Poddy mullet

Joeyd

Hi raiders

Just wanted to know if its possible to catch poddy mullet on yakka jigs the small feathered jigs with heaps of small hooks and plastic tiny reathers on it

Also any good tips on makeing a trap

Will be going to muddy creek where the amature fishermans club is to try gets some live poddy to use in the bay saturday morning

Cheers 

Never tried catching Mullet with those bait jigs, there is dozens of ways to make a trap, from a simple long bottle or plastic soft drink bottle, to a bigger flat plastic bottle, or cheap store bought traps, what do you have access too easily in the way of materials? Tell us what you can get and we can give you ideas on making a no cost trap.

• Like 1

I use poddies in pursuit of big flatties (released) and have tried every way possible to catch them.  Sabiki rigs haven't worked for me but if you used the smallest ones with a little bit of bait they may work if worked very gently.

I usually set a homemade trap and then catch them by line to fill in the time and sometimes get a bigger sized baits this way.   Rig is a 9ft light telescopic rod without runners with line attached to end of rod.  Two size 14 green square type luderick hooks are suspended about 4 and 6 inches below a tiny white foam float about one quarter x half inch in size.  Bait is small bit of squashed fresh bread on point of hook, but a tiny bit of chicken works better and stays on hook better as well.  Ron

• Like 2

For a cheap easy trap try cutting the top off a 2l soft drink bottle right where it stops tapering, invert, punch a couple of holes either side and tie some rope to stop it coming apart. Throw a rock or weight in to stop it floating away and some bread and leave in shallow water for an hour or so. You can cut the neck bigger to for larger baits

AB017A18-0D43-433D-9800-32D273E45141.png

• Like 1

Another item you can use is a clear rectangular Tupperware container cut an x hole or use fly screen mesh & secure, throw a couple of sinkers or rocks in to weigh it down & a good trick is to put a mirror in the bottom, they’re more likely to enter the trap seeing others inside, usually speeds things up a bit

• Like 1

Have caught Poddy Mullet on Sabiki rigs. Dont use any weights on the rig, put bread in the water and wait for the poddies to get stuck in, the bread floats along. Lay the rig out next to the bread and the poddies usually grab it by mistake...but it still works.

J

Edited by Jocler
More info

I use a clear juice bottle with a diagonal cross cut in the side, then push those flaps in. This side then becomes the top. A snapper sinker to weigh it down a bit, maybe tie it off on a beach rod holder, add a little bit of white bread and that’s about it Ron’s @campr Kelly rig is worth a go, too.

• Thanks 1

This may sound stupid but I’m struggling to catch poddy mullet or any mullet in the Georges river. I have managed to only catch 2: one on a sp (35cm) and one on a sabiki jig while jigging for herring (my alternate to mullet). Truer burley and everything and they just don’t like to eat. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong since all my usual traps and float fishing techniques work down south.

10 hours ago, Joeyd said:

Im pretty sure you have to visual the mullet before placeing traps or rigs otherwise its hard going hopeing they will just come as they move in schools quickly

Yeah I always see them before dropping a trap in and when I drop it in they just seem to ignore it

You will find days where poddies just won't trap. I think any of us that do it regularly have experienced that.

My tips:

- Flat juice bottles are about the best traps you'll get

- Cut your bread into small 1cm cubes. If you use big bits of bread in your trap and it comes out the mullet will swim off with it

- Don't burley too hard, just a little cube here and there thrown over your trap to get them interested.

- Mullet trap better on the high tide and ideally when it is calm eg. not blowing a gale

- The single best tip i can give is not to set your trap too deep. You only want just enough water over it for the mullet to be able to swim across it. Follow this tip and you will fill your trap more often then not

4 minutes ago, motiondave said:

has anyone , used a poddy trap from a boat? hanging it off the side and had any success?

I personally don't think that would be of any benefit, the motion of boat would scare them away.

They are pretty skittish little things! 

21 hours ago, Joeyd said:

Hi raiders

Just wanted to know if its possible to catch poddy mullet on yakka jigs the small feathered jigs with heaps of small hooks and plastic tiny reathers on it

Also any good tips on makeing a trap

Will be going to muddy creek where the amature fishermans club is to try gets some live poddy to use in the bay saturday morning

Cheers 

Here are a couple of older threads to check out-

As time changes so does the rules, so if your in NSW this is the current rules-

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/perm-prohib-saltwater