Bucket List Species Finally Captured!

Berleyguts

I went on a hunting and gathering mission in Port Stephens this morning. I had heard the odd report of this species about but I have not seen one for a long, long time. The story has always been the same - “You should have been here yesterday, mate!”. 😞

Finally, however, I had some success! I manoeuvred my way cautiously into the area, not wanting to draw attention to anyone else that was around. I had the area to myself! 😎 I approached from behind and managed to snare him with a short battle and minimal resistance. Woohoo! I took only what I needed. I am so pleased with my capture!

Details below:

Method: sight casting

Species (scientific name): toiletpaperus almostgoneus

23A10BD7-D8F3-4DF9-A23C-73FBDFFE2157.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

Still haven't seen one of those in the usual spots but I did get word there was a school of them at a secret location, unfortunately they had all gone when I got there. Going to need a bigger outfit with longer range if I want to get among them.

• Haha 3

I have noticed that they tend to school up and disappear quickly, similar to dogtooth tuna or frigate mackerel. You need to be in the right place at the right time really. Also watch out, dont muck around while bringing them in there are tax agents everywhere when toiletpaperus almostgoneus school up. They will be ready to take you're catch as soon as you hookup. 

• Haha 2

Method: sight casting

Species (scientific name): toiletpaperus almostgoneus

23A10BD7-D8F3-4DF9-A23C-73FBDFFE2157.jpegMy family has fond memories of this rare soft species, I’ve tried in vain many a time but did manage to find a smaller inferior sub species of half the size which I was informed when I arrived home needs to be handled with great care & has a distinct odour of meat, made me wonder if it was conceived in an abattoir 

sub species ( meatis thinnis crapius)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

It is highly unusual to find them in a school of 8 and all same size. 
Very impressive capture @Berleyguts

Just let us know whether it was taken on bait or lure. 
Please submit the pic into the records section. No need for pic on a brag mat 😂😂😂

Lure I guess. A big silver teaser with green trim, fully sanitised upon entry to the area. Then a small amount of scent was added in the form of full cream milk (also hard to find at times), a small amount of liquorice and some Metamucil. These last two items I will now be able to consume in accordance with my healthy eating/weight loss program, having found my bucket list species. 😂In reality, though, I guess this was by catch as I fully wasn’t expecting to come across it on this latest hunting and gathering expedition. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Righto Baz, had me going there. These normally widespread species are (apparently) being moved onto the seriously endangered list as their numbers have dropped rapidly. It appears that a month or so back somebody valued them higher than a Rose Bay Mansion and that led to them becoming highly sought after. Subsequent stock assessments have shown that they no longer exist in their former habitat. Will they ever return to take pride of place in the little rooms of every household? Only time will tell. bn

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

You gotta work the right areas Baz! There’s some big ones amongst them 💪💪💪

D2D49061-B798-40CF-8A4B-9D3DCB28505D.thumb.jpeg.a0d0ef7fd164bc40e4ba0fb9ab30015a.jpeg

Hey @Berleyguts trust @Scratchie to hook the biggest one in Port Stephens & wonder if when @rickmarlin62 gets his will it be bigger again or one roll short     😂🤣😂

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Hey @Berleyguts trust @Scratchie to hook the biggest one in Port Stephens & wonder if when @rickmarlin62 gets his will it be bigger again or one roll short     😂🤣😂

I’m just surprised Baz’s line didn’t tangle, he missed the gaff shot, got a flat tyre on the way, ran out of fuel, left his licence at home or all the above! Great work all the same Baz! 👍

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

I’m just surprised Baz’s line didn’t tangle, he missed the gaff shot, got a flat tyre on the way, ran out of fuel, left his licence at home or all the above! Great work all the same Baz! 👍

I don’t think I have ever missed a gaff shot. 🤪

54 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Righto Baz, had me going there. These normally widespread species are (apparently) being moved onto the seriously endangered list as their numbers have dropped rapidly. It appears that a month or so back somebody valued them higher than a Rose Bay Mansion and that led to them becoming highly sought after. Subsequent stock assessments have shown that they no longer exist in their former habitat. Will they ever return to take pride of place in the little rooms of every household? Only time will tell. bn

The strict bag limits now being imposed may save them. We need to see the baseline data though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

D2D49061-B798-40CF-8A4B-9D3DCB28505D.thumb.jpeg.a0d0ef7fd164bc40e4ba0fb9ab30015a.jpeg

Local knowledge always pay dividends. If you want the gps marks then send me a pm! 👍👍👍

cheers scratchie!!! 

Can't believe the recklessness of some people. After landing such a rare catch remove it well away from the water, preferably netted and gaffed.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JonD said:

Can't believe the recklessness of some people. After landing such a rare catch remove it well away from the water, preferably netted and gaffed.

It was well under control Jon. There was no chaffe on the leader and was well hooked. The action shot didn’t really do justice to comfort that this species provided 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well done Baz, I had a vision of it being hooked up as I read your post & as I scrolled down was great to see scratchie come to the rescue 🤣

I was actually looking for something in the cupboard the other day & came across 3 rolls I didn't even know I had & this was my reaction to seeing them 

work-03.jpg.873e7bf4628815f741ea46f10440f281.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Local knowledge always pay dividends. If you want the gps marks then send me a pm! 👍👍👍

cheers scratchie!!! 

Well, some lucky people, Jeff, seem to have inside knowledge of when these species are about to arrive on the scene and can place themselves in the right place at the right time to snare the bigger specimens, don’t they? 🤪😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scratchie said:

cheers scratchie!!! 

Looks like you use the same gear as me when bottom bashing scratchie :whistling:🤣

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 4