Show us your best fish you ever caught and tell us why???

Scratchie

4 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Local caught 53cm bream

20160529_200511.jpg

Caught one around that size once out of the Lanecove river on a pillie fillet fishing a high ledge & put it in an esky (48cm inside length) full of water & it couldn’t sit straight in the esky, what a struggle it was to get down to the waters edge to release in the dark

• Like 2

Like a few others me and boats did not used to mix well so I was landed based person and mostly beach until I found the courage to fish the rocks.

My favorite was my first jew off the beach in reality only small at 14kg but so much fun and seeing that big silver side in the moonlight. I will never forget. Can't find the photos of it anymore such a pity. 

This 82cm snapper off the rocks is my best recent considering I was fishing for bream.

0_20161121_114229.jpg

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Rock&Beach said:

Like a few others me and boats did not used to mix well so I was landed based person and mostly beach until I found the courage to fish the rocks.

My favorite was my first jew off the beach in reality only small at 14kg but so much fun and seeing that big silver side in the moonlight. I will never forget. Can't find the photos of it anymore such a pity. 

This 82cm snapper off the rocks is my best recent considering I was fishing for bream.

0_20161121_114229.jpg

That is a cracking snapper off the rocks! My best is 76cm and went like a train! I was very nervous lifting it with 20lb leader! Top effort 👍👍👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dazamcstaga said:

78cm Long Tom caught lake Illawarra on a live nipper 2-4kg rod with 4lb flurocarbon

IMG20171216111002.jpg

Edited 2 hours ago by dazamcstaga

At that size & with that gear it would’ve been like fighting a lake marlin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

At that size & with that gear it would’ve been like fighting a lake marlin 

Dead right it's all about the relative size of the gear compared to the sized of the fish. I love the way long toms will dance on their tail when hooked - very much like a marlin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dazamcstaga said:

78cm Long Tom caught lake Illawarra on a live nipper 2-4kg rod with 4lb flurocarbon

IMG20171216111002.jpg

Not too bad.

When I was a kid, I holidayed at Windang in the van park to the west of the bridge. Plenty of fish to be caught in the main channel, so no need to head up into the lake.

I rowed about in a rowboat, and one day I was drifting in the area known as The Step, just before you head up into the lake itself. There is a small island (assume it is still there) near the western end of the van park.

I saw a large silver fish lying on the shoreline, so I rowed over and stopped on the island shore. It was a long tom (probably a Stout Long Tom - different to yours) and comparing it to myself at that time, I estimated it to be 4 foot long (1.2 metres)  and as thick as a wine bottle. Massive teeth.

Have only ever seen one other Stout Long Tom and that was in Port Hacking, about a metre long and had it on for a short time until the hook pulled. I have caught quite a few Slender Long Tom in the Hacking, like yours.

• Like 1

I have been trying to catch a Jew for so long

Finally cracked it  today  although not a huge fish  but  I’ll take it

Didnt get size as I  took ages finding phone for pic  and wanted to get it back in 

then got busted off by what I think was a Jew during day ran under the boat  and couldn’t steer it back with my 2-4 kg rod

and snapped my line  was gutted 
as it  had some size to it.

C48082A3-94B1-48D1-9AAD-6AE4506BAE83.jpeg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Adso917 said:

I have been trying to catch a Jew for so long

Finally cracked it  today  although not a huge fish  but  I’ll take it

Didnt get size as I  took ages finding phone for pic  and wanted to get it back in 

then got busted off by what I think was a Jew during day ran under the boat  and couldn’t steer it back with my 2-4 kg rod

and snapped my line  was gutted 
as it  had some size to it.

C48082A3-94B1-48D1-9AAD-6AE4506BAE83.jpeg

A jews a Jew. You’ll always remember your first one even if it’s 25cm long like my first one 😂. Congrats 

• Haha 1

Back in the 60's we used to regularly visit my Aunty and Uncle, who owned a house at Illawong, on the Georges River. Their house was built on piers and was actually out from the bank and over the water. I remember they always had a handline out the kitchen window and the cork would be left in the sink, so if a fish took the bait, the cork rattling in the sink would act as an alarm.

There was no EPA back then and their toilet was just a pan with a hole, so everything dropped straight into the river. As a cheeky six or seven year old, I thought it would be funny to drop a handline down the dunny just for a giggle and wouldn't you know it, the bait had no sooner hit the water and I hooked onto a bloody big bream. That big I couldn't get it up through the hole in the floor, so I yelled out for someone to help.

My dad came flying into the bathroom to see what the commotion was all about and I don't think he knew whether to laugh or belt me for getting in this predicament. Thankfully he laughed and got my uncle, who had a boat tied up under the house to go out and fetch the fish.

50+ years down the track and I'll never forget that catch. 

