New to me boat engine quandry

Shearwater

On 3/27/2020 at 7:36 AM, kingie chaser said:

And the good thing about those is their service schedules would be well kept up being a government agency!

yes, i agree - i'm looking out for a 200 - 250hp 

Edited by Shearwater
to bring the post back on topic

I have a 2013 ,250 hp 4.2 lt Yamaha digital control with just under 300 hrs I was considering changing to go to 300.

This is the lightest 250 4 stroke you can buy at 250 kg for extra long shaft and you only need 91 octane.

How much are you prepared to pay?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wrxhoon1 said:

I have a 2013 ,250 hp 4.2 lt Yamaha digital control with just under 300 hrs I was considering changing to go to 300.

This is the lightest 250 4 stroke you can buy at 250 kg for extra long shaft and you only need 91 octane.

How much are you prepared to pay?

please give me a call on 0413316691 so we can talk it over, cheers, Martin

• 4 weeks later...

After a lot of looking around and getting the run around from a few would be sellers I thought I would let you know what I have decided to do regarding engines - I'm purchasing a 250hp Optimax  - I was going to go with a Verado but it required so much change to my current setup it became a no brainer to go Optimax.

So, there we are, so, within a couple of weeks all should be good to go and hope to enjoy the Opti for a fair while from now!

Cheers, to all who replied, 

22 hours ago, Shearwater said:

So, there we are, so, within a couple of weeks all should be good to go and hope to enjoy the Opti for a fair while from now!

This will change the boat so much it will be like a new boat again, the extra 100hp will be a godsend when you need the power to get the hell out of dodge.

Love to read how much of a difference it makes in your opinion having driven the same boat with both motors.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Hi mate i had  same troble i have a 78 masrm half cabin 18 foot it is a heavy boat i put a 130 evinrude on it 98 model i got for 2k 500 hrs on it i changed the prop from a 17 three blade to a 17 4 blade a lot bettet on fuel 4 thousand revs im on the plane doing 42klm  it may work for you too  

• Like 2

On 4/27/2020 at 8:46 PM, kingie chaser said:

So buying new??

I have no idea between the models, fuel economies, ratings etc but I just hope you get out & enjoy it :thumbup:

Not new, a 2012 Opti so should do the job - about 40% fuel savings compared to the Yammie now and more power

• 1 month later...

Well, the Opti 250hp has been installed and I have had one decent run in the Coorong to get used to it. Certainly gets on the plane a lot quicker and the noise is less than the old Yammie 150hp. Currently it's running a 15x15 prop and is getting just over the 6000 rev mark  - so I am trialing a 15x17 next week that will drop it down a bit - overall, I am pleased with the performance.

When I bought this vessel there were 5 different floor levels - with various fresh water and fuel tanks etc - So, I have just finished changing all that and now have one level that really is terrific!

Now I just need to learn how to set the Smart Gauges to how I want them !

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...