Does fishing allow during Sydney lockdown

vince1312

I noticed the council has closed the ramps at Port Stephens. 

I get it that you can't have to many except fors in a shut down.   It is a bit frustrating that we will have plenty of time and I could take my boat out solo with bait from my bait freezer and I have ample fuel for at least 6 trips or 2 out wider. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Welster said:

I noticed the council has closed the ramps at Port Stephens. 

I get it that you can't have to many except fors in a shut down.   It is a bit frustrating that we will have plenty of time and I could take my boat out solo with bait from my bait freezer and I have ample fuel for at least 6 trips or 2 out wider. 

Yeah, I’m a bit dirty about that! It’s supposedly about keeping visitors out and from people coming into close contact at the ramp and cleaning tables etc. So? Allow ramp access to local residents only and close off all cleaning tables. Which is riskier? A few hours fishing solo at sea to gather some fresh fish to feed the family, or running the gauntlet daily at the supermarkets and co-op? I might have to make some calls and get a temporary berth down at my local marina! Lake Macquarie Council hasn’t deemed it necessary to close ramps but Port Stephens Council has? I’m sure local fishos will remember this, Mayor Ryan Palmer, when the postponed council elections come around in September 2021.

• Like 2

It wouldn't be difficult to maintain "social distancing" if an individual were to go offshore (solo). Quite a bit different than a charter operator cramming a dozen people on board for 6 hours. Apparent anomalies are everywhere Baz. Lawn Bowls cancelled but golf is ok. I do understand that there's a potential difference. Maybe the blanket approach is the simplest way round a problem. Luckily I could still go fishing, if there was any water in the river. bn

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, big Neil said:

It wouldn't be difficult to maintain "social distancing" if an individual were to go offshore (solo). Quite a bit different than a charter operator cramming a dozen people on board for 6 hours. Apparent anomalies are everywhere Baz. Lawn Bowls cancelled but golf is ok. I do understand that there's a potential difference. Maybe the blanket approach is the simplest way round a problem. Luckily I could still go fishing, if there was any water in the river. bn

Yes, Neil, and I’m lucky I still have a job! Not so lucky I have lost $80k off my super so far though! Looks like retirement will have to be deferred and I’ll have to ride it out! I reckon we’ll be in total lockdown by Monday...

Edited by Berleyguts

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Yes, Neil, and I’m lucky I still have a job! Not so lucky I have lost $80k off my super so far though! Looks like retirement will have to be deferred and I’ll have to ride it out! I reckon we’ll be in total lockdown by Monday...

I think that is pretty likely for Sydney or NSW.   The measures taken do appear to be slowing the spread but it would take a week to know if it's enough, I don't think that's a game we need to be playing. 

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Berleyguts,

sorry to hear that mate but if you don't mind me asking is that through your work super or do you have a personal super account?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

If you have lost 80 k you must have a lot of bucks in super or a very poorly managed fund.

We are all in the same boat Baz all of us all over the world

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

If you have lost 80 k you must have a lot of bucks in super or a very poorly managed fund.

We are all in the same boat Baz all of us all over the world

I’ve been salary sacrificing super for a very long time. 😉 It goes up and down and recovered somewhat yesterday. I have a moderately conservative strategy after being stung during the GFC by AMP. I was looking forward to an early self-funded retirement. I’ll just have to put it off for a while. Should be OK, thanks. Gotta keep smiling!

• Like 1

Raiders I am a little worried about what is not understood here. 

We are ALL being told to stay inside unless we have essential travel to do eg: doctor, groceries, to get medication at the pharmacy. Every time we go outside we are taking a risk and that includes fishing. 

Fishing trips may include getting fuel (touching petrol pump nozzle), visiting a tackle shop (usually very dirty surfaces anyway and cramped), touching money or items at the counter to pay, visiting a toilet at the ramp, touching door handles, congregating at ramps to launch and come back in. The list of things you may touch that an infected person may have touched or even coughed near is endless. This is before you even get out on the water. 

It is not ONLY about social distancing. It is about surfaces that we and others touch that may hold infected droplets. It is also about what age group we are in and if we are in any other risk group. 

A good percentage of raiders are over 60 and have chronic diseases for a start. If you are not 60 plus you will come in contact with a family member or another person who is.

Read this below - for older folk for example. 

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/advice-for-people-at-risk-of-coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-older-people 

I am an older person, what can I do? (from link above)

Even if you are feeling well, it is important to take steps to prevent the spread of this virus.

Good hygiene and taking care when interacting with other people, are the best defences for you and your family against COVID-19. This includes:

• covering your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue
  • disposing of used tissues immediately into a waste bin and washing your hands
  • washing your hands often with soap and water, including before and after eating and after going to the toilet, and when you have been out to shops or other places
  • using alcohol-based hand sanitisers, where available
  • cleaning and disinfecting surfaces you have touched
  • where possible, stay 1.5 metres away — 2 arms’ length — from other people. This is an example of social distancing
  • if you are sick, stay at home and avoid contact with others
  • avoid non-essential travel
  • think about having the chemist deliver your medicines
  • think about having your groceries delivered

Fishraider admin is not authorised to confirm if people can fish in any lake, beach or rock shelf. You need to look after yourself, your family and you have a responsibility as a global citizen to look after others. The government has made public orders and we have to abide by them. This is now being policed and fines are being issued. 

It is your decision how to interpret the orders and instructions and if you find it difficult contact the relevant bodies. It is your decision to go fishing but make sure you are armed with all the information re this global pandemic, know and understand the public health orders and not to mention your gloves, soap and/or hand sanitiser!

Information is found on our Australian Department of Health website - read it for all information. Watch the news bulletins, listen to radio to get the latest info. 

Here is the DoH website link 

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert 

Finally there is one member who has twice referred to one of our female policitians as "a cow". You know who you are. This will not be tolerated on fishraider. There is no manual for our leaders to use telling them how to deal with this. I personally think they are all doing their very best and I don't care about what party they represent. They are human beings as we all are. 

@Scratchie and myself have posted about what is expected here in our community regarding not posting about COVID-19 posts. I do not want to have to resort to banning members for site rule breaches. 

We are all in this together and we are all hurting financially, physically and mentally. Please show respect and kindness. 

How about someone helping by doing some posts about tackle, rigs, things you will do to the boat while you arn't using it? Maybe do some videos showing how you do that fabbo knot? 

mrsswordfisherman aka Donna   (Fishraider Community Manager)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2