Duskies Going Off

Holls

Who can explain it? Go out on the lake for a couple of hours in my yak, maybe 3 or 4 times. I catch the odd flathead and occasionally a couple of legal pinkies. I live virtually on the shoreline of Burrill Lake, south coast.

Then this morning I glide out 30 metres, same spot and the duskies are going crazy! Every cast with an SP brings up another big fish. After 15 mins I stop with five nice fish, the largest just over 55cm. All caught on the one SP! Filleted up I'm supplying neighbours (from a distance). Tight lines everyone.

Flathead.jpg

flathead2.jpg

• Like 11

Holls

I had exactly the same experience at Narrabeen Lake on the Northern Beaches of Sydney a week ago. Was fishing the same stretch of shoreline I usually do (sometimes get one or two flatties, but lately none) then last week my son and I caught seven in an hour on SPs. Kept two and released the rest. We were getting hits every few casts.

I don't know why either but it was I nice change.

Fil

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Good work, nice feed of flatties. Could be that a school of baitfish were hanging in the area.

Yes, the lake is alive with little shoals of something. It's one big nursery. One flatty had a three inch bream inside it!

One thing I noticed. A couple of these big lizards had muddy discoloration underneath (you can see it in the pics). They were caught over shelly sand but it possible they came off the mud a km away where the creek comes in. In other words they may be moving around a lot at present (autumn). 

• Like 1