Show us your best fish you ever caught and tell us why???

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Well the title says it all. Show us the best fish you ever caught and tell us why! It doesn’t have to be a monster, nor a game fish (It can be)  but just a fish you’ve always wanted to catch and what effort you put in to catch it!!! 

I’ll start.......

As you know I love chasing snapper! On this very day I took my son out and we caught a couple of nice pannies! The wind started to kick up and it had been a long morning and the boy wanted to go home! I made the call for one more drift and made it a long one. The boy just cast out and let his soft plastic drift behind the boat. But I “just kept casting“. We were soon in zone after a fast drift. Then I get a hit that nearly rips the rod out my hand! Boom...... but no hook up, damn so I thought to tea bag the lure! Next minute, zzzzzzzz I was on, and on hard! After a good fight and landed in 6-8m of water up cones my PB snapper at 95cms! I could have given up and gone home but no, I “just kept casting”. I’ve had some very special moments when fishing from GT’s, Spanish Mackeral to Marlin but this is truly one I will never forget!!! 

9C8E378E-A4CA-4AD0-8F03-FB9BA4BB2848.thumb.jpeg.c1da20df23964e910558064f1210ad04.jpeg

So what’s your best capture???? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 19

Been lucky enough to have fished in "the old days" and caught some very memorable fish in local waters, I will see if I can dig up some photos, probably up there would be a 39KG Kingfish (cleaned) a 71 KG Yellowfin on Snapper gear, on my own, in the dark, maybe the best though, a 35KG Jewfish, in about 3m of water, on a small hand line just outside Shellharbour harbour.

• Like 8

Scratchie, I've been fishing for 60 years or so, and you want me to pick out one time? I would have more luck picking the winning lotto numbers, and that won't happen.  😂🤣😆😁😀😎😀

There will be many. This might help. 🥂

Nice pannies by the way. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hello fellow fishraider

The picture is of a Jew I caught in Cowan creek on 6lb line,size 2 hook and a mullet fillet . It fought tooth and nails the whole fight, many heart stopping moments as there were jetskers and people in boats pulling up watching. There was about 5 trys at netting it, each time it would turn and run. Eventually we netted it, it went 73cm,chucked a tag in it and after a short swim of it went . It's my best capture cause I was fishing for bream and was totally out gunned but I won the fight. But to see it swim off with a tag in its shoulder made me feel happy knowing someone else could come across this fish and hopefully enjoy what I had experienced.

Cheers Scotty 

Resized_20191227_090254001.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My first Blackfish changed my fishing life. A fellow Fishraider took time out to guide me and instruct me in the etiquette. Thanks Trevor. That lead to me  catching heaps of fish and fishing with some great guys. I won't forget it.

Mine is the smaller fish.

IMG_2764.thumb.PNG.5e1ae39013ee246fd33fc97d0fb791e9.PNG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ryder said:

My first Blackfish changed my fishing life. A fellow Fishraider took time out to guide me and instruct me in the etiquette. Thanks Trevor. That lead to me  catching heaps of fish and fishing with some great guys. I won't forget it.

Mine is the smaller fish.

IMG_2764.thumb.PNG.5e1ae39013ee246fd33fc97d0fb791e9.PNG

And like the great guy that you are Ryder, you introduced me to the "dark art" and I love it. Can't wait to try it again sometime in the forseeable future. 

Like most older anglers I would have to say that every fish is special. The very early days fishing the ponds of England with a bamboo cane, cotton thread, a bent pin and matchstick float...chasing coarse fish, was very exciting. Trips to South Australia and catching a 92 and 91 cm Snapper in consecutive casts. Mastering soft plastics on Flathead and more recently Murray Cod on spinnerbaits, hardbodies and surface lures have all provided plenty of excitement. Blackfishing is an amazing experience too with the anticipation of the float going under. Fly fishing for Trout is another great experience. Really, when you love fishing, for whatever reason, every bit of success has its own reward. Cheers, bn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I could never overcome seasickness, so in my younger days it was all about landbased game for me. 