I guess the Queenslanders don't call bream poo eaters for nothing. 

Edit: Oh and Waza, they had a pet eel named Eric that they fed all the fish and meat scraps  

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Central Coast Fisherman said:

Jew I caught last week. Estimated weight of 25kg

587B90E1-1378-4091-B94E-4C2DCB0D9443.jpeg

Congrats Phil on almost 40kg of jewies in 2 nights, Looking forward to the report        👍😎👍

Edited by 61 crusher

This is my favourite catch mainly because it involved a few challenges.

It was caught while slow trolling a live yakka at 12 mile reef.

My 5.8 meter  Quintrex is only really suitable for going outside on good days so to get out there is a rare enough event anyway.

This fish was quite a challenge and of course you are never sure who well they are hooked so I played the fish for perhaps 15 minutes as it stayed down deep. When it came to the surface it made a few jumps and lit up iridescent blue with its fins raised... very spectacular and the fish in the photo doesn't do it justice.

Getting a gaff in the fish single handed was a challenge so it was a great relief when I had it boated.

By far the best dollie I have caught and it fed the family for a few months

Cheers

JimDolly.thumb.JPG.01353debaa6f3d29b6d11a3cb1ae2161.JPG

• Like 9

It was actually a few weeks ago. Some of you may remember the post.

I've been fishing with my father since i can remember started out with beach fishing and eventually we got a boat about 10yrs ago And all of a sudden it was me waking dad up in the early mornings!!!

We have pretty much fished Botany Bay ever since!! Alot of the time just targetting the bread and butter species for a nice feed Flatties, Crabs and Calamari. We would target kings when its the right time of year and we wouldnt get much lukc the odd king here and there and it was never my father that would catch the kingfish always me!

Which was great for bragging rights 🙂 

That all changed when dad hooked and landed not only his first legal king but the biggest we had caught on the boat!! Coming in at a nice fat 78cm.

He later said to me that was the best fish he had ever caught and it was the best weekend of fishing he has ever had 🙂 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This fish snipped off two troll rods before being hooked on the third! It went like a freight train and I got first sight of it as it launched 20ft out the water! Definitely one fish I’ll never forget!!! 

28CA3551-06F7-4BE9-981B-DB32AFA7CE53.thumb.jpeg.b51f126966609d88a72f8d6c7afd7653.jpeg

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

This fish snipped off two troll rods before being hooked on the third! It went like a freight train and I got first sight of it as it launched 20ft out the water! Definitely one fish I’ll never forget!!! 

28CA3551-06F7-4BE9-981B-DB32AFA7CE53.thumb.jpeg.b51f126966609d88a72f8d6c7afd7653.jpeg

Looks like a wahoo, bit hard to tell at that angle. Nice fish.

Looks like you are trying to get it to talk like that insurance ad with the moose's head - "lucky I'm with Scratchie"  🤣🤣😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Looks like a wahoo, bit hard to tell at that angle. Nice fish.

Looks like you are trying to get it to talk like that insurance ad with the moose's head - "lucky I'm with Scratchie"  🤣🤣😂

Haha yowie! It’s actually a Spanish mackeral caught at Lyndoc banks 512km north of Darwin!

The biggest snapper I have caught was 52 cm in 8feet of water at the back of jibbon bommie south of cronulla biggest bream was 45cm in 4feet of water in the oyster leases in botany Bay were Georges River enters not very sporting used 20lb line and ugly stick if you didn't give it to them the cut you off all the time also you only had two hours to fish as well the leases are gone now it was a great place to fish

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, crusher87 said:

58.5kg dogtooth on 30lb braid in Fiji. We we’re catching heaps of Spanish downrigging live baits so we put on a spin stick and bang! 

66CACC6C-EB86-4FDD-B4DD-534BC3E36A0E.jpeg

15553D2E-2088-4783-8514-3ED8DBB960A1.jpeg

Holy shit that is a beast regardless of the gear!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:26 AM, fragmeister said:

This is my favourite catch mainly because it involved a few challenges.

It was caught while slow trolling a live yakka at 12 mile reef.

My 5.8 meter  Quintrex is only really suitable for going outside on good days so to get out there is a rare enough event anyway.

This fish was quite a challenge and of course you are never sure who well they are hooked so I played the fish for perhaps 15 minutes as it stayed down deep. When it came to the surface it made a few jumps and lit up iridescent blue with its fins raised... very spectacular and the fish in the photo doesn't do it justice.

Getting a gaff in the fish single handed was a challenge so it was a great relief when I had it boated.

By far the best dollie I have caught and it fed the family for a few months

Cheers

JimDolly.thumb.JPG.01353debaa6f3d29b6d11a3cb1ae2161.JPG

That's a cracker Jim. Always fascinates me that the fastest fish have that type of tail configuration. Cheers, bn