Rain Water in the Boat

antonywardle

While I don't let my boat fill with rain water (Its either garaged or I have a water proof cover), I do fill the bilge on occasion with fresh water and then use the bilge pump to make sure its running and clear.

No point finding out it doesn't work or is blocked when you are on the water.

2 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

Why would you want to - bilge pumps are designed to work in saltwater?

That's a strange thing to say. Boats that are run on freshwater dams, lakes etc, don't require bilge pumps? I have never seen a bilge pump which states "only to be used in saltwater".  Bilges collect saltwater, freshwater, fuel, oil etc and the bilge pump will pump it out if switched on.  I could be proven wrong, but........

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Killer said:

That's a strange thing to say. Boats that are run on freshwater dams, lakes etc, don't require bilge pumps? I have never seen a bilge pump which states "only to be used in saltwater".  Bilges collect saltwater, freshwater, fuel, oil etc and the bilge pump will pump it out if switched on.  I could be proven wrong, but........

I think you misunderstood. If bilge pumps run in saltwater without problems then of course they will run in freshwater. I  thought he wanted to rinse the saltwater out of the pump by running it in freshwater. My point also was that it might not be a good idea to close the bungs and let your boat fill up with rainwater. Fiberglass boats may have wooden stringers and transoms  and if freshwater gets into the wood it will cause dry rot. Also if you fill it up with freshwater it might get into compartments and not drain out. It's also conceivable that it might cause corrosion problems in aluminium boats.

Regardless of the details motors should be run periodically.

I run the winch motor on my 4x4 every 4 to 6 weeks even if I am not using it as intended & it the boat is in storage for say 6 moths then I start it with the muffs a couple of times to keep everything lubed.

The worst thing for any motor, electric or otherwise is going to long between uses.

• Like 2

wow, didn't mean to cause any controversy

Yes, its just to run the bilge pump in fresh water. No I don't think that I'll cause any more damage than I get when I am out boating, and no I don't think it will cause any corrosion (it is alloy).

I take your point about FG boats rotting their stringers with fresh water, but water wouldn't normally get in there as they are supposed to be water tight.

No I'm not filling the boat to the gunwales. That would be:

Stupid

very heavy

cheers  

5 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

wow, didn't mean to cause any controversy

Yes, its just to run the bilge pump in fresh water. No I don't think that I'll cause any more damage than I get when I am out boating, and no I don't think it will cause any corrosion (it is alloy).

I take your point about FG boats rotting their stringers with fresh water, but water wouldn't normally get in there as they are supposed to be water tight.

No I'm not filling the boat to the gunwales. That would be:

Stupid

very heavy

cheers  

Well they are supposed to be sealed, Ie stringers and wood transoms, along with compartments. But if it was as simple as that no boat would ever have rot or get waterlogged compartments, and as we know they often do.. Also aluminium can corrode if it is in contact with water for a long time.

PS: leaving the bungs in means a lack of control - eg what if you get a downpour overnight?

what happens if you die of corona in the mean time before the stringers rot  your fiberglass  or your ali plate boat corrodes from a few sinkers mate flushing your bilge with fresh is all good .just go boating and enjoy it why you can life is to short so go catch some fish guys cheers dunc333

• Like 3

On 3/26/2020 at 6:25 PM, dunc333 said:

what happens if you die of corona in the mean time before the stringers rot  your fiberglass  or your ali plate boat corrodes from a few sinkers mate flushing your bilge with fresh is all good .just go boating and enjoy it why you can life is to short so go catch some fish guys cheers dunc333

Yes very droll. Have you ever had a boat with dry rot in the stringers or transom? Hardly 'all good' . Also I don't see what the trouble is in leaving the bungs out and having the bow tilted up. It's just good practice which may save a lot of grief in the long run. 

every couple of trips i leave the bungs in while cleaning , the underfloor fills up with freshwater and i give the bilge pumps a good flush through with a couple of hundred liters of fresh soapy water-however i do not leave the bungs in while the boats in the driveway

• Like 1

Sorry if I have caused anyone any confusion

I'm not abdicating leaving the bungs in all the time. Every now and then, when its bucketing down, I like to go out in it, get wet, and put the bungs in and then pump it out from my bilge pump, before I open the bungs again. Logically to me, it seems like a good idea. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but it makes me happy that I've found a use for free water that was going to waste, even if it makes no difference. It sounds like I'm the only one that does it.

When its really wet, I get the kids outside with me, and I wash the cars too. Not the best finish but a lot of fun. When ever there is an electrical storm, I go outside and watch that too, and I like hearing my water tanks fill up. Its just part of my genetic make up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dunc333 said:

also anthony knows his own boat mate and knows where his  the bilge pump is located kingfish .and if a ali boat a fresh water flush can only do good not harm ali but flush salt

He was talking generally and not just about his boat so I raised a valid point. There was a case on this site a few years ago of a Tournament brand boat which became waterlogged due to a design flaw and the previous owner being overzealous in hosing it down. Also you cant assume that the stringers and transom are sealed properly . It's just good practice to not allow freshwater to collect in the boat.

I went fishing today. Everyone at the ramp was filling up their boat with water and then running pump.

It was bucketing down.  One guy even stopped on the ramp and open the bungs. water was pouring out.

I got a wave from the police in their boat, and came back with a couple of flatties.

• Haha 1

a guy on the radio 30mins ago said he was pulled over today by maritime and told to go home as fishing from a boat is banned he was told and given a warning .its a very grey area at the moment and now the cops give you a wave and the radio saying you can fish off the shore im totally confused .they need to make it very clear as to many mixed messages . also I know mrs Swordfisherman is a nurse and told  everyone to stay home and i accept her call .though the nsw gov messeges are confusing as i said above .overnight golf was banned and now ok today to play cheers dunc333

Edited by dunc333
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dunc333 said:

a guy on the radio 30mins ago said he was pulled over today by maritime and told to go home as fishing from a boat is banned he was told and given a warning .its a very grey area at the moment and now the cops give you a wave and the radio saying you can fish off the shore im totally confused .they need to make it very clear as to many mixed messages . also I know mrs Swordfisherman is a nurse and told  everyone to stay home and i accept her call .though the nsw gov messeges are confusing as i said above .overnight golf was banned and now ok today to play cheers dunc333

Thanks @dunc333 I am only conveying the official government information. 
I agree that it is very confusing information out there.
Facebook and some journalists have a lot to answer for by posting incorrect info then retracting it and posting something else. 

I will post a link in Site News and Info when official info is available. 

Well, I got an opinion from a lawyer about it, and as long as you keep your distancing then there doesn't seem to be an issue. I didn't need to get fuel and I didn't need to get any bait, nor did I interact with anyone at the ramp. That police boat was a big thing. Anyone know what it is?