What is this and can you use it for bait?

SaltyGreek

29 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

That's what we call a nipper. Found under rocks in muddy areas and in muddy ribbon weed beds.

Dynamite bait and I've done way better on them than yabbies. Flathead in particular go crackers over them.

Is it really a nipper? If it is it’s a very dark one. The ones I catch are Usually much much lighter. Maybe it’s because this one was caught in mud and the others I’ve caught in sand. But it had more of a prawn like body.

34 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Dynamite bait and I've done way better on them than yabbies. Flathead in particular go crackers over them.

I’ve had lots of success on nippers. Caught my pb whiting at 40cm on a nipper and I’ve also caught some nice flathead on them. Great bait 

5 minutes ago, SaltyGreek said:

Is it really a nipper? If it is it’s a very dark one. The ones I catch are Usually much much lighter. Maybe it’s because this one was caught in mud and the others I’ve caught in sand. But it had more of a prawn like body.

It is a green nipper. Tend to live more in muddier bottoms than pink nippers, though some can be found in normal sandy areas. Has a harder body than the pink nippers.

The way I caught them was to puddle in the sand. That is, gently move your feet in a sandy or slightly muddy area, with only a small amount of water - low tide - and watch the green nippers swim about, then pick them up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1