Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning near Lilli Pilli. First cast with a pillie and a tailor hookup. Around the 2 pound mark, it put up a good fight, and the hook pulled next to the boat. No more tailor bites during the morning. No yakkas about, but plenty of little reddies, nowhere near legal size. They ate anything thrown their way.

In amongst them I pulled out the 2 trevs and the salmon, all on salted tailor strips. I figured it was not going to be a good day, so I kept the salmon, which was gut hooked anyway. It will make some fishcakes so won't be wasted.

I also pulled out a just legal blue spot flattie, and a spiky flattie.

I headed to Maianbar and pumped some nippers. Pulled out the whiting, missed a second bite, then that was it. I tried a number of other spots for only little pickers, the place just seemed dead (probably not a good description with the virus about), so headed home after several hours of trying.

fish.jpeg_228.thumb.png.37581ab048be5adb22ae7341c5f9e022.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice.

No sign of any kings around?

Did not see any surface action, or birds working, though the surface was ruffled by a constant easterly breeze. I assume the kings would be further up river. 

The water is now rather clear again.

• Like 1

Hi Dave

I agree port seems very very quiet . No surface fish at all except for big slimmes out off Oak park. 

I fished near lilli pilli Tuesday surface was smooth and not a baitfish to be seen. The reddies stopped biting about 730 and then it was dead. Ended up with a legal red and a Trev . I didn't try for whiting, back  home 1100.

Bruce 

2 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Hi Dave

I agree port seems very very quiet . No surface fish at all except for big slimmes out off Oak park. 

I fished near lilli pilli Tuesday surface was smooth and not a baitfish to be seen. The reddies stopped biting about 730 and then it was dead. Ended up with a legal red and a Trev . I didn't try for whiting, back  home 1100.

Bruce 

Hello Bruce.

I fished near the sandbank, hoping I could pull up a crab. None there, but the little reddies were snapping up baits as soon as I tossed them out. The trevs and salmon were lucky to get hold of a bait.

When I fished in Bate Bay a few weeks ago in my mate's boat, there were plenty of large slimies. The tailor came on the bite when it was dark, most in the 40 to 45 cm range.

1 hour ago, Welster said:

Yesterday a mate caught bonnies near Lilly Pilly with bust ups "everywhere".  

I said there were no bust ups yesterday, but I do now remember a few near the boat, only briefly. Appeared to be small frigates, only small ones. No sign of bonnies when I was there. They probably turned up after I up-anchored and moved.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

I said there were no bust ups yesterday, but I do now remember a few near the boat, only briefly. Appeared to be small frigates, only small ones. No sign of bonnies when I was there. They probably turned up after I up-anchored and moved.

I think it would of been around lunch time. 

• Thanks 1