you think it is a '73 hull - i'm not sure myself but would be good to relate to you perhaps if you do know the Huntsman's.

The cockpit steering is for trolling - just the wheel, no rev control - actually it is really good trolling from the rear

Your concerns noted on weights , cheers, the transom has the 150hp Saltwater and the aux Mercury 25hp on it now that would be approx 220-230 kgs now so should be ok for a 4stroke excepting perhaps a Honda that seem to be the heaviest of them all

Edited by Shearwater
adding more related info

1 hour ago, Shearwater said:

Hi there, just a query - how do you think it is a '73 hull - i'm not sure myself but would be good to relate to you perhaps if you do know the Huntsman's.

From the 4 Sale add listing

https://www.vicsail.com/used-boats/haines-huntsman-6m-1973-13-26000/

was looking to see if the hull had a Max HP or weight restriction.

8 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

From the 4 Sale add listing

https://www.vicsail.com/used-boats/haines-huntsman-6m-1973-13-26000/

was looking to see if the hull had a Max HP or weight restriction.

I applaud your discovery abilities! I didn't even know that ad/ads existed! Very thankfull I didn't pay anywhere near that price! As I said, i am very pleased with it - I have had quite a number of boats, a 48ft, a 32ft, a 42ft, a 20ft, a 13ft, another 13ft and now another 20ft! Apart from it having 5 different floor levels that I am rectifying now - I am a happy chappie!

Cheers, and thanks again, Martin

47 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

I applaud your discovery abilities! I didn't even know that ad/ads existed! 

On 3/23/2020 at 4:30 AM, kingie chaser said:

Nice looking boat for an older model, looks well looked after from the pictures on the ad.

From post #3

Suzuki 4 strokes are often for sale secondhand with around 600 hrs as this is often the point where fisheries replace their engines, in fact there's a 140 on gumtree now. Our rescue vessel is about to replace the 600hr 250 Suzuki's which like new. Many of the abalone fishermen swap their engines over after just a couple of years as tax deductions, these tend to be traded in for new engines so don't pop up privately to often.

8 hours ago, JonD said:

Suzuki 4 strokes are often for sale secondhand with around 600 hrs as this is often the point where fisheries replace their engines, in fact there's a 140 on gumtree now.

And the good thing about those is their service schedules would be well kept up being a government agency!

On 3/26/2020 at 11:07 PM, JonD said:

Suzuki 4 strokes are often for sale secondhand with around 600 hrs as this is often the point where fisheries replace their engines, in fact there's a 140 on gumtree now. Our rescue vessel is about to replace the 600hr 250 Suzuki's which like new. Many of the abalone fishermen swap their engines over after just a couple of years as tax deductions, these tend to be traded in for new engines so don't pop up privately to often.

Can you give me contact details on the 250 Suzi? I was following up a good 200hp Opti but that has fallen through and agree with others here that my vessel is a bit underpowered at 150hp. I rang my mechanic and asked if i was crazy to consider a 250ph on my hull as there was a Yammie available and he said that there would be no problems with a 250hp and he knows the hull - so I would be keen to follow up on the rescue vessel's engines.

• Like 1