Longie Kings and Bonnies - 22 Mar 2020

dlvbw

Great conditions yesterday to take the boat on its maiden voyage up to Longie with @REELCRAZY. Headed out at first light looking for a few squid. The usual spot wasn't firing but luckily the livey spot had the usual schools of yakkas (and boats!). We filled the tank and was heading to longie by 9am. Thanks to kind seas we made quick time to Longie and had livies under the boat by around 930. Heaps of bait and lots of surface action (bonnies) on arrival and hence we started casting metals and bubble floated plastics at the bonnies whilst the livies soaked. Soon enough the livies went off and we had landed a rat and lost a much bigger specimen, mainly due to giving it way too much leeway on the drag (lesson learned). Fishing in 10-13m so not a lot of room to play. Nailed the next fish at 85cm and landed a couple of nice bonnies, Lost another king on an unmanned rod whilst we were battling a good king (which Ev gave serious grief to on his Saragosa) and I was landing a solid bonnie on 10lb. Didnt quite have time to get the bonnie in the rod holder and pick up the king. The bite went quietfor about 45 and then it all came around again. Bonnies and kings rampaging for about 15 mins. 

All up took two kings home at approx 85 cms and 3 nice bonnies. Lost 3 larger specimens to the reef (due to amateur hour and just pulling power). Put back a few rats. Heaps of yakkas in the burley trail the whole morning. Packed up at 1230 after a memorable session in glorious conditions.

The ramp coming in was PACKED with boats coming in and also launching. Thankfully everyone was being respectful and helping out those who might have needed it. I had a good chat to a few guys whilst waiting and I think we were all just happy to be out on such a great day. A nice end to the day. 

Cheers

Dunc

EvansKingie - 22Mar2020.jpg

• Like 16
  • Confused 1

Nice report dlvbw, was heading out tomorrow after your great report, but working now 😞 (not sure if work is closing down in a few days, so grab it whilst I can). Very Nice Kingies @REELCRAZY has his customary exuberant grin.

brilliant work you two.