Bass

marks1984

Gday all,

need a bit of help, been fishing for bass for only a little bit now been using poppers, spinnerbaits, cicada's and shallow divers lures the thing is I fish at night in a dam were bass are and I can only catch them on the shallow divers that's it. I know people have a lot of success with spinner baits I work them in different depths and different speeds still nothing.

any help would be awesome.

The trick with surface lures is patience. Fish them as slow as possible and then when you think you’re fishing too slow, fish slower.

Cast out, wait for the rings to disappear from around your lure, then twitch only enough to create more rings. Stop again and wait, then repeat. 

You’ll get them, just a matter of being patient.

As for spinnerbaits, you’re on your own there, I’ve never been able to get a fish on one lol. Apparently they are very affective, but I just don’t have faith in them, and I reckon if you don’t have faith in the lure you’re using, you’ll never have success.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lastworm said:

The trick with surface lures is patience. Fish them as slow as possible and then when you think you’re fishing too slow, fish slower.

Cast out, wait for the rings to disappear from around your lure, then twitch only enough to create more rings. Stop again and wait, then repeat. 

You’ll get them, just a matter of being patient.

As for spinnerbaits, you’re on your own there, I’ve never been able to get a fish on one lol. Apparently they are very affective, but I just don’t have faith in them, and I reckon if you don’t have faith in the lure you’re using, you’ll never have success.

Thanks man yeah I have tried the go super slow method still big fat zero I am talking like at least 10 outings than I put on a shallow diver with in 20 casts bang lol I am on

Divers are probably matching what they're eating, as the weather cools they'll be less likely to hit surface 

I've never had success with skirted spinnerbaits for bass but attaching a jigspinner to a grub style plastic doesn't fail me very often

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marks1984 said:

Gday all,

need a bit of help, been fishing for bass for only a little bit now been using poppers, spinnerbaits, cicada's and shallow divers lures the thing is I fish at night in a dam were bass are and I can only catch them on the shallow divers that's it. I know people have a lot of success with spinner baits I work them in different depths and different speeds still nothing.

any help would be awesome.

Hey mate, where abouts are you located? If you’re in Sydney maybe we can meet up for a night time session.?!

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2020 at 2:34 PM, marks1984 said:

Thanks man yeah I have tried the go super slow method still big fat zero I am talking like at least 10 outings than I put on a shallow diver with in 20 casts bang lol I am on

I noticed your location is Bligh Park - same as me.  Are you land based or Kayak?  I caught a nice Bass up the end of Yarramundi Lake - it was my only Bass in a 4hr session but keep going back for more hahah.  My Bass was on the surface and it was on the landing - I didnt move the lure at all... and whhooff...  I'm on... keep at it, once you get your first surface strike, you won't forget it... maybe not now... they've shut down.  I hit the Grose River on the weekend gone for 0 returns - yet plenty of structure where I was convienced they'd be a Bass.. but no.  So its now waiting time for late Spring before I try again.

89010874_2882253171797086_2108844099275587584_o.jpg

• 4 months later...

What surface lures are you using? As the weather starts to warm up the bass should become a bit more keen to take topwater.. I usually start most of my sessions at 4-5am so still very lowlight hours, i like to sit and listen for a few minutes to see if i can hear any ' boofs ' on the surface which will give you a pretty good indication that there are bass keen. Ive had my most success on the river2sea cicada pop and the jackall pompadour micro. The pompadour is a VERY noisy lure so its great for really pissing off a bass when they are in the mood lol. But ive found that the more pauses, the better! Spinnerbaits are great for snaggy areas, i let it sink to the bottom and then just a nice steady retrieve works well, i like to use more natural colours also. Hope this helps!

My daughter has been having some quite surprisingly good sessions on the bass over the last four days. Her all time favourite still seems to be the bassday sugapen. Surprisingly because she is targeting them in areas that suffered very badly in the fires.