Baitcaster

Will Wright

Hey Guys. I am investing in a baitcaster for Murray cod! The problem is I have no idea about baitcasters. Firstly, can you change the reel handle from right to left or do you have to buy a separate reel - All the baitcasters I have found online are right handed. And also if anyone has any suggestions for a baitcaster combo/ baitcaster rod and reel for under $200 that would be great. I will be fishing in rivers and sometimes in dams. Thanks

answer your first question the handles are fixed and can't be changed

try and buy the best quality reel you can afford the cheaper ones just don't perform or last long

I use a shimano curado K for most of my cod fishing and also doubles for snag bashing jacks get a really good quality reel for the price

6 hours ago, Will Wright said:

Hey Guys. I am investing in a baitcaster for Murray cod! The problem is I have no idea about baitcasters. Firstly, can you change the reel handle from right to left or do you have to buy a separate reel - All the baitcasters I have found online are right handed. And also if anyone has any suggestions for a baitcaster combo/ baitcaster rod and reel for under $200 that would be great. I will be fishing in rivers and sometimes in dams. Thanks

Hi Will. You won't get "Quality" rod and reel baitcast gear for anything like $200, but you will be able to catch most Murray Cod on a cheap baitcast combo. They are not renowned fighting fish, UNTIL you hook a big one. A few reels do actually come in a left hand wind model but most are right hand wind. If you intend fishing regularly for Murray Cod I would save a bit longer and get a better quality reel and pair it with a 4-8kg or 6-10kg rod. Good luck, let us know what you get and how you go with it mate. bn

Baitcaster rods  are regularly heavily discounted as are less popular - you can get the rod with original price $100 for $25-50 on sale with some research.  Yes, you will have to buy a separate reel - you can not change the handle side,  and I have never seen  left hand wind baitcast combos on sale in Australia. Unlike large or small Brick and Mortars - some online  Australian retailers  do stock left hand wind baitcasters  - it is easy to check online once you collect some model suggestions .