78 and 77cm fat Kings with video!

Botany Bay Fishing

Hey guys we headed out to make the most of the great weather on Saturday and Sunday. On saturday our plan was to fish the high tide for an hour or so then head over to towra to see if there were any crabs about. Unfortunately there were no crabs but the kings were out to play only taking live squid. Ended the day with 1 hookup and one bust off catching 1 fat king at 78cm.

Sunday was pretty much the same, except we wanted to solely target kings for the high tide. We had difficulties catching the live squid only managing two, and we had 1 hookup and 1 bust off again!! We left with another kingfish this time going 77cm but much much fatter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhL-71cpP0&t=138s

Edited by Botany Bay Fishing
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice video & report.

I don't think I am goin to waste my time getting yakka's any more.

Seems like all they really want to take is squid!

Ahh mate seriously theres been days where we have gone and caught 5-6 live squid and went to target kings all day only to leave and come home with 5-6 squid for a feed🤣

And other times the kings wont touch whole live squid but will take squid strips!

And other days they will hit the lures!

they are so picky!!!

Enjoy watching your Vids BBF....

out of curiosity how long do you guys stay in the on spot... for example on that day how long were u there for? you obviously burley up as well do you?? any other things you caught on the day??

i always get frustrated after 30 minutes of nothing happening and move on from my spots, i guess its my inexperience, and patience is an important part of fishing i would say 

2 hours ago, M1100S said:

Enjoy watching your Vids BBF....

out of curiosity how long do you guys stay in the on spot... for example on that day how long were u there for? you obviously burley up as well do you?? any other things you caught on the day??

i always get frustrated after 30 minutes of nothing happening and move on from my spots, i guess its my inexperience, and patience is an important part of fishing i would say 

Thanks for the support man 🙂 

Thats a tough one mate. It is a mixture of patience and confidence if your confident your in the right spot at the right time of day with the right bait and your confident the fish will come around then stay.

Usually though as a rule of thumb 45 minutes - 1hr just to give the spot a chance.If we are anchored at a spot that we know produces and for whatever reason theres nothing happening and the sounder isnt lighting up and the burley isnt bringing them in then definitely 45 -60 minutes till we move

Edited by Botany Bay Fishing

On 3/23/2020 at 9:39 PM, Botany Bay Fishing said:

Hey guys we headed out to make the most of the great weather on Saturday and Sunday. On saturday our plan was to fish the high tide for an hour or so then head over to towra to see if there were any crabs about. Unfortunately there were no crabs but the kings were out to play only taking live squid. Ended the day with 1 hookup and one bust off catching 1 fat king at 78cm.

Sunday was pretty much the same, except we wanted to solely target kings for the high tide. We had difficulties catching the live squid only managing two, and we had 1 hookup and 1 bust off again!! We left with another kingfish this time going 77cm but much much fatter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhL-71cpP0&t=138s

Nice fish guys.. They have been so fussy.. I was fishing there on Wednesday and had similar results. Marking alot of kings but they were almost all holding near the bottom. Downrigged for an hour without a touch on fresh squid, so decided to spot lock and fish straight up and down on 30lb gear ended catxhing 5 of them, suprising all legal fish bar one.  Also lost a good one but i think mr bullshark is lurking around

Edited by quintrex52
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, quintrex52 said:

Nice fish guys.. They have been so fussy.. I was fishing there on Wednesday and had similar results. Marking alot of kings but they were almost all holding near the bottom. Downrigged for an hour without a touch on fresh squid, so decided to spot lock and fish straight up and down on 30lb gear ended catxhing 5 of them, suprising all legal fish bar one.  Also lost a good one but i think mr bullshark is lurking around

yeah they were super fussy on the day i was fishing near bottom where the fish on the sounder were holding and wasnt getting anything. Wound up above mid water column and the moment i did that you could see on the sounder the kingies coming up and attacking the squid!!

Then a few moments later was the hookup