Outboard problems

JimC

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been draining the fuel out of the carbies like Zoran has eluded to for years, when I didn’t I had a hard time starting the motor,,soo when I’m washing  the boat I’m flushing out the motor with fresh water for 5 mins, then I just unplug the fuel and wait for the engine to konk out and that’s it....next time on the water she starts straight away....

32 minutes ago, Muzza6411 said:

I’ve been draining the fuel out of the carbies like Zoran has eluded to for years, when I didn’t I had a hard time starting the motor,,soo when I’m washing  the boat I’m flushing out the motor with fresh water for 5 mins, then I just unplug the fuel and wait for the engine to konk out and that’s it....next time on the water she starts straight away....

I've been doing exactly this too....... I also briefly start the engine before I leave home.  If it dont start--- I dont go-- but it always has.

Have Honda now... electronic-never-fail start... but i still drain the fuel system whilst washing.

1 hour ago, dmck said:

I've been doing exactly this too....... I also briefly start the engine before I leave home.  If it dont start--- I dont go-- but it always has.

Have Honda now... electronic-never-fail start... but i still drain the fuel system whilst washing.

Are you saying you run an EFI system out of fuel?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, noelm said:

Are you saying you run an EFI system out of fuel?

I have been.... and now that you ask... I'm scared..... should I NOT do this?

What is the difference to running out of fuel whilst boating?

Edited by dmck

11 hours ago, dmck said:

What is the difference to running out of fuel whilst boating?

The EFI system has a high pressure fuel pump. I guess running this dry very infrequently (first time startup, rare out of fuel situation) may be ok. But not sure I would run it dry every time - these pumps have tight tolerances- the fuel is a form of lubricant.  
Similarly I don’t like to run the motor without water to the impeller- most idle at 600rpm. Just kicking it over would get 20-50revs of the rubber impeller rubbing dry against the metal casing.  
But these are just my thoughts- a marine mech would be best to consult on this. 
cheers Zoran 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, noelm said:

Correct, the fuel pump is fuel cooled and lubricated, running dry is not a big hit for longevity.

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

The EFI system has a high pressure fuel pump. I guess running this dry very infrequently (first time startup, rare out of fuel situation) may be ok. But not sure I would run it dry every time - these pumps have tight tolerances- the fuel is a form of lubricant.  
Similarly I don’t like to run the motor without water to the impeller- most idle at 600rpm. Just kicking it over would get 20-50revs of the rubber impeller rubbing dry against the metal casing.  
But these are just my thoughts- a marine mech would be best to consult on this. 
cheers Zoran 

Well, thanks folks..... I've just learned some valuable information and I shall abandon my bad habits.

• Like 2