I couldn't decide which was my most memorable between these two, a 28kg black marlin and a 70.5kg yellowfin. The marlin was the most spectacular fight I've ever had and the 'fin was the biggest fish I've ever caught from the rocks. Both were taken on 15kg line.

Sorry for the crappy photos, but the pics have degraded since they taken in the mid 1980's.

15-01-83 28kg.jpg

6-04-85 70.5kg.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I have very few photos of fish I catch as I only seem to take pics of what the kids catch. In desperation of a scratchy sized snapper I headed up to Foster a few years back where we were rewarded with this one on the first drop, closely followed by three we couldn't stop. 

IMG_1393.JPG.14ea7cc7305d4710f3ff1df4dc19758a.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Probably my second Barra, my first was caught at the base of the argyle dam in Kununurra on a rock groyne next to the spillway with an old rubber floppy about 40cm & released

While doing the big trip in 89 a couple of days later we ended up free camping further down stream on the other side of the Ivanhoe crossing & every afternoon just before dusk there’d be about 6 to 8 of us casting up river on the crossing & on average most evenings one about 20 odd pounds would be caught, lost a good fish one afternoon fighting with a guy anchored upstream within casting range, my lure came back with bent trebles & scales needless to say we didn’t see him again after the mouthful he copped from all of us 

Two days later right on sunset I’m about to lift my orange nilsmaster out for another cast & this Barra launches clear out of the water right in front of us, we all look at each other & then my reel starts screaming  keeping in mind I was only using 15lb mono straight through & after a long run I backed off the drag slightly as the head shakes reverberated down the line. Was over a meter & a good 40lb+ according to the butcher who gaffed her in the mouth 03FFF727-25EF-42C2-BB8D-5E90914118CA.jpeg.46ba4b236d0ad82d5c0716ee599bacf7.jpegNot the best photo but that Barra was the biggest caught there in 25 years & kept me in beers for the next two weeks & fed six of us 3 times with plenty shared around

• Like 7

Scratchie, 

My old photos were taken on a box brownie camera, then a newer camera, then on an instamatic camera (I think) that developed it's own photos.

All of those photos have have faded like my hair colour to a pale grey, or nothing at all.  😂

It is a good post, but I cannot help with anything now, other than what I post on this forum. Fishraider can be a good laugh at times, especially with what is happening this year - fires, floods and now corona virus.

By the way, Influenza A had already started in Australia, not many cases but it is early according to my doc.

• Like 2

Plan was to chase dolphin fish on light tackle but after hooking into marlin which flicked the lure on  kids $20 rod we decided to up the class. Unfortunately didn't have any mono over 80lb for a trace but that didn't stop my daughter hooking into this 160kg stripe.

_JDP3976.jpg.81cff779e864b9982034b3905fa286a3.jpg

_JDP4180.thumb.jpg.ec4025e8fee86990f5410d0a37162f6e.jpg

Edited by JonD
  • Like 12

43 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Scratchie, 

My old photos were taken on a box brownie camera, then a newer camera, then on an instamatic camera (I think) that developed it's own photos.

All of those photos have have faded like my hair colour to a pale grey, or nothing at all.  😂

It is a good post, but I cannot help with anything now, other than what I post on this forum. Fishraider can be a good laugh at times, especially with what is happening this year - fires, floods and now corona virus.

By the way, Influenza A had already started in Australia, not many cases but it is early according to my doc.

Gees Yowie, were you around with the dinosaurs? 🤣🤣🤣

I actually don’t have a photo of my most memorable fish that got me addicted. I was at Stewart house when I was a young boy and they took us fishing at Narrabeen Lakes. I cast out a prawn on a hand line and next minute the line took off. After the fight of my life, with me chasing this thing up and down the bank, I landed the biggest bream I’ve ever caught to date. It went 46cm. What a rush that was and it started my fishing journey! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